British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

No it won't ..yet again another thing that has to be explain time and time again without the league title at stakes the play offs would mean nothing to the riders mangerment and most important the fans who would not turn up meaning big losses to the clubs .

the KOC isn't a league title but that has meaning

i was just trying to suggest a compromise - i myself think the play offs work well as a crowd puller but it just feels like a swizz sometimes

The difference is that I am not supporting something that I am so totally against in principle. I can watch it, get annoyed at the Black and White Helmet coming out without losing my temper and making a fool of myself at the Track.

I would love to go to Speedway again- but I won't as long as the 'Double Points' Rule exists.

That's a very narrow minded, even childish attitude. Nobody hates the T/R rule more than I do. I absolutely loathe it, but I have to accept that some people like it and I can't have everything my own way in life, You have to get along with others who have a different opinion and you have to compromise sometimes. It seems to me that one T/R per meeting as we have now is a fair compromise. It is probabably the least unfair version of the T/S-TR rule there has ever been and very rarely changes the ultimate result of the match, so as much as I hate the rule , once per match in the interests of others getting something they like is fair enough.

If you insist on no T/R rule then what you are saying , in effect is that your opinion is more important than the opinions of those who like the rule. Life isn't like that. You have to try to get along with people.

• Like 2

the KOC isn't a league title but that has meaning

Yea that's why it was got rid at El level of because of the lack of crowds just like the craven shield was .

Edited by orion

Ok put it this way. The winner of the season, is the winner of the league. Let them have their play offs which was an idea of SKY and the double points if I remember correct, I know they had a lot to with it.

The 4 top team meet not to decide who wins the league, but have a trophy match, seems a much fairer way to me after all the work a team puts in, only to find your team has suffered from injuries as with Kings Lynne last year, and be beaten to the top spot because of it.

I for one can't stand the double points, better this year with just one ride, but as I see it if a team is 10 points up then they have earned it it should stay that way. We have seen some dredful rulels in speedway over the years and no doubt we will see them again and again. Just hope for once that at one AGM they can manage to realise that the sport is in dire straight and sit together to try and find an answer, to where it has gone wrong.

The drop in the number of fans has come with the change in life styles, there is so much more for people to do than in the old glory days of speedway.

That's a very narrow minded, even childish attitude. Nobody hates the T/R rule more than I do. I absolutely loathe it, but I have to accept that some people like it and I can't have everything my own way in life, You have to get along with others who have a different opinion and you have to compromise sometimes. It seems to me that one T/R per meeting as we have now is a fair compromise. It is probabably the least unfair version of the T/S-TR rule there has ever been and very rarely changes the ultimate result of the match, so as much as I hate the rule , once per match in the interests of others getting something they like is fair enough.

If you insist on no T/R rule then what you are saying , in effect is that your opinion is more important than the opinions of those who like the rule. Life isn't like that. You have to try to get along with people.

No - what I am saying is that it against my principles. Others have different principles to which they are entitled.

I don't say anyone else shouldn't go - but this is my form of Protest.

Ok put it this way. The winner of the season, is the winner of the league. Let them have their play offs which was an idea of SKY and the double points if I remember correct, I know they had a lot to with it.

The 4 top team meet not to decide who wins the league, but have a trophy match, seems a much fairer way to me after all the work a team puts in, only to find your team has suffered from injuries as with Kings Lynne last year, and be beaten to the top spot because of it.

Already been answered the fans do not wish to watch matches that have no meaning ...just another example of fans having little idea of the money side of the sport .

I think realistically one of the reasons that crowds stay away is costs................I can't afford to go every week like I used to..........I am still on the same money I was 5 years ago.............it would cost me to take the whole family in the region of £100 per meeting (4 adults and 1 15 year old including food and drink)...........the hours I work only allow me to go to 2 out of every 3 meetings anyway................

However my biggest bug bear with the sport is that promoters don't know how to promote...........a lot of them sit on their backsides expecting the world to come to them.............They need to get out there with publicity around the area........get into the schools and other places where they can encourage people to take an interest............one thing you can say about Poole is they have a promoter who is also a shrewd businessman who knows how to promote..............there are others that do notably the new Glasgow promotion but there are a lot that don't..............and promoters need to listen to the fans and I mean listen...........not just say something to appease them and then go back on their word.............

