British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk127

Arena Essex

Yes up Matt fords arse.

What a crass comment.

JC was Vice Chair for a while but, as others have pointed out, real leadership has been lacking and the tail continues to wag the dog.

• Like 1

Yes up Matt fords arse.

Totally unnecessary comment.................and goes to show the mentality of a so called fan................

I hope that Lakeside are able to get something sorted out...........it would be a shame to lose them

As for the anti Poole comments from the usual suspects..............unless you were a party to the conversation surrounding the various events you know nothing so have no right to criticise...............no team is perfect..............no rider is perfect but some of you seem to put Poole and their promotion and their riders down with sometimes some very borderline slanderous remarks without knowing the full facts..............and yes it does p*ss off the true Poole fans like myself..................

RP

RP

• Like 3

As for the anti Poole comments from the usual suspects..............unless you were a party to the conversation surrounding the various events you know nothing so have no right to criticise...............no team is perfect..............no rider is perfect but some of you seem to put Poole and their promotion and their riders down with sometimes some very borderline slanderous remarks without knowing the full facts..............and yes it does p*ss off the true Poole fans like myself..................

The comments are not anti-Poole. They anti-those who let Poole get away with stuff. Also, which comments are slanderous? I've had a look and at best you've got silly/stupid comments but nothing slanderous.

Ahem, pedantic hat on.

Both slander and libel are defamatory comments. However slander is the spoken or oral version, whereas libel is the written version.

End of lesson.

• Like 2

Was Jon Cook not part of the inner circle for a number of years?

My goodness you really are struggling to dig your way out of that hole. Having been totally unable to explain why Lakeside, the club have been any mor e responsible than anyone else for falling attendances you now move the goalposts to focus on an individual who is not the club, merely one member o f the promotional team.

Just as Swindon fans have had to explain to the intellectually challenged at Rosco the Swindon manager is not the same as Rosco the Team GB manager, Cooks role on the MC is not the same as his position as on the Lakeside promotional team.

The principle of collective responsibily on the MC or any other committee means all committee members bear equal resposibility for the committees decisions. Notwithstanding that point the MC of the BSPA are not the body with overall responsibility for the sport , that is the Speedwáy Contriol Bureau ( the clue is in the i ) and the buck ultimately stops with them. They, above all else must carry can for weak leadership.

So once again despite your persistent trolling of Lakeside threads you have once again failed to back up your original claim that Lakeside bear major responsibility for the state the sport is in .. You might as well either quit while you are behind or go off and start a Jon Cook thread because your spurious claims are misplaced on an Arena Essex thread, which started off as a perfectly reasonable enquiry about the clubs future before you jumped in.

My goodness you really are struggling to dig your way out of that hole. Having been totally unable to explain why Lakeside, the club have been any mor e responsible than anyone else for falling attendances you now move the goalposts to focus on an individual who is not the club, merely one member o f the promotional team.

Just as Swindon fans have had to explain to the intellectually challenged at Rosco the Swindon manager is not the same as Rosco the Team GB manager, Cooks role on the MC is not the same as his position as on the Lakeside promotional team.

The principle of collective responsibily on the MC or any other committee means all committee members bear equal resposibility for the committees decisions. Notwithstanding that point the MC of the BSPA are not the body with overall responsibility for the sport , that is the Speedwáy Contriol Bureau ( the clue is in the i ) and the buck ultimately stops with them. They, above all else must carry can for weak leadership.

So once again despite your persistent trolling of Lakeside threads you have once again failed to back up your original claim that Lakeside bear major responsibility for the state the sport is in .. You might as well either quit while you are behind or go off and start a Jon Cook thread because your spurious claims are misplaced on an Arena Essex thread, which started off as a perfectly reasonable enquiry about the clubs future before you jumped in.

I don't troll Lakeside threads.

You have one opinion about the club; mine is the polar opposite. However, I will still go when I can.

Please accept that views will differ. Others on here have agreed with my point-how it became anti-Poole is beyond me. I cannot agree with your view about the SCB - it controls what it is given to control.

The real power is with the promoters and I feel Lakeside have been in a position in the past to do more to change things. They haven't taken those chances, for whatever reason.

British speedway needs some strong leadership. I long hoped Lakeside would lead.

Now, of course, the club has bigger issues and obviously will concentrate on a new stadium.

I have no axe to grind but my honest opinion is that Lakeside could have done more.

