British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

the league winners are the champions and the top 4 go into a play off championship - call it what you will

that way its win win both camps get what they want

No it won't ..yet again another thing that has to be explain time and time again without the league title at stakes the play offs would mean nothing to the riders mangerment and most important the fans who would not turn up meaning big losses to the clubs .

• Like 2

Fans all over the world in loads of sports love play offs ...yet another myth that somehow it's only be bad in speedway ...yet again when comes to double points as I said before those same fans who say they don't go anymore were quite happy to go when you could have unlimited tac subs etc . Speedway has many problems but most of reasons tend to be stupid ones or old people wanting the rules to be the same when they used to go even thou those rules were just as daft .

Well, certainly a hell of a lot more people went to Speedway, when those stupid Rules applied (as you put it), than do now. Perhaps those 'old people' that you are so quick to denigrate and sneer at have a point.

You should also remember that without those 'old people' who supported the Sport for years - you would, in all probability, have no Speedway to support at all.

Exactly. And those same fans who say they don't go anymore because of the tactical ride still watch it on TV , so what's the. difference ? A tac ride is a tac ride whether it's on TV or watching it live.

Oh really ? Who did you hear that from ? A bloke in the pub ? Someone who said he was " in the know"? Someone who knew someone who knew someone whose mate knew something ? I heard that Lakeside were moving to Sittingbourne next year but that wasn't true either.

The MC are responsible for the fixtures. Jon Cook is even not on the MC, so yet again more forum gossip is dressed up as fact, meanwhile speedway's real problems rumble on, completely unnoticed by those that just like a good moan.

The difference is that I am not supporting something that I am so totally against in principle. I can watch it, get annoyed at the Black and White Helmet coming out without losing my temper and making a fool of myself at the Track.

I would love to go to Speedway again- but I won't as long as the 'Double Points' Rule exists.

• Like 2

Referring to the double points thing, I have never liked it, getting extra for doing the same as you would for getting 3 points I have never understood, at least with the old system you had to gain the points.

however what really brought it home to me how micky mouse it is was when I was watching the Glasgow Sheffield match on TV.

when Sheffield went 10 points down and Tatum said that because of being 10 points down they could nominate a rider to get double points, really reminded me of the serious sport of "Its a knockout"

But when a team was only 6 points down in the old days and a double tac come out it was great no doubt great ..a world champion could replace a reserve etc . the old rule was just as mickey mouse .

Edited by orion
  • Like 4

But when a team was only 6 points down in the old days and a double tac come out it was great no doubt great ..a world champion could replace a reserve etc . the old rule was just as mickey mouse .

I do not agree with any Tactical Ride - no matter how it is conceived.

• Like 1

Well, certainly a hell of a lot more people went to Speedway, when those stupid Rules applied (as you put it), than do now.

And that is the point as has been explained those rules were just as stupid in fact in my eyes more ...so it's quite clear is has no bearing on the state of the crowds .

And that is the point as has been explained those rules were just as stupid in fact in my eyes more ...so it's quite clear is has no bearing on the state of the crowds .

I'm sorry you are wrong. I don't go anymore because of 'Double Points'. How many more people, who do not go on Speedway Forums, have left the Sport as I have because of various Rule changes over the years?

I can remember when one Arthur Price (number 1 rider) would refuse to ride in heat 8 as a Tac rider because he did not want his average to be lowered by an inform number 2 (second string) or possibly an inform number 7 reserve rider lowering his average to.

I remember Arthur Price BC. A very good Rider as was Carl Glover.

Those were indeed the days!! :t:

• Like 1

I'm sorry you are wrong. I don't go anymore because of 'Double Points'. How many more people, who do not go on Speedway Forums, have left the Sport as I have because of various Rule changes over the years? .....

No I am correct as I said they had just as many stupid rules in the old days when the crowds were massive ..so people said they stopped going were lying to themselves ...as someone has pointed out if don't like double points why are you watching it on the tv ? after all it's the same rule if you are watching it live on if it's on sky .

No I am correct as I said they had just as many stupid rules in the old days when the crowds were massive ..so people said they stopped going were lying to themselves ...as someone has pointed out if don't like double points why are you watching it on the tv ? after all it's the same rule if you are watching it live on if it's on sky .

Were they now. Are you Mystic Meg? You can tell when people are lying to themselves? Clever that......................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blink:

Because when I get angry about it, which I do, I, as I have already said can rant and rave about it to myself - and not do so in Public.

Yeah, OK, lets get rid of the problem. Tony Mole, Nigel Pearson, Buster Chapman, Matt Ford, Chris Van Straaten, etc etc... they'll all be put up against a wall and shot at dawn. That'll help won't it?

It's a start. :lol:

Were they now. Are you Mystic Meg? You can tell when people are lying to themselves? Clever that......................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blink:

You don't have to be mystic to understand fans have left the sport for many reasons ...but if is was because of double points when they went when the old tac rule was in place they are indeed lying to themselves or just moaning for moaning sake . In your case if you never liked unfair or stupid rules you should never have gone at all .

You don't have to be mystic to understand fans have left the sport for many reasons ...but if is was because of double points when they went when the old tac rule was in place they are indeed lying to themselves or just moaning for moaning sake . In your case if you never liked unfair or stupid rules you should never have gone at all .

I have sometimes thought that myself.

• Like 1

I have sometimes thought that myself.

All sports have unusual rules. There is usually a good reason why they have them, but people don't listen or want to listen.

All sports have unusual rules. There is usually a good reason why they have them, but people don't listen or want to listen.

I know that you and I think differently on this Tsunami. I just cannot see any reason for certain Rules - and that's the problem.

It an odd one, the TR vs TS debate. I know the TS is more unfair but I'd love them to get rid of the TR and bring back the TS. We can all become arm-chair managers and frankly, thats part of the fun, discussing do you use a TS in this one, who do you use, do you wait for another heat etc. It's an extra dimension to a meeting. Where as a TR, my 6 year old niece is capable of counting to 10 and then putting a black and white helmet on a rider!