British Speedway Forum

Hoping for some tips! I've booked for me and my fellow speedway followers to stay at Newport Student Campus accommodation for next year's Cardiff GP. How easy and regular are the trains to /from Cardiff? Are there any drinking holes close to the campus for an evening tipple before falling into bed? Is the place reasonably clean and tidy? (I shall be taking my own kettle and mugs plus a hairdryer and toiletries even though these last 2 items are meant to be provided).

Ta muchly for any advice.

Hoping for some tips! I've booked for me and my fellow speedway followers to stay at Newport Student Campus accommodation for next year's Cardiff GP. How easy and regular are the trains to /from Cardiff? Are there any drinking holes close to the campus for an evening tipple before falling into bed? Is the place reasonably clean and tidy? (I shall be taking my own kettle and mugs plus a hairdryer and toiletries even though these last 2 items are meant to be provided).

Ta muchly for any advice.

Why Newport and not Cardiff?

It's near the city centre but the opposite side from the train station. The centre of Newport is currently a crap hole that has nothing at all there to entice you in of an evening so would advise if wanting a drink, stay in Cardiff and get the last train home - you have a couple of hours after the GP so no rush - at worst its £35 in a taxi. That said, there is a whole new massive redevelopment of the city centre happening right now (they have literally flattened half the city centre and re-built it) with loads of new shops, a cinema and restaurants so it's possible by then it'll be more welcoming and less chavvy. Feel free to ask me nearer the time when I'll have tried out the new stuff. But weirdly, for a stupid place, there no pub within stumbling distance.

The actual location its self is not the best (ie, take care wander down that road at night, certainly if you're female and alone!). And to call it a Campus is really pushing it. It's a single university building with a single block of uni halls a quarter of a mile down the road with a bingo hall in the middle!

As for the train, every 10 minutes or so a train goes from Newport to Cardiff and vice-versa and takes between 15-20 minutes and costs about fiver for a return ticket. GP day the trains tend to be packed full of speedway supporters who are all ready for the GP so the day starts then really! In fact get your in 'Spoons opposite the station before you leave and there usually a few of us in there having breakfast.

It's near the city centre but the opposite side from the train station. The centre of Newport is currently a crap hole that has nothing at all there to entice you in of an evening so would advise if wanting a drink, stay in Cardiff and get the last train home - you have a couple of hours after the GP so no rush - at worst its £35 in a taxi. That said, there is a whole new massive redevelopment of the city centre happening right now (they have literally flattened half the city centre and re-built it) with loads of new shops, a cinema and restaurants so it's possible by then it'll be more welcoming and less chavvy. Feel free to ask me nearer the time when I'll have tried out the new stuff. But weirdly, for a stupid place, there no pub within stumbling distance.

The actual location its self is not the best (ie, take care wander down that road at night, certainly if you're female and alone!). And to call it a Campus is really pushing it. It's a single university building with a single block of uni halls a quarter of a mile down the road with a bingo hall in the middle!

As for the train, every 10 minutes or so a train goes from Newport to Cardiff and vice-versa and takes between 15-20 minutes and costs about fiver for a return ticket. GP day the trains tend to be packed full of speedway supporters who are all ready for the GP so the day starts then really! In fact get your in 'Spoons opposite the station before you leave and there usually a few of us in there having breakfast.

Thanks for the advice -- I attempted to search for Cardiff (I noticed a comment from you regarding this in a previous post) but had no joy in my search. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have free cancellation on this accommodation and have yet to commit to parting with cash to park the car so I have left myself a choice.

SCB is a being a little harsh in his description of Newport, I think. True, at the moment the city centre is one big building site. But by this time next year the new development is going to be well and truly up and running, and that will change the whole nature of the place. I've heard that there is already a 'discreet' policing policy to eradicate the city centre of pond life. Your proposed accommodation is less than ten minutes walk from the new development and only a few minutes more to the station. SCB is right in that the train service is dead easy. There are plenty of pubs near the station, not only fizz-bars but one or two decent real ale hostelries. I am also sure that long before next July Tiny Rebel will have a city centre bar in Newport to rival their Urban Tap House in Cardiff. You won't have any problems in Newport should you decide to base yourselves here next July.

