British Speedway Forum
heathen chemistry

Scrap The Controversial Heat 10 Rule!

the stupid rule is ruining our sport , whenever speedway is on sky this rule dictates proceeding instead of rider safety!

• Like 3

i heard several mutterings on the way out last night from disillusioned Coventry fans who said sky/promoters insisting on running meetings when the weather forecast clearly suggests a meeting will not run its course is short-changing fans.

Another example of driving fans away.. what an awful damp squib that was. Personally I think the promotion owes us some money as we only saw 9 races with both side competing.

• Like 1

Totally agree. You cannot call ten heats a full meeting when it is programmed over 15.

I think the cut off for the result being declared was once 12 races but was moved to ten. Why?

Ten races - Is that fair on the paying public; putting aside what went on at Coventry last night?

I would say 10 heats means fans have to pay again (discounted entry) if meeting is re run in future, 12 heats must be run to declare a result !

Edited by whoswinnin86
  • Like 1

what other sports have this stupid rule

what if it was the play off final last night would that be a fair way to decide the title!

sky are doing damage to our sport by this rule

also why didnt they listen to the forcast every other club running that night called off early they knew no fans where going to turn up because of the forcast!

So do you propose going back to the old 6 heats rule that we had in the good old days? We had the same problems then but it wasn't down to Sky.

In the good old days 6 heats were regularly forced through and then everyone sent home with no refund.

I don't think the rule itself is the problem, it's the way it's applied. Last night should have been called off around heat 8.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 5

i heard several mutterings on the way out last night from disillusioned Coventry fans who said sky/promoters insisting on running meetings when the weather forecast clearly suggests a meeting will not run its course is short-changing fans.

Another example of driving fans away.. what an awful damp squib that was. Personally I think the promotion owes us some money as we only saw 9 races with both side competing.

Were these the same fans who were at the Cov v Lakeside match (not on sky ) that was also ran when the forcast showed that it might not run it's course and only lasted 10 heats ? .. to be fair I never heard much from anyone about that match

If they knew from the weather forecast that the meeting would be abandoned, why did they go?

• Like 2

To be fair it is not just speedway, in other sports they often call results without full play.

Personally I think heat 12 is a more realistic 'end point' for a result, I thought it always used to be heat 12 in the past or maybe I am making that up (I am getting old). I guess the only other and fair way to decide when to call a meeting is if rain is threatening to end a meeting early, it can only be called a result at the point where the other team can no longer mathematically (using 5-1's) not take (win) points, be that somehow heat 10 or up to heat 14 etc. Otherwise it is everyone back for a re-run meeting.

Edited by TheReturn

what other sports have this stupid rule

what if it was the play off final last night would that be a fair way to decide the title!

sky are doing damage to our sport by this rule

also why didnt they listen to the forcast every other club running that night called off early they knew no fans where going to turn up because of the forcast!

Not that I like the 10 heat rule in speedway, but there are other sports that have shortened matches, far, far bigger ones than speedway.

Cricket and Baseball to name two.

• Like 1

Not that I like the 10 heat rule in speedway, but there are other sports that have shortened matches, far, far bigger ones than speedway.

Cricket and Baseball to name two.

A speedway version of Duckworth-Lewis is what's needed...

• Like 2

The principle of the Heat 10 type rule would be reasonable in most sports.

But Speedway is not run in a reasonable way by people of principle.

The licensed officials that have been at the centre of the last few televised disasters have been woeful in every respect.

Messrs Clarke, Steel, Lawrence, Russell et al.

A disgrace one and all.

it should be at least 12 before a result declared....

also would like sky to LISTEN to weather forcasts if its like last night forget it running in those conditions and showing it 'live' on tv does the sport no favours and does not attract new fans or sponsors!!!!!!

in fact it brings the sport down ....

The licensed officials that have been at the centre of the last few televised disasters have been woeful in every respect.

Messrs Clarke, Steel, Lawrence, Russell et al.

A disgrace one and all.

I thought Havelock came out badly last night, far more than any officials.

I thought Havelock came out badly last night, far more than any officials.

August 29, 1992.

Would be the last day when that was not the case.