British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Vs Scunthorpe 19 Jul 2015 6.30pm

What concerns me is how people would get to know if we had a stronger team - Barry W's pages in the Pink were always excellent, and he also contributed to the Chronicle...the Pink is of course now only a memory, and the Chron gets more football-fixated by the day. People who stop coming to BP presumably also stop buying the Speedway Star (if they ever did) and with the dedicated Ceefax pages also long gone, what is left other than (intermittent) reports on home matches in the Journal and, I guess - though I don't read it any more - the Chronicle. (Do we still get on Look North? I'm never in the house when it's on).

Not a lot - no.

SHshshsh !, you will get the sponsorship police having a go up here ;);)

Aye you have to watch, I had the temerity to put on a welcome to Newcastle Tero post on this thread the other day, which already has caused upset.

Aye you have to watch, I had the temerity to put on a welcome to Newcastle Tero post on this thread the other day, which already has caused upset.

Really - why?

I welcome him too screm - what's the problem?

'Mystified Sunderland'.

I think this is more a general speedway problem more than just at brough.... I think people are just so sick with the daft rules etc people are starting to vote with there feet.

I've been going to Newcastle since it re-opened in 97 been to loads of away meetings too and until this season I never missed a meeting. I went to the first 3 or 4 this season and I haven't been back since. Yes the team isn't the best but by no means is it the worst we've had! But the entertainment value for me is virtually non existent now I don't know if this ties in with the new silencers but there isn't/ wasn't much racing at the meetings I attended this season or last season for that matter.

Now I'm only 25 and I'm pretty bored with speedway now there used to be a time id not miss a meeting but they seem long gone. And speedway needs a new fan base because most of the fans are elderly people. It's tough because kids nowadays would rather be playing on the playstations or Xbox rather than go to speedway.

This is a crucial winter for speedway and now more than ever do the promoters need to realise this!

If you didn't know what speedway was you wouldn't have a clue in most cities because it's one of the worst promoted sports.

• Like 5

I was making the point that ALL NUFC fans are not very bright, not you specifically.

You want the directors of the Diamonds to spend money to improve the team and have withdrawn your financial support until they do so.

Why does the same thought process not apply to NUFC? Stoip going and Ashley might do something (or spend much less on supporting a Newcastle sporting club that has won something in the 21st century)

I was making the point that ALL NUFC fans are not very bright, not you specifically.

You want the directors of the Diamonds to spend money to improve the team and have withdrawn your financial support until they do so.

Why does the same thought process not apply to NUFC? Stoip going and Ashley might do something (or spend much less on supporting a Newcastle sporting club that has won something in the 21st century)

NUFC is my true love and I wouldn't miss that for anything and actually Ashley has seen that season ticket sales have dropped and finally after the shock of nearly losing millions in May is looking like he is doing something about it and I agree about time too. There will always be a football team for years and years to come and is in no danger of closing so the comparison is not like for like. The points I have been trying to make, and I will put money on will happen; is that unless the team is strengthened considerable next year and is actually challenging and competitive, then Newcastle Diamonds will be closed by 2016 at the latest as the alarming drop in in crowds cannot be sustained.

Do I want this to happen, no, and would I go again if an entertaining and strong team was assembled, yes, but the Promoters have got big decisions to make because as I said there is no way speedway will continue at Brough by making the same mistakes as was the case this season and last. They either want speedway to continue or they don't and some people will go no matter what but not enough to keep the sport from continuing in Newcastle. Speedway in general must change and I would suggest going back to the old way of point scoring and tactical subs, prompt starts at the designated time not 15-20 minutes later, two minute warnings to be sent straight after a race is completed. 4TT qualifiers should be brought back and the rule for guests and foreign riders certainly reviewed - to make this sport great we need to encourage the best foreign talent (especially young) to want to ride in the UK - I want to see the most exciting racers riding in the UK and not hindered because they are not British. If a British rider is good enough he will still make the grade.The unfair play off system should also be scrapped. The rider of the night and silver/golden helmets should be the finale of the meeting. The end of season Supernational or another competition may also be considered and the league campaign should start straight away after a few challenge matches. The SCB need to get their heads out of their backsides and stop ruining the sport and it's criminal when you consider most of the members have been involved in speedway for years. There are some of my suggestions anyway, I want to go back but it's up to the Promoters at Newcastle and the SCB to make me want to because the two times I have in the last two years I have walked out both times before heat ten because the meeting was being run like a farce and in my opinion the racing on show couldn't hold a candle to previous years.

Edited by acclennell
  • Like 4

Another good Post acclennell.

Again I agree with most of what you say. I would argue that Newcastle are actually one of the better Promoted Clubs - but apart from that and the Tactical Substitute you are dead right. I would not have the Tactical Ride or the Tactical Substitute. Let Teams live or die by the actual Points that they score.

I love the idea of the 4TT and why not an Individual Meeting as well. I used to enjoy those too.

