British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

Is this the same Jon Cook who was co promoter at Eastbourne often bending every rule in the book and using every trick up his sleeve to screw other teams over including my own beloved Hammers! Now he pretends that never happened and he is somehow holier than thou and wants to put everything right? Too late Mr Cook, sooner he jumps back into bed with the Dugard family the better.

• Like 3

Exactly that. The sports panders to the oldies. It plays old music, it's lets old people in for less, the presenters are meetings are generally in their 50s or 60s. Everything is about how things used to be done. The sport needs a kick up the arse to modernise itself - it doesn't need rules for that!

I'm an oldie, 69 years next month, but I am also fed up with the old music that is played at my home track. Decent music can create an atmosphere, that's why they have background music in films. Tracks can't create the atmosphere of the Cardiff GP because there is not enough people, but they can create the excitement and the music and presentation, why they can't be bothered beats me, perhaps you have to have a Performing Rights licence and pay a fee to play music that is less than 30 years old. Also agree the presenters and the presentation needs to be updated.

Exactly that. The sports panders to the oldies. It plays old music, it's lets old people in for less, the presenters are meetings are generally in their 50s or 60s. Everything is about how things used to be done. The sport needs a kick up the arse to modernise itself - it doesn't need rules for that!

Is this because the promoters aren't on the ball when it comes to music, I'm old but I like loads of modern music, I love loads of old music too, a mixture is the way to go.

Come on you 20 somethings, what else do u want?

Is this the same Jon Cook who was co promoter at Eastbourne often bending every rule in the book and using every trick up his sleeve to screw other teams over including my own beloved Hammers! Now he pretends that never happened and he is somehow holier than thou and wants to put everything right? Too late Mr Cook, sooner he jumps back into bed with the Dugard family the better.

On the other hand it could be he has now seen the light

I don't mind my Lakeside trips must admit, the mic man is bias towards the home team and that is how it should be, the track staff should all be high fiving their riders, playing some winning music (wipe out used to be played at Peterborough when they 5-1'd, it annoyed me sooooo much) etc. That just winds the away fans up which ultimately makes for extra atmosphere. Better excuse my language now lol

The promoters and riders just need to think about what the fans want to hear and see and put it into action, I don't think it would be very hard to turn things around for the current fans, if they can get the basics right then hopefully it will attract newbies?

The fixture list, rules and double uppers etc, more difficult to get right!

Look at the club's website! And apologise to Jon Cook perhaps?

No chance of that Bryn. Easy to put jump in feet first and get it wrong. It takes someone with a bit of backbone to apologise and it pretty clear from Mr Westons persistent whinging he hasn't got one.

No chance of that Bryn. Easy to put jump in feet first and get it wrong. It takes someone with a bit of backbone to apologise and it pretty clear from Mr Westons persistent whinging he hasn't got one.

Didn't get it wrong. You and probably of a similar age to Bryn and don't get this internet thingy.

Jon Cook needs to communicate with young people. He certainly won't do that through an article in a programme a week after the event.

And then, they put it online a week after the event.

No need for me to apologise.

Lakeside need to move in the 21st Century with their communications. At the moment they are stuck in the 1980s.

Sad but true

Didn't get it wrong. You and probably of a similar age to Bryn and don't get this internet thingy.

Jon Cook needs to communicate with young people. He certainly won't do that through an article in a programme a week after the event.

Lakeside need to move in the 21st Century with their communications. At the moment they are stuck in the 1980s.

Sad but true

What a load of cobblers! :) It's on the website which is a good site, updated regularly and the club also have a Facebook page. And, given my mangled mitts I do practically everything (within reason! :P ) on the internet as do many of "similar age" to me, and indeed older than me!

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

As one who attended the Forum, it was clear that there are elements within BSPA who are not 'forward/greater picture looking' and that JC is banging his head against a brick wall (outvoted) etc when trying effect meaningful change. I certainly got the impression he is just as frustrated as many of the fans.

Who said Cook is forward thinking ...look at some of the sutpid things he put forward in the past it's no wonder people vote against him .