I sincerely hope that Jon Cook - after his year away from the MC - puts himself forward for the Chair position when Alex Harkess steps down in October. Maybe Matt Ford would agree to serve as his deputy and get rid of some of the old boys!! :D:t:

• Like 2

I sincerely hope that Jon Cook - after his year away from the MC - puts himself forward for the Chair position when Alex Harkess steps down in October. Maybe Matt Ford would agree to serve as his deputy and get rid of some of the old boys!! :D:t:

I think you might find Jon Cook is out of the frame for a while. The reason he gave for resigning was that he needs more time to devote to his own club which primarily includes trying to get a new home up and running. He also needs to spend some time getting the team back to winning ways. Personally I have felt for a long time the MC duties have been too much of a distraction from running Lakeside. He is now in the programme as joint team manager which I think is one thing he does do well.

I think also the sooner Harkess steps down the better.

I asked a simple question and cannot fathom some of the vitriolic responses. I do not support Lakeside but went to Arena when speedway originally started at this track and it was more out of concern for losing another track/team that I posed the question. In part it was answered in that they will run in 2016 but if land could be found elsewhere given the pressure for house building in the current vicinity of the track would a move further afield be considered or feasible. For example the Clacton/Tendring area of Essex has various spots where it might be an option given the limited season that Elite tracks operate. Would the temp planning permissions now work given they have so few home meetings? All of this is from someone who is concerned about the sport in general and I do not want to sit back and watch the decilne to amost extinction of a motor sport that was once one of the best to watch and support

• Like 2

As a Speedway supporter I also don't want to see any more tracks/teams lost, I personally think Tendering is a bit out of the way to retain the support of current Lakeside supporters. What is needed is somewhere more accessible by public transport, we could do with some Speedway returning to the east London area if it is possible, surely there must be some disused brownfield sites somewhere along the A13 where it might be feasible. I personally would like to see a track somewhere in the Olympic Park as it seems to cover most other sports, it has good transport links and plenty of neighbourhoods nearby to attract new supporters but I don't suppose that will ever happen.

I do not believe the club are considering moving 'elsewhere' in Essex. Getting a council 'on board' is a key requirement in establishing a new build and Thurrock Council are sending out positive vibes i.e. they are keen to keep speedway in their area. Lakeside Hammers may have to become Thurrock Hammers in due course but that is a small price to pay for the continuation of speedway.

• Like 1

I see Lakeside are doing fiver admission for the Coventry match.

Jon Cook says it is pretty good value - excellent value in truth. Happy to give plenty of praise to Lakeside for this.

The key is being able to turn a healthy proportion of the new or occasional visitors into (fairly) regulars. That is far easier said than done but the first job is to get people through the door, which this should do.

Coventry should put on a good show so fingers crossed.

I see Lakeside are doing fiver admission for the Coventry match.

Jon Cook says it is pretty good value - excellent value in truth. Happy to give plenty of praise to Lakeside for this.

The key is being able to turn a healthy proportion of the new or occasional visitors into (fairly) regulars. That is far easier said than done but the first job is to get people through the door, which this should do.

Coventry should put on a good show so fingers crossed.

Go to the club's official website at http://www.lakesidehammers.com/ for details e.g. For the £5 admission tickets to apply, they should be purchase in advance.

Go to the club's official website at http://www.lakesidehammers.com/ for details e.g. For the £5 admission tickets to apply, they should be purchase in advance.

Thanks for the update Bryn.

That is a very good idea, indeed. It will give Lakeside a lot of email addresses which they will subsequently be able to use to promote further fixtures.

Hopefully they will build up a big database.

I know some people will complain that the tickets have to be bought in advance but the database will be important in the future.

Credit where credit is due E. I. Addio

• Like 1

I asked a simple question and cannot fathom some of the vitriolic responses. I do not support Lakeside but went to Arena when speedway originally started at this track and it was more out of concern for losing another track/team that I posed the question. In part it was answered in that they will run in 2016 but if land could be found elsewhere given the pressure for house building in the current vicinity of the track would a move further afield be considered or feasible. For example the Clacton/Tendring area of Essex has various spots where it might be an option given the limited season that Elite tracks operate. Would the temp planning permissions now work given they have so few home meetings? All of this is from someone who is concerned about the sport in general and I do not want to sit back and watch the decilne to amost extinction of a motor sport that was once one of the best to watch and support

The track itself will take a relatively small amount of land. I think the bigger problem is noise near residential areas, whoever you put it. If I have correctly understood what has been said it should not be too difficult to keep noise down by building it with banking all round, much the same as the present track. I don't understand the technicalities of it though. As has been said the local council have been making all the right noises and Jon Cooks programme notes on the subject have been cautiously optimistic but it's early days yet and there are obvious hurdles to be overcome. The more immediate problem, according to JC's latest programme notes is maintaining crowd levels at an acceptable standard during a season where things have been going wrong, resulting in falling attendances, jnot least the unfortinate injury to AJ at a critical time, resulting in four consecutive home losses. The crowd at the last meeting looked a bit better so hopefully the trend can be reversed.

• Like 1