British Speedway Forum
TheScotsman

Sheffo's Proctor Out!

He will not have been given a few hours; there is always a right to appeal if you choose to spend the money and go down that route. However if you have no case why would you appeal? You should read more plenty are given a few hours notice; usually after a long process of argument and counter argument.

A bit of a contradiction there don't you think?

But he didn't know he was going to be kicked out so obviously no argument / counter argument.

And apparently he had to be out by midnight Tuesday. I do say apparently.

TBF, he would have known, or atleast should have known his work permit expired on Tuesday and should have been prepared for it. It's not like his average dropped over night, it's never been over 7.

But not if he had been told to get to 7 this season.

But not if he had been told to get to 7 this season.

But given all work visa requirements are based on rolling averages why would u think this would be an exception to that rule? And surely if getting an exception you'd ask for confirmation in writing?
  • Like 2

But based on end of season rolling averages. Proctor seems to have been an exception.

I would think the Sheffo management told him what he needed to achieve.

Sounds like they got it wrong.

But based on end of season rolling averages. Proctor seems to have been an exception.

I would think the Sheffo management told him what he needed to achieve.

Sounds like they got it wrong.

The beauty of a rolling average is it doesn't matter if it's taken in March, May, August or November - it's 20 meetings.

Sheffield are saying they thought it had to be a 4 and 4 average from this season well I suggest they should have read the BSPA wesbite specifically the bit that says, "Upon the expiry of their Certificate of Sponsorship, a rider returning to the UK must have achieved an Elite League CMA of 6.25 or a Premier League CMA of 7.00 in order to be eligible for endorsement. Riders must have achieved these averages, with a minimum of 20 meetings in the previous UK season or have qualified through meeting the National or State Championship criteria in Appendix 1"

I saw Ty tonight. He has now been given until Sunday to sort out his affairs and leave the country.

• Like 2

I spoke to Simon Parker earlier - he said that he is meant to be leaving tomorrow. Not even time for a proper p*** up given we are riding away tomorrow night.

Hopefully he will win a state championship and be back next year

Feel so sorry for Ty, I think sometimes common sense should prevail......... but this is speedway so that will never happen, too many fingers in the pie.

Edited by Hel'n'Back

Feel so sorry for Ty, I think sometimes common sense should prevail......... but this is speedway so that will never happen, too many fingers in the pie.

But thus isn't a speedway thing, its an immigration thing.

I do have a lot of sympathy for ty, and he should have no issue getting a top 4 state champ finish to qualify for a visa for next year.

• Like 3

The immigration system in the uk is a joke.We let in sponging scum bags from the e u who have no intention of working yet an aussie from our commonwealth cant come in to work,entertain and earn a living !!!!!!!! All this crap about keeping a brit out of a team is a non starter for me.Who is the brit with same average as Proctor who cant get fixed up ? We have a space now he cant ride, !!!!

• Like 5

It seems utterly bonkers that the application of this 'rule' is basically saying that Ty isn't good enough to be riding here. I wish him well and I hope we see him again next season. In the meantime I'm sure we'll be welcoming a bunch of very average EU riders who are also keeping British riders out of employment.

• Like 1

I feel for him too - but the problem with allowing 'common sense to prevail' is that it would mean making exceptions to the rule and, therefore, inconsistent decisions. And if you have inconsistent decision making then, whether it be speedway or other walks of life, the authorities get dragged over the coals.

• Like 2

Something I am puzzled about is that I thought any visa was only valid for the length of the riders contract.

That being the case why was Proctors visa from May 14 acceptable if he was only contracted to the end of the 2014 season?

• Like 1

I've just heard about this and I am appalled.

As someone has already stated - it appears that it is OK for all the ne'er do wells, Terrorists, Thieves, Pickpockets and Trash from all over the World to come to this Country and screw as much as they can out of us - yet a fully employed Speedway Rider from our own Commonwealth is turfed out at a moment's notice.

That can't be right, surely.

Len Silver will agree. This is an extract from a statement made last Februay:

“After a visit by a UK Visa and Immigration official, I realised that I would find it virtually impossible to comply with that organisation's requirements, since I have always regarded Australians in particular as "special" in that they invented the sport in 1924 and brought it to England in 1928, and have been a highly entertaining and integral part of Speedway for 86 years. I cannot accept that they should be regarded in a similar way to other non-European immigrants.

• Like 2