None of this will happen though - SKY Television dictate the Rules of our Sport these days, not the FIM, SCB or the BSPA.

They say all these silly Rules are better for the Television Viewer - that may be so - but they are slowly killing the Sport with said Rules.

• Like 1

Another good Post acclennell.

Again I agree with most of what you say. I would argue that Newcastle are actually one of the better Promoted Clubs - but apart from that and the Tactical Substitute you are dead right. I would not have the Tactical Ride or the Tactical Substitute. Let Teams live or die by the actual Points that they score.

I love the idea of the 4TT and why not an Individual Meeting as well. I used to enjoy those too.

None of this will happen though - SKY Television dictate the Rules of our Sport these days, not the FIM, SCB or the BSPA.

They say all these silly Rules are better for the Television Viewer - that may be so - but they are slowly killing the Sport with said Rules.

Do you think speedway would be better off, without 'sky ' and any money it puts in ???

I do not see how you can pay to watch NUFC play for between £30 to£40& call that value,considering the speedway is far less .I do however like your other comments.

• Like 1

I do not see how you can pay to watch NUFC play for between £30 to£40& call that value,considering the speedway is far less .I do however like your other comments.

but you get 90+ minutes of action and excitement,,, it's even better if someone scores a goal ;)

but you get 90+ minutes of action and excitement,,, it's even better if someone scores a goal ;)

I would not go that far,the ball is not in play that long,like sunderland scoring last seasonpriced food& beer etc would rather watch non league.
  • Like 2

I would not go that far,the ball is not in play that long,like sunderland scoring last seasonpriced food& beer etc would rather watch non league.

I wouldn't go that far either, and don't, but maybe a lot of people do, because others do ;)

• Like 1

Speedway is *relatively* a cheap night out, especially compared to PL football (also, can you imagine Toon players mingling with the fans and doing autographs and selfies after a match?!!)

As a lad I used to enjoy going to the East Corner with my mates for just a few quid admission, but the Taylor Report and Sky money changed things somewhat.

Of course I will never forget King Kev's entertainers, but...

Football has become a greedy, cash-hungry ogre where being an average PL player will net you a staggering £30K a week. Plenty of Speedway riders can but dream of making that in a SEASON...

But of course football has cleverly styled itself as 'The Beautiful Game'. Really? Players writhing in faked agony every time an opponent brushes against them, and of course the ball has a tendency to be out of play much of the time, so 90 minutes of action is a fallacy.

Don't get me wrong, great sport, fun to play and at least watchable, but why should this bloated cash-hungry ogre get pride of place at the table while other sports are reduced to scrapping over the crumbs?

I think this is more a general speedway problem more than just at brough.... I think people are just so sick with the daft rules etc people are starting to vote with there feet.

I've been going to Newcastle since it re-opened in 97 been to loads of away meetings too and until this season I never missed a meeting. I went to the first 3 or 4 this season and I haven't been back since. Yes the team isn't the best but by no means is it the worst we've had! But the entertainment value for me is virtually non existent now I don't know if this ties in with the new silencers but there isn't/ wasn't much racing at the meetings I attended this season or last season for that matter.

Now I'm only 25 and I'm pretty bored with speedway now there used to be a time id not miss a meeting but they seem long gone. And speedway needs a new fan base because most of the fans are elderly people. It's tough because kids nowadays would rather be playing on the playstations or Xbox rather than go to speedway.

This is a crucial winter for speedway and now more than ever do the promoters need to realise this!

If you didn't know what speedway was you wouldn't have a clue in most cities because it's one of the worst promoted sports.

It's definitely one of the worst promoted sports. Couple of examples:

1. Lad at my local corner shop asked where I work. Turns out he thought my Newcastle Speedway polo was staff uniform for a karting track rather than my desperate attempts to be a walking advertising board.

2. Usually-very-bright lass at work thought Newcastle Speedway was some kind of public track I could pootle my little YBR125 around for fun, rather than a place to watch professional riders tear around on 500cc brakeless methanol bikes.

• Like 2

He's a friend, and you help friends when they need help, did the same for Adrian when he went to Workington, and glad i could help.

Thing is it is not about NUFC and comparisons shouldn't be made as the football team is like a religion up here - what I did say is that the football team is my true number 1 passion and that will never change. 99% of people (if not more) in Newcastle would choose NUFC over the Diamonds if there was a straight choice between the two on which one to attend. It's about how to get more fans into the speedway and to get people like me to go back and new people to come.

I went to both for 15 years as I said and currently in my opinion the Newcastle team and the speedway rules as well as the farce the way the meeting was run the two times I have been; have meant that I'm not going back until changes are made. This is all about my views on why I don't think speedway will continue in Newcastle unless big changes are made and a few of my own thoughts as to what speedway should do in general to improve the sport (i.e. turn back the clock). Sky viewing is also down and I would not be surprised in the future if that doesn't stop either.