British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

Teamgb V. Great Britain?

When did the team change from being called England to GB? I remember in the 80s it was "England" though confusingly they wore the union jack from 81 or 82 onwards?

When did the team change from being called England to GB? I remember in the 80s it was "England" though confusingly they wore the union jack from 81 or 82 onwards?

It did used to be England in the 80's that's for sure....no idea when it changed but it's correct to be called Great Britain because that's what it is...as for the Union Jack , well that's what we used to do....England football fans always flew the Union Jack, the England 1982 World Cup football song was " we are Ron's 22 hear the roar of the red white and blue".........I don't think anybody flew or wore the St George flag......I think it wasn't until Euro 96 football that people actually started flying the red and white St George flag instead of the Union flag

We were England in the 2000 WTC and Team GB in the 2001 WC, so I guess something happened in between!

I'll continue calling us England until a Welshman or a Scot forces their way into the squad.

• Like 1

Can't we enter the SWC as England?.

No, because our representative federation is not just for England in speedway.

We are not Great Britain or TeamGB in the Commonwealth Games

Because it's a different sport and there are separate federations for each constituent country in the Commonwealth Games, and there quite a lot of other non-sovereign territories represented in that as well. We don't enter the Olympics as 'England'.

As for using the big Union Jack on the race suits, it is probablly politically incorrect to use our flag, which so many of us are proud of in case it upsets someone.

Well the speedway team actually represents Great Britain, not the United Kingdom, so strictly speaking the diagonal red cross should be removed from the Union Flag as that represents Northern Ireland.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

what an utterly pointless thing to get so worked up about!!

• Like 4

Well the speedway team actually represents Great Britain, not the United Kingdom, so strictly speaking the diagonal red cross should be removed from the Union Flag as that represents Northern Ireland.

Blimey! This thread has taken on a very different educational track! ;) Humphrey is absolutely right in what he says here though. Without the Irish element the British flag should, strictly speaking, revert to the Great Union Flag that was developed after King James I (James VI of Scotland) came to the throne. It is a commonly held, but incorrect, belief for people to think that Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain.

We were England in the 2000 WTC and Team GB in the 2001 WC, so I guess something happened in between!

I'll continue calling us England until a Welshman or a Scot forces their way into the squad.

Isn't Rosco Welsh?

I guess you don't call the American team America or USA then? It's just California?

And you don't come to the British GP in Cardiff? It's 100% in Wales, it's the Welsh GP.

Isn't Rosco Welsh?

He has Welsh relatives so possibly. But he was born in Swindon so probably considers himself English.

I guess you don't call the American team America or USA then? It's just California?

And you don't come to the British GP in Cardiff? It's 100% in Wales, it's the Welsh GP.

He has Welsh relatives so possibly. But he was born in Swindon so probably considers himself English.

You seem to have all the answers, enlighten me. Why England in 2000 and Great Britain in 2001?

You seem to have all the answers, enlighten me. Why England in 2000 and Great Britain in 2001?

Officially it has always been Great Britain. We have always been able to draw riders from any country which is represented by our ACU at the FIM, Up to the late 70s New Zealand fell into this category and as such were eligible for GB. From 1973, even though they were still eligible, we elected to drop the New Zealanders and use British riders only, to distinguish this change they were then known colloquially as England although still officially as Great Britan. By the late 70 New Zealand became affiliated to the FIM in their own right and were now not eligible anyway.

Whether you want to refer to them as England, Manchester or Roscoes select is up to you but they are, and always have been Great Britain

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the answer.

You are welcome

As to Ian's original point whether it should be Great Britain or Team GB, it is totally insignificant. It is a name, no more no less and the subject doesn't warrant the minute of my time this took to type