British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Crusader

Kent V Eastbourne 29/6

Get rid of Len and get someone that gives a hoot.

The team is far too top heavy and the track isn't conducive to good racing . Could be though quite easily. Good little track with a bit of banking and some dirt. Also why do they insist on watering the blue groove ? The dust comes from dirt not rubber . I like Kent speedway, shame it's not run to its potential.

• Like 3

I'm a regular at rye, eastbourne and kent. All three tracks have been poor at times this season, excessive dust at all three venues. Who is to blame, the track curator, the promoter or does the material used these days fail to retain water. It's a problem that occurs during afternoon and evening meetings during the summer months. I know I'm getting fed up with it, god knows how the riders must feel riding with limited visibility.

As a permanent track with nothing else running on it the surface should be better than it is. Definitely more dirt is required but I suspect that would be in excess of 200 tonnes to make any noticeable impact and that is certainly not cheap. Added in that im not convinced the base is in A1 condition as there is a tendency for holes to open up in places.

Yes the riders would take a while to adapt to a different track surface but its not like they are flying now.......

I agree with all this criticism and would just add that its Len Silvers fault as well.

As a promoter who is (was?) renown for being one of the best in the business, he appears to have lost the plot or become completely disinterested.

They seem not to realise that stand alone clubs have nothing else. I mean if Kings Lynn's NL team doesn't do well its of no real concern because their bread and better is the Elite league. Kent now face the season finishing in a few weeks (end of August final match?) long before the bad weather sets in so its no real surprise that people are already giving up on 2015!, I wonder if some will come back at all!

I can only hope the promoters wake up, count the crowd and do something!

(Sorry but Danno Verge has to go, he will never make the grade)

Problem is Old Hawk Len Silver has lost the plot, Cearns I think lives in another world and manager Hunt isn’t in Stummo's view the right man for the job. Verge is way out of his depth as have been the other 3 pointers

what makes you think that kent are losing money, they have no landlords and get very good crowds for NL racing.

The crowds are well down on last season and the season before. Bet it's only around breakeven if they're lucky

Get rid of Len and get someone that gives a hoot.

The team is far too top heavy and the track isn't conducive to good racing . Could be though quite easily. Good little track with a bit of banking and some dirt. Also why do they insist on watering the blue groove ? The dust comes from dirt not rubber . I like Kent speedway, shame it's not run to its potential.

They couldn’t promote if they tried. No atmosphere in the place, although the few fans that are left do try to promote an atmosphere.

Call me old fashion but they need the following

1. Raffle sellers walking around the stadium

2. A seller selling walking around with Speedway Star’s & Backtrack

3. A Supporters Club

4. Better presentation in between races, i.e. a person in the pits keeping the fans updated

5. A full parade of riders at 6:20 before the first race at 6.30

Mr Cearns I also believe wants EL racing every other Friday in 2016 with NL racing in between. Utter madness in my humble opinion.

Perhaps the delays each week are for the club to go back to the council and ask for an extra 30 minutes? They are robbing both the riders of point’s money and the paying public of races. There lethargic way they run the meetings, not a care in the world.

All in all it’s a very poor show at Central Park. The track has been awful from day one and I think I’ll be better spending my hard earned cash elsewhere.

Edited by Dave Stummings

The presentation is scratchy & the heat 10 interval is often debatable if required / adding to curfew risk quite often.

As promoter / manager id be wanting the Kings riders ready and on track as soon as each 2 minutes come on to set a better example and try to drag the away riders along.

As for Danno he has gone backwards alarmingly this year and feel the end is nigh. Jamie is a victim of the others failings and being pushed up to 2 but still has far to go.

Ive seen little if any improvement from all 3 (Sheppard already gone) and feel its time to try a new approach. The season may be done but sourcing a new bottom end for next year must be wise? At least if new blood starts to improve the fans will have pone thing to cheer about.

Mr Cearns I also believe wants EL racing every other Friday in 2016 with NL racing in between. Utter madness in my humble opinion.

Perhaps the delays each week are for the club to go back to the council and ask for an extra 30 minutes?

They already have approval for Friday nights only between 18:00 and 21:30.

I agree with your comment on Len. He seems to be trying to sabotage NL racing at Rye House as well.

Problem is Old Hawk Len Silver has lost the plot, Cearns I think lives in another world and manager Hunt isn’t in Stummo's view the right man for the job. Verge is way out of his depth as have been the other 3 pointers

The crowds are well down on last season and the season before. Bet it's only around breakeven if they're lucky

They couldn’t promote if they tried. No atmosphere in the place, although the few fans that are left do try to promote an atmosphere.

Call me old fashion but they need the following

1. Raffle sellers walking around the stadium

2. A seller selling walking around with Speedway Star’s & Backtrack

3. A Supporters Club

4. Better presentation in between races, i.e. a person in the pits keeping the fans updated

5. A full parade of riders at 6:20 before the first race at 6.30

Perhaps the delays each week are for the club to go back to the council and ask for an extra 30 minutes? They are robbing both the riders of point’s money and the paying public of races. There lethargic way they run the meetings, not a care in the world.

All in all it’s a very poor show at Central Park. The track has been awful from day one and I think I’ll be better spending my hard earned cash elsewhere.

