British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Richie Worrall (the Future Of Speedway)

I have read through the entire post, and perhaps the Richey Worrall story really hides a wider problem.

Speedway is in decline in the UK and costs are spiralling for any nationality rider.

I believe we just have to accept that speedway in the UK does not have enough support and the EL clubs paying some high point money doesn't make any long term sense ( regardless of rider nationality).

Perhaps what is required is a realisation that speedway in the UK ( if it is to continue , and hopefully recover) needs to go back to a semi professional / part time speedway rider that doesn't require high state of tune and maintenance equipment.

A single league consisting mainly of British riders is probably what is needed. It's the racing that matters, even if the heat times are say 2 seconds slower, it doesn't matter, it is the quality of the racing that counts.

8 man teams, meaning less rider replacement / guest riders.

There would be greater team recognition week to week. The better riders seeking world class rides would have to seek teams in Sweden and Poland, but we need to recover the sport and reduce the costs for riders and paying public.

Riders will have to realise that if they are to ride speedway in the UK , then the sport as it stands simply cannot pay riders £250 a point, as the paying public through the gate cannot support this.

We need to go back to a single league that is predominantly filled with UK riders, although I am not against foreign riders, but all riders need to understand what the long term sport can support.

Or is this to simplistic?

• Like 1

Denis99, where is all the riders coming from to fill all the present teams ? Loads double up at present, & to take the top boys out would mean you would need about 100 more riders to get 8 in a team.

I have read through the entire post, and perhaps the Richey Worrall story really hides a wider problem.

Speedway is in decline in the UK and costs are spiralling for any nationality rider.

I believe we just have to accept that speedway in the UK does not have enough support and the EL clubs paying some high point money doesn't make any long term sense ( regardless of rider nationality).

Perhaps what is required is a realisation that speedway in the UK ( if it is to continue , and hopefully recover) needs to go back to a semi professional / part time speedway rider that doesn't require high state of tune and maintenance equipment.

A single league consisting mainly of British riders is probably what is needed. It's the racing that matters, even if the heat times are say 2 seconds slower, it doesn't matter, it is the quality of the racing that counts.

8 man teams, meaning less rider replacement / guest riders.

There would be greater team recognition week to week. The better riders seeking world class rides would have to seek teams in Sweden and Poland, but we need to recover the sport and reduce the costs for riders and paying public.

Riders will have to realise that if they are to ride speedway in the UK , then the sport as it stands simply cannot pay riders £250 a point, as the paying public through the gate cannot support this.

We need to go back to a single league that is predominantly filled with UK riders, although I am not against foreign riders, but all riders need to understand what the long term sport can support.

Or is this to simplistic?

How many funny fags have you had? I would say about 6 we need more good British riders can you ride a bike if so will you come down to the new British speedway traning camp wile I wet my pants watching you fill your kelvin klines with the brown stuff and the trainer telling you DON'T SHUT THE THROTTLE OFF YOU K---b HEAD you are going to hurt your self here try bike no. 2 it's got more power

Denis99, where is all the riders coming from to fill all the present teams ? Loads double up at present, & to take the top boys out would mean you would need about 100 more riders to get 8 in a team.

THEY BREED UM LIKE RABBITS IN AUS AND MOST OF THEM CAN PICK BRIT OR AUSSIE ?

Proud Panther

Yes, there would be an immediate shortfall, but if UK riders knew that teams needed more riders, then perhaps the semi professional / amateur status might bring back riders that simply found the cost , travel, bike tuning just too much to support.

I just can't see how the existing clubs can continue on a business sense. I'm an ex Newport Wasps supporter and it was never a viable business operation.

There seems to be a lot of clubs barely surviving for a dwindling supporter base.

I can't understand how the promoters of the clubs can continue for the next season or two.

There has to be a proper plan for British Speedway to survive and then improve.

• Like 1

Proud Panther

Yes, there would be an immediate shortfall, but if UK riders knew that teams needed more riders, then perhaps the semi professional / amateur status might bring back riders that simply found the cost , travel, bike tuning just too much to support.

I just can't see how the existing clubs can continue on a business sense. I'm an ex Newport Wasps supporter and it was never a viable business operation.

There seems to be a lot of clubs barely surviving for a dwindling supporter base.

I can't understand how the promoters of the clubs can continue for the next season or two.

These riders Do this sport as a full time job though. And a dangerous one at that I know they choose to do it

But they also do it because they love it otherwise why would they put their lives on the line like they do

They are a rare breed. But you're correct British Speedway needs a proper plan.

