British Speedway Forum
Toad

Rye House 1980 Team

With the current Rye House season sliding into mediocrity once again, I got to reminiscing about the great sides we used to have; and arguably the greatest were the seven Rockets who romped to the 1980 National League Championship. Oh for a team like that today!

Anyone know what those legendary Rockets are doing now, all of 35 years later? Obviously we have lost Ashley Pullen but it would be interesting to know what Karl Fiala, Bobby Garrad, Kelvin Mullarkey, Kevin Smith, Peter Tarrant and Andy Fines have been doing. Even better, get them all down to Rye House before the end of the season and give us something to look forward to! That will bring a crowd in for sure.

Peter Tarrant visits Rye often. Kelvin is always at Mildenhall, he is a poorly old thing & in a wheel chair. Bob lives in Maldon & is a builder. Karl is all over Face Book!! Have seen Andy at Rye but not recently. Kevin Smith lives Poole way but don't know he does with himself these days.

With the current Rye House season sliding into mediocrity once again, I got to reminiscing about the great sides we used to have; and arguably the greatest were the seven Rockets who romped to the 1980 National League Championship. Oh for a team like that today!

Anyone know what those legendary Rockets are doing now, all of 35 years later? Obviously we have lost Ashley Pullen but it would be interesting to know what Karl Fiala, Bobby Garrad, Kelvin Mullarkey, Kevin Smith, Peter Tarrant and Andy Fines have been doing. Even better, get them all down to Rye House before the end of the season and give us something to look forward to! That will bring a crowd in for sure.

After years away from the sport Karl Fiala returned to the scene a few years ago. I hosted an Ellesmere Port reunion a few years back and Karl even travelled up there for that!. He has his own business and is very active on Facebook sharing memories. I last heard of Kelvin when he was celebrating his 60th birthday and they managed to get him into a suit for the occasion.

Peter Tarrant is running a despatch business and is now the partner of one of my wife's oldest friends.

Don't forget Hugh Saunders who managed that side and of course rode for the team while that championship side was being developed by Colin Pratt. Last I heard Hughie had gone back to Guernsey after living in Essex for years.

It hurts that any reunion would be without Ashley Pullen. He was such a fighter and worked so hard to progress in the sport.

Those years weren't just about winning matches but seeing a fine group of young riders develop into a team to be proud of after the desperation of the mid-70s when the Rayleigh Rockets first lost their home then lost most of the team to Crayford. After a couple of desperate first years at Hoddesdon we first saw Kelvin fight to ride for the team then the arrival of Karl via the junior ranks. By '76 the pain was erasing.

I just wish I'd had the courage back then to ask if we could take the league trophy on a trip round the remains of Rayleigh.....

Precious memories.

• Like 1

Don't think you should forget Ted Hubbard from those Infradex years either. I know the OP specifically referred to 1980 but the years building to that we're great times to watch Rye.

Karl and Ted were at the recent Lydd meeting.

• Like 2

Don't think you should forget Ted Hubbard from those Infradex years either. I know the OP specifically referred to 1980 but the years building to that we're great times to watch Rye.

Karl and Ted were at the recent Lydd meeting.

Quite, Brian. Of course in those days you often had to build a side slowly over several years and watch your investment flourish so many riders played their part in creating that championship win.

It was so satisfying to see the team develop and so heartbreaking to see it all fall apart so swiftly afterwards.

So very sorry to hear from another poster of Kelvin's condition.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

Of course, the experience of Hugh Saunders and Ted Hubbard played a big part in bringing through the younger riders and the near, near miss at Mildenhall in 79 I think, only galvanised their will to win the league. The empathy with the team is something that has definitely gone from today's sport, watching young local riders develop and finally reap their rewards. And three heatleaders with 9+ point averages in a very tough league is something to be proud of.

At Rye these days it's only Andrew Silver and the Raiders who are the nearest thing.

Yes, sad to hear about Mudlark as he provided so many great memories, his second half finals were legandary!

• Like 1

A bit before my time. Only started going in 1985. The 2005 Rockets side was something special, but they were different times. One question I always wanted to ask. Why did Karl Fiala retire so early, mid 20's I believe?

The empathy with the team is something that has definitely gone from today's sport, watching young local riders develop and finally reap their rewards.

It's a lot tougher to bring through young local talent now. The equipment is way to expensive these days Edited by Shads

In the 1979 Team wasnt Bob Cooper one of the Reserves ? Great battle for the Title in 79 between Rye and Mildenhall. 2 Top teams, with hardly a weak link.

In the 1979 Team wasnt Bob Cooper one of the Reserves ? Great battle for the Title in 79 between Rye and Mildenhall. 2 Top teams, with hardly a weak link.

I think he was one of the last of the Rayleigh riders that moved up to Rye in 1974

In the 1979 Team wasnt Bob Cooper one of the Reserves ? Great battle for the Title in 79 between Rye and Mildenhall.

Bob Cooper's last season with the Rockets was '78.

2 Top teams, with hardly a weak link.

Just the one in Mel Taylor's head...

Bob Cooper joined the Rockets on loan from Leicester in 1974 so didn't ride for Rayleigh.

The Rockets team that transferred over in 1974 was all gone by the end of 1975 with many switching to Crayford. The last to remain was Brian Foote whose last season was 1976.

The last former Rayleigh Rocket in the side was Hugh Saunders but he was at Hackney at the time of Rayleigh's closure.

As for Karl Fiala, most of us spent 1981 asking the same question over what had happened to him.

. The last to remain was Brian Foote whose last season was 1976.

That's the guy I was thinking about.