As I said he just gone along with Poole over the years and sided with them time and time again while it has ripped speedway apart ,,,if he wants meaningful change maybe he should have stood up and been counted why Poole were calling off that home match against them a season or so ago ...as they say Talk is cheap .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

What a load of cobblers! :) It's on the website which is a good site, updated regularly and the club also have a Facebook page. And, given my mangled mitts I do practically everything (within reason! ;) ) on the internet as do many of similar age, and indeed older than me!

The point is Bryn is that the article is on the internet a week late. It is a simple as that.

In this digital age, there is no reason why that article could not have appeared the night of the meeting.

The fact that Mr Cook decided to give the news first in his programme - a week after the meeting - shows a clear lack of understanding about the power of the internet.

In fact, it is Luddite.

Lakeside have one of the best web sites, but there still doesn't seem to be any feature that allows for a two-way communication with the promoters.

Jon Cook has said that any fan can go and see him at any time up to 7pm on race days. Can you imagine a website with two way communication ? It would be jammed with the P-takers on here whose only pleasure in life is moaning.

Look at the sequence of events. A fans forum has been called to quash rumours about the future of the club. Rumours which gained traction on a Speedwáy forum. Cook meets the fans face to face in a two hour meeting. Spedway Star publish what are basically a few comments towards the end of the meeting that are very remote from the main thrust of the discussion. The main points of the discussion are then published in the programme. Cook says in his programme notes that the best suggestion from the floor was that every promoter should meet with the fans before the AGM and he would be passing that suggestion to the powers that be. Nobody who has posted on here complaining about the sport has said that is a good idea so presumably they think it is bad one.

A two way communication on a website in no way compares with a face to face discussion. I am not saying Cook is right in everything he said but he is the only promoter to meet the fans this side of the AGM. I am surprised nobody has come on here and said they would like the opportunity to meet with their promoter prior to the AGM.

Lakeside need to move in the 21st Century with their communications. At the moment they are stuck in the 1980s..,

e

Of course you got it wrong . Your first complaint was that it was not on the Internet but it was on the Internet. When you realised that you had got that wrong you back pedalled and said it was not on soon enough which is rubbis. Cooks first duty above all else is to his own fan base, not all of whom are on the Internet but a more sizeable portion don't sit at home trawling Speedwáy sites. It's prefectly reasonable that the notes should go on within 24 hours of the programme notes, and a week after the meeting.

I notice you have no comment on the notes themselves. If the worst thing anyone can say is that the notes went on the Internet a week after they should have done then Speedwáy has a lot less problems than I thought.

BTW. You have no idea whether I get the "Internet thing" as you call it or not. Scratching round for attempted insults detracts from the main thrust of your argument (at least it would if you had one)

What other sport in the World can you still get away with cheating? s.

Cricket, Athletics, wrestling , F1, various classes of saloon car racing, and I also heard something or other on the news the other day that there is some sort of suggestion of corruption in football, heaven forbid.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

I applaud Jon for having the Fans Forum.

However, we are then presented with a situation where we have no speedway for 2 weeks, 1 meeting, no speedway for another 2 weeks, then we have 2 meetings in the space of 4 days, all because of SKY - ludicrous.

was it cooks idea a few years with the farcical k.o cup ??? , if it was god help us , has to be the worse format I've ever witnessed , bordering on insane

Edited by hans fan
  • Like 1

was it cooks idea a few years with the farcical k.o cup ??? , if it was god help us , has to be the worse format I've ever witnessed , bordering on insane

I normally love a bit of man-on-man but even I was embarrassed by it!

It's not about using a computer programme, it's about taking the right meetings into account.

Belle Vue had two riders missing last night due to World U21 commitments. Clearly World U21 meetings weren't taken into account when producing the fixtures because Lakeside hadn't had a home meeting for three weeks and Belle Vue had no other Friday fixtures in May so there were plenty of opportunities to hold this meeting when riders were available.

Of course it's about inputting all meetings, that goes without saying!

It's not about using a computer programme, it's about taking the right meetings into account.

Belle Vue had two riders missing last night due to World U21 commitments. Clearly World U21 meetings weren't taken into account when producing the fixtures because Lakeside hadn't had a home meeting for three weeks and Belle Vue had no other Friday fixtures in May so there were plenty of opportunities to hold this meeting when riders were available.

Like the night before the two Gp's you mean ?