British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Crusader

Kent V Eastbourne 29/6

It's never too late. I have decided not to go again this season, but I am more a floating fan than a Kent die hard supporter, I go to Kent as it is local, as is Arena

I will be getting my speedway fix at Lakeside for the remainder of the season

The problem I see is this, and it's not Kents fault, but every year you have to lose half the team, now I know it is a development league, but to lose riders such as mason, Simon Lambert and Benji Compton, and replace them with riders who after half a season, still struggle to complete 4 laps makes what's on offer a lesser product, don't get me wrong here, James Shanes has been worth the entrance fee alone some weeks

I completely understand teams who run in the NL who have elite league clubs also, can concentrate on maybe producing that one young star who can make the transition to the teams elite league side like Robert lambert or james sergent have for Lynn and Cov, and then everything becomes worth while

but year after year you will have to rip the heart out of your team just to meet the extremely low averages

Eastbourne fans seem to be loving their speedway at the moment,and who can blame them, much like Kent in the early years, but give it a few years when they will have to lose BWD, Wood and Dugard and replace them with the likes of Danno Verge and Adam Shepherd, I believe the enthusiasm will wane

It is possible to unearth a few gems on a low average like Kent did with Danny Ayres, etc but any top 3 pointers like ellis perks usually end up at Cradley, leaving slim pickings for the rest

Kent have to do something, anything, to rekindle the interest, If, Kent were challenging on any front for some silverwear, then the season wouldn't be over, but the way they went out with a whimper on Monday, and as far as I can see, that was more down to the promotion and team manager than the riders has left Kent fans with nothing, season over, all that after such a promising season last year, which the Kent fans were hoping to build on, Kent have taken steps backwards

I have also heard the elite league rumours, not sure it would be financially viable, but I do believe the fans would come back if the team was well put together, and to run alternate weeks from Lakeside, The Kent crowd deserve better than what's currently on offer.

BWD can do another season with him as he will have the pickings as where to ride (not a weekend track) means he will do 90% of the season, Also means then Wood, Dugard, will be in the team as they are not ready to move up, followed by Powel, Brennan. and not forgetting Richard Andrews who is now an Eastbourne Asset, so it looks like Eastbourne are already set for 2016 with out too much trouble, just need one more person to take up with BWD to steady the ship.

Kent have the pickings of all the young riders at the Rye House when len runs the training schools, Easy come for len he only has to overcome his son to see who they pick between them.

It's never too late. I have decided not to go again this season, but I am more a floating fan than a Kent die hard supporter, I go to Kent as it is local, as is Arena I will be getting my speedway fix at Lakeside for the remainder of the season The problem I see is this, and it's not Kents fault, but every year you have to lose half the team, now I know it is a development league, but to lose riders such as mason, Simon Lambert and Benji Compton, and replace them with riders who after half a season, still struggle to complete 4 laps makes what's on offer a lesser product, don't get me wrong here, James Shanes has been worth the entrance fee alone some weeks I completely understand teams who run in the NL who have elite league clubs also, can concentrate on maybe producing that one young star who can make the transition to the teams elite league side like Robert lambert or james sergent have for Lynn and Cov, and then everything becomes worth while but year after year you will have to rip the heart out of your team just to meet the extremely low averages Eastbourne fans seem to be loving their speedway at the moment,and who can blame them, much like Kent in the early years, but give it a few years when they will have to lose BWD, Wood and Dugard and replace them with the likes of Danno Verge and Adam Shepherd, I believe the enthusiasm will wane It is possible to unearth a few gems on a low average like Kent did with Danny Ayres, etc but any top 3 pointers like ellis perks usually end up at Cradley, leaving slim pickings for the rest Kent have to do something, anything, to rekindle the interest, If, Kent were challenging on any front for some silverwear, then the season wouldn't be over, but the way they went out with a whimper on Monday, and as far as I can see, that was more down to the promotion and team manager than the riders has left Kent fans with nothing, season over, all that after such a promising season last year, which the Kent fans were hoping to build on, Kent have taken steps backwards I have also heard the elite league rumours, not sure it would be financially viable, but I do believe the fans would come back if the team was well put together, and to run alternate weeks from Lakeside, The Kent crowd deserve better than what's currently on offer.

Why run alternative weeks to Lakeside? We should run every Friday regardless of what the neighbours do. Don't think our fan base is remotely interested in Lakeside anyway and certainly crowd levels will not suffer at central park when arena essex is running at the same time. We'll that's my view anyway.

Kings Lynn didn't have that problem this season and they finished 2nd, It's ok for Rye, if they have a really good youngster he can go from the raiders to the rockets, Kents just go to other clubs, there can be no progression, National league definitely has a purpose, just not sure its good for stand alone clubs for too long, Maybe because I was bought up on the old national league where riders could at least complete the races

They were lucky that the points limit was raised.

As catinthehat has said Len Silver oversees the training schools at Rye, he is in touch with the youth scene. Sittingbourne run practice sessions, there must be young riders there too that are literally on the Kings' doorstep. Then on top of that there are grasstrackers and motorcross converts, it's not as it there are no riders about.

• Like 1

Why run alternative weeks to Lakeside? We should run every Friday regardless of what the neighbours do. Don't think our fan base is remotely interested in Lakeside anyway and certainly crowd levels will not suffer at central park when arena essex is running at the same time. We'll that's my view anyway.

I know plenty of fans myself included that attend both.

They were lucky that the points limit was raised.

As catinthehat has said Len Silver oversees the training schools at Rye, he is in touch with the youth scene. Sittingbourne run practice sessions, there must be young riders there too that are literally on the Kings' doorstep. Then on top of that there are grasstrackers and motorcross converts, it's not as it there are no riders about.

I do agree that there are riders about if you look in the right places. Iwade I believe cannot run speedway machines atm?

As for the Rye training days from what I hear there have been very few this year and Len is seldom in attendance for very long hence Andrew has the graduates and Len doesn't. Add in that they have dropped the Rye MDL team this year I would say that developing Kents own riders seems down the priority list sadly.

How come then that Georgie Wood never been on a speedway bike till this season and local lad to Kent goes and rides for Eastbourne, Charlie Powel also a local Lad signed for Eastbourne must mean they are doing something right and Kent are not. I know that George had bikes from Eastbourne and some Equipment to use but they have used that as an investment for the future, the knock on effect is that George must have told Charlie and so on, all i can say is that the Eastbourne boys love CP and always seem to go well there.

wonder how many other kids want to go to Eastbourne because they are being treated like a speedway rider and not a number, Grass Roots speedway. Look after the seeds and the grass will grow. (which direction it grows is another thing)

• Like 1

Eastbourne ran a few practice days over the winter / last season to see who was about / available and sadly Kent cannot do that.

Georgie also has some very useful connections within the speedway world who pointed him in the right direction although no doubting his motorcycling talent and natural ability. However the never been on a speedway bike until this season my ears. He was doing second halves about 3 years ago but didn't get picked up.

That said cant knock anything about the way Eastbourne have treated their riders this year, kevlars, backing both technically and financially. The big club approach in a lower league clearly works well.

It was only a rumour I heard, not my preference, and would only apply if kings went elite, which was also what I was told, not by anyone from the club mind, so could be complete rubbish