Agree about Newport, crap hole & Cardiff, the capital of Wales & NOT a Michelin star restaurant in the City!

Good evening,

I have left it late to try and book in Cardiff for my family but could anyone advise if Bristol is worth taking a punt on?

There does seem to be a good rail network only problem appears to be the last decent train at 8.30pm

What time did the Gp get done this year.

Thanks for your advice

Good evening,

I have left it late to try and book in Cardiff for my family but could anyone advise if Bristol is worth taking a punt on?

There does seem to be a good rail network only problem appears to be the last decent train at 8.30pm

Thanks for your advice

I am sure others will give you the advice you require, but why not stay in Cardiff, as at the end of it all, that's where the GP is and I would bet once you factor in train fares, taxi fares you might not see that much difference in prices.

I am sure others will give you the advice you require, but why not stay in Cardiff, as at the end of it all, that's where the GP is and I would bet once you factor in train fares, taxi fares you might not see that much difference in prices.

Hi Screm, Been looking all night nothing available at under £180 Holiday inn in Bristol is £80 i am looking for 2 rooms.

I know what you mean would love to find something in Cardiff to stop and have a beer or 2 but cant find anything.

Was away on holiday when it was announced

Hi Screm, Been looking all night nothing available at under £180 Holiday inn in Bristol is £80 i am looking for 2 rooms.

I know what you mean would love to find something in Cardiff to stop and have a beer or 2 but cant find anything.

Go back to pages 3 and 4 on this thread, there`s a couple of links to cheaper accommodation that might be worth a look.

Good evening,

Thanks for your advice

A lot of people stop in Newport..SCB is the one to ask. .I'm sure he'll be along soon enough :)

£180 in Cardiff, £80 in Bristol. So £100 difference. How many of you? As the train is about £13 it means that once there are 4 or 5 of you then you're not really saving a lot but you're on a train for for nearly 2 hours of the day, rather than just be able to wander back to the hotel when ever you like. That said, Bristol is a nice place to spend a day/evening - you're just not with the speedway fans. and the trains are every 30 minutes. Personal opinion is for one weekend a year I'd suck up the extra £120ish it's going to cost extra to stay in Cardiff but I appreciate that is a lot to a family that have bills to pay. I'd also pick Bristol over not going at all.

We 'did Cardiff' by staying in Bristol for the weekend a couple of years ago.

Had a fantastic time.

Staying three nights in luxury resulted in massive savings, even with the small amounts on trains.

Made a very different weekend.

And was good to not spend the whole time in a perpetual 'fan zone'.

Edited by Grand Central

Hi everyone, first year I've missed out on hotel! Were there any links for ticket holders for cheaper hotels this year? thanks

Hi everyone, first year I've missed out on hotel! Were there any links for ticket holders for cheaper hotels this year? thanks

This is taken from the SGP website

BSI Speedway has worked with the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Hoteliers’ Association and Cardiff Convention Bureau to secure 1,000 bed spaces for true speedway fans at discounted rates.

The deals are available on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights with no minimum stay requirement.

These rooms are sold on a first come, first served basis and the maximum amount of bedrooms that can be booked in one transaction is three for up to 12 people (including children).

Fans who wish to take advantage of the accommodation offer will be given a link to the booking page once they have purchased their British SGP tickets.

This is taken from the SGP website

BSI Speedway has worked with the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Hoteliers’ Association and Cardiff Convention Bureau to secure 1,000 bed spaces for true speedway fans at discounted rates.

The deals are available on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights with no minimum stay requirement.

These rooms are sold on a first come, first served basis and the maximum amount of bedrooms that can be booked in one transaction is three for up to 12 people (including children).

Fans who wish to take advantage of the accommodation offer will be given a link to the booking page once they have purchased their British SGP tickets.

Thanks! Will have a look through my emails