Proud Panther

they do it with sponsorship and playing public . Top riders find it very difficult to ride with lower leauge riders why ? To dangerous

more than likely has a signwriter sponsor , who did the van free hoping to get others to have theirs done by him .

yes I know the one you mean , In our winter they have a league of their own running dont they , is it the Australian Elite league ? #showshowmuchyouknowaboutspeedway.com.

NO it's don't let any poms in league they might get better than us we need to be better than them at the start of there season so we can take all there rides and do be better in the world cup because that's at the beginning of the season to can the world cup be put at the end of the season to give us Brits a chance?

they do it with sponsorship and paying public . Top riders find it very difficult to ride with lower leauge riders why ? To dangerous NO it's don't let any poms in league they might get better than us we need to be better than them at the start of there season so we can take all there rides and do be better in the world cup because that's at the beginning of the season to can the world cup be put at the end of the season to give us Brits a chance?

Will I need my binoculars or my telescope ???

Are you another smoker of them funny fags when the residents start complaining about noise the only practice sessions will be cycle speedway mildenhall nearly got closed down because the residents couldn't ear the jumbo jets landing because of speedway bikes?

did he how come he dident get a ride in the team?

If I did any sport i would want to practice it to better my self when I go on my holidays for two weeks I can't drive my car with confidence for a short time it feels strange how do these young lads jump on a 500 cc wild thing and go like the clappers for four laps with no practice time ? I think we should pay more to watch speedway?

Are you KKS?

I doubt the BV team manager favours Aussies in his choice of guests and I have never heard any BV fans say that is the case I but if it is true that is a local problem for BV to sort out, and it's not what Richie was complaining about in his SS interview . He was complaining though about the fact that Belle Vue fell over themselves to buy him and now don't give him a team place, (and this was before Mark Lemon took over as TM). I can understand his frustration with Belle Vue though. Reading between the lines of the interview it seems Richie is not altogether happy with their lack of support for his career. Personally I don't think Carswels influence at Belle Vue has been a good one, since he became involved on the promotional side.

Whatever the ins and outs of the original financial dispute between Richie and Lakeside, going to BV has not been a successful move for Richie especially when you consider how successful his replacement, Richard Lawson has been since coming into the Lakeside side as a 3 point reserve who couldn't ride small tracks.

Some clubs are glad with what they have got and if a rider can't get up the ladder after being in the same team for 3years he shouldn't be there really e should be number one he gets a lot of gest rides to but is still the same rider he is also a lot older than worrall so might not last as long but you seam to be very happy with your REPLACEMENT and get a lot of enjoyment when you can bring it up

Are you KKS?

I could be any way I thought you had nodded off was you having a dream that you was on a speedway bike and thought after all these years of giving advice on how to be a speedway rider I am going for it and on the 4th lap 3rd bend got to much drive and ended up in the VW Center car park with two first ade giving you gas and air then relised you still had your finger on the key pads

I'm fairly sure that Belle Vue offered him a team place this year but he wanted to go to King's Lynn. By the time they decided they didn't want him the Aces had completed their team. As for guest rides surely he has to show he is the best available at the time.

Richie did have a poorer year lat year but it was nothing to do with signing for Belle Vue, he had a poor year at Ipswich as well.

I have sympathy with his lack of track time point which is one of the issues the new stadium should help with next year.

did he have a bad year at Ipswich or did he hold his own ?are don't you really know ? I hope worrall takes the advice he was given at lakeside because he is a talent on a speedway bike the way he rides the tracks in Poland will be better for him richie worrall you don't owe British speedway anything make the move lad it will be worth it don't pack it in and don't hang about here

I could be any way I thought you had nodded off was you having a dream that you was on a speedway bike and thought after all these years of giving advice on how to be a speedway rider I am going for it and on the 4th lap 3rd bend got to much drive and ended up in the VW Center car park with two first ade giving you gas and air then relised you still had your finger on the key pads

Unintelligible claptrap. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry.

• Like 1

they do it with sponsorship and playing public . Top riders find it very difficult to ride with lower leauge riders why ? To dangerous

NO it's don't let any poms in league they might get better than us we need to be better than them at the start of there season so we can take all there rides and do be better in the world cup because that's at the beginning of the season to can the world cup be put at the end of the season to give us Brits a chance?

Tbf Aussies need British speedway as much as British speedway needs them.

Take out all the Aussies who are riding in the premier league right now who would you replace them with? Kyle Hughes? Dan Halsey? There just isn't enough English riders of a good standard