British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Cock-ups & Walk-outs To Remember

Wilkie throwing the ladder to the refs box above the grandstand at a Saddlebow Road onto the centre green in a fit of pique, when he was upset about a decision the ref made at the Bank Holiday meeting of Kings Lynn v. Belle Vue. I have photo's of that, so funny. :rofl:

Edited by Jim Blanchard
  • Like 2

My own favourite was the Oxford v Cardley match on 3 April 1975. The meeting was held in snow, and Cradley walked out after heat 7 leaving Oxford to ride round on their own to win 58-14.

I remember a couple of matches at Oxford being called off in good weather due to an over watered track. I actually gave up going to Oxford every week as a result.

1992 vs Swindon and Cradley Heath?

All the best

Rob

cock-up rather than walk out.

1969 i think Teesside v Canterbury - the Crusaders were carrying their men and machines in a converted bus which broke down.

Somehow Ron Wilson cobbled together a Northern Select team to replace them - including Barry Crowson who was travelling seperately and Alan Knapkin

there was an announcement that you could leave the stadium and get a refund or readmission or whatever but very few did in my memory.

Ron Wilson had his critics but he ran a tight show and i don't recall many weather call offs - not while he had sawdust to sprinkle

• Like 1

cock-up rather than walk out.

1969 i think Teesside v Canterbury - the Crusaders were carrying their men and machines in a converted bus which broke down.

Somehow Ron Wilson cobbled together a Northern Select team to replace them - including Barry Crowson who was travelling seperately and Alan Knapkin

there was an announcement that you could leave the stadium and get a refund or readmission or whatever but very few did in my memory.

Ron Wilson had his critics but he ran a tight show and i don't recall many weather call offs - not while he had sawdust to sprinkle

Aye - those were the days. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

Probably a bit late now, but, just off the top of my head, I can think of enough incidents at Long Eaton in that period to fill a couple of pages. At least eight!

I can remember a lot of incidents happening...I just can't remember who they were or exactly where they were as they were that long ago !

I remember Michael Lee walking out of a televised England v USA Test match in protest at Frank Ebdon and the new tape touching and rolling procedures ...Ebdon kept stopping his races for his starts and Lee stormed out of the meeting ...I remember him giving an interview in his civvies whilst the meeting was still going on and saying the new starting laws and especially Ebdon were killing speedway..

I remember Scott Autrey falling off in the wet at Hyde Road for Exeter and going home after 2 rides because of the wet track..

I can remember a lot of incidents happening...I just can't remember who they were or exactly where they were as they were that long ago !

I remember Michael Lee walking out of a televised England v USA Test match in protest at Frank Ebdon and the new tape touching and rolling procedures ...Ebdon kept stopping his races for his starts and Lee stormed out of the meeting ...I remember him giving an interview in his civvies whilst the meeting was still going on and saying the new starting laws and especially Ebdon were killing speedway..

I remember Scott Autrey falling off in the wet at Hyde Road for Exeter and going home after 2 rides because of the wet track..

almost correct. Lee did storm off but never got changed. The interview was in his leathers and he said the rule was killing speedway. Asked wether he was going to ride he said he had to it was England. I think the incident is on You Tube

almost correct. Lee did storm off but never got changed. The interview was in his leathers and he said the rule was killing speedway. Asked wether he was going to ride he said he had to it was England. I think the incident is on You Tube

If it's the same one I'm thinking, I am sure later on Lee was interviewed in his civvies, the May Bank Holiday 1984 match at Ipswich. He was sick of referees hounding him and said he was totally hacked/jacked off with the sport. The referee that day was Frank Ebdon. If my memory is correct, wasn't Lee wearing a black jacket in the last interview? How times change... when I actually got angry at England being beat, when I actually sat in front of the goggle box for any kind of speedway.