Agree about Mr Silver.

The way his entourage treated supporters last season (not allowing anyone into pits)I know p****d off fans and some do not go anymore.

Crowds are well down this season (unless a certain person comes on and disagrees) and the Club has gone backwards in the 3 years.

Mr Cearns is supposed to be in charge,but you never hear anything from him ??

I know it is third tier Speedway but everything is so amateurish - presentation,track,lax the way it is run.

Unless the Club show some ambition I will not go anymore.

Edited by AJ is King
  • Like 1

personally. change the bloke on the mic, very clear but also very very monotone and boring.

It's heartbreaking to read these posts and the ones on Kents fb page.

We put so much effort into starting up the Kings and to see it unravel so badly in the last 2 years is soul destroying.

Unfortunately you reap what you sow and most of our concerns seem to have happened.

Is it too late if a new promoter came in to work with Roger. Who knows but that stadium deserves alot more than its getting.

Edited by Nikko
  • Like 2

We put so much effort into starting up the Kings and to see it unravel so badly in the last 2 years is soul destroying.

Unfortunately you reap what you sow and most of our concerns seem to have happened.

Is it too late if a new promoter came in to work with Roger. Who knows but that stadium deserves alot more than its getting.

[/quote

Simple.

Kent Kings need you back and take the Club forward.

It has/is going backwards as far as I am concerned.

Great Stadium - but poor track,badly run meetings and we hear nothing from owner Mr Cearns.

Such a shame.

Edited by AJ is King

I remember reading that the Kings wanted local KENT riders in their team. There are two Kent based grasstrack riders who are on Eastbournes books. Charley Powell scored 8+1 in his first Nat Lge meeting guesting for Birmingham last night. How come we got the dud riders from Kent?

It's never too late. I have decided not to go again this season, but I am more a floating fan than a Kent die hard supporter, I go to Kent as it is local, as is Arena

I will be getting my speedway fix at Lakeside for the remainder of the season

The problem I see is this, and it's not Kents fault, but every year you have to lose half the team, now I know it is a development league, but to lose riders such as mason, Simon Lambert and Benji Compton, and replace them with riders who after half a season, still struggle to complete 4 laps makes what's on offer a lesser product, don't get me wrong here, James Shanes has been worth the entrance fee alone some weeks

I completely understand teams who run in the NL who have elite league clubs also, can concentrate on maybe producing that one young star who can make the transition to the teams elite league side like Robert lambert or james sergent have for Lynn and Cov, and then everything becomes worth while

but year after year you will have to rip the heart out of your team just to meet the extremely low averages

Eastbourne fans seem to be loving their speedway at the moment,and who can blame them, much like Kent in the early years, but give it a few years when they will have to lose BWD, Wood and Dugard and replace them with the likes of Danno Verge and Adam Shepherd, I believe the enthusiasm will wane

It is possible to unearth a few gems on a low average like Kent did with Danny Ayres, etc but any top 3 pointers like ellis perks usually end up at Cradley, leaving slim pickings for the rest

Kent have to do something, anything, to rekindle the interest, If, Kent were challenging on any front for some silverwear, then the season wouldn't be over, but the way they went out with a whimper on Monday, and as far as I can see, that was more down to the promotion and team manager than the riders has left Kent fans with nothing, season over, all that after such a promising season last year, which the Kent fans were hoping to build on, Kent have taken steps backwards

I have also heard the elite league rumours, not sure it would be financially viable, but I do believe the fans would come back if the team was well put together, and to run alternate weeks from Lakeside, The Kent crowd deserve better than what's currently on offer.

• Like 1

Losing your best riders year in year out to the points limit has been the nature of the sport at any level in Britain for years.

The Kings' top four is one of, if not the best top four in the league. Most of that top four was signed before the announcement of the points limit and that left the Kings very top heavy however. Now it is too late to make any changes without dropping at least two of that quartet which is highly unlikely to happen.

Losing your best riders year in year out to the points limit has been the nature of the sport at any level in Britain for years.

The Kings' top four is one of, if not the best top four in the league. Most of that top four was signed before the announcement of the points limit and that left the Kings very top heavy however. Now it is too late to make any changes without dropping at least two of that quartet which is highly unlikely to happen.

Kings Lynn didn't have that problem this season and they finished 2nd, It's ok for Rye, if they have a really good youngster he can go from the raiders to the rockets, Kents just go to other clubs, there can be no progression, National league definitely has a purpose, just not sure its good for stand alone clubs for too long, Maybe because I was bought up on the old national league where riders could at least complete the races

Most teams have built to a strong top 4 and then 3 others. The difference is that Kent reacted slowly & the others played the estimated risks better.

There are plenty of rookies in the league this year and some have struggled but nowhere near as much as those at Kent. Sadly Adam & Danno have been around the scene for a while and not really improved whilst Jamie is sorely lacking in racing experience.

Last year with Luke Harris & Danny at reserve there was definite signs of improvement and the fans would back them even on an off night.

To survive in this league teams need strong links into the MDL, amateur meetings or training schools to pick up the rookies with potential and the Kent promotion seem detached and oblivious to that.

• Like 1