RP

Promoters are best off not promoting... especially the state British speedway is currently in.

I mean, you go out with a dvd of brilliaint races, latch up all the newcomers for the next home match, and then...

Exactly.

Meeting held up while work is done on the track.

New fans stand about, thinking they have entered a tractor grading competition by mistake and a bunch of clowns in ridiculous coloured overalls that are pretending to know what they are doing but wish instead they'd have paid to get in instead of being a volunteer.

After it is announced that the meeting will start, once we know what is what, new fans decide to have a walk about... and see the hilarious sights of well-used-to-it regulars, the natty anoraks, filled with patches of riders of yore and material holding on to the last whiff of Watney Brown Ale stains.

As the last trickles of the turnstiles click, it is announced that the match is off for tonight, as the track is unfit, not to mention the people that run the sport

We tend to forgot, we are living only what we have expected. It's a sport run as a side-business by moderately wealthy people, with the help of numerous individuals who do there efforts for free.

It is a sport that nobody can confine all their time to. It is a sport that is given perhaps 12 hours a week preparation. Without their real businesses, many promoters wouldn't be able to afford running any club.

It's a make-do effort.

We live in hope that it will be put right, one day, but no one is going to afford sufficient time to really give speedway what it deserves. There is no money,no gain, and when a full week's work can be ruined by a rainy afternoon, you have to commend each and every "Promoter" that puts least alone the security of their outside life in jeopardy?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Yea that's why it was got rid at El level of because of the lack of crowds just like the craven shield was .

The KOC failed because the promoters treated it as an irrelevant after thought and run it in September and October. Have it do EVERY KOC meeting (in the same round obviously) takes place in the same week. We all know then when the KOC meetings will take place in March. Round would could be sometimes in April, round two in May or June. And the final in July or August. Have actual dates for it, make it a big thing. Have the KOC draw live on twitter the day after the last meeting (or the following Tuesday as thats BSPA meeting day) and you could make a big thing of it.

Not trying to squash meetings in after the league is over and it's cold and wet.

Already been answered the fans do not wish to watch matches that have no meaning ...just another example of fans having little idea of the money side of the sport .

most matches have no meaning when a guest is involved

its all fairly meaningless really

most matches have no meaning when a guest is involved

its all fairly meaningless really

?? Speedway has nearly always had guests ...so seeing that is your take why did ever watch speedway in the first place .

?? Speedway has nearly always had guests ...so seeing that is your take why did ever watch speedway in the first place .

God you're hard work

we used to put up with all manner of crap in the old days - diehards still do

theres not enough die hards left though

unless you think there is

by the way i watched speedway at Cleveland Park and saw about 500 meetings there

the number of guests i saw could be counted on the fingers of one or two hands

same with weather cancellations

I dunno - go figure as the yanks say

• Like 1

God you're hard work

we used to put up with all manner of crap in the old days - diehards still do

theres not enough die hards left though

unless you think there is

Not really it's just another example of someone putting down speedway today from a rule that was in force when they went .

• Like 1

Not really it's just another example of someone putting down speedway today from a rule that was in force when they went .

I an not putting down speedway i love it as much as the next man

but TIMES CHANGE

people won't put up with it any more - which is what i said in my post that you didn;t bother reading in you insatiable quest to be a smart ass

besides as i clearly explained guests were few and far between - if that were still the case perhaps it wouldn't be an issue

but its not the case and it is an issue

in fact its not an issue its an anachronistic farce

• Like 1

I an not putting down speedway i love it as much as the next man

but TIMES CHANGE

people won't put up with it any more - which is what i said in my post that you didn;t bother reading in you insatiable quest to be a smart ass

besides as i clearly explained guests were few and far between - if that were still the case perhaps it wouldn't be an issue

but its not the case and it is an issue

in fact its not an issue its an anachronistic farce

Not really in nearly match even in the old days there was likely to be a guest it's the nature of the sport ...you said that any match with a guest had no meaning ...in a sport that has always had them and and when no one has come up with a better idea on how to replace missing or injured riders your comment is way over the top .