British Speedway Forum
catinthehat

Eastboourne Vs Kent Koc Semi Final

Unfortunately my Mum puts on a family party every year and this year she did it on a Saturday, know I have speedway on Sundays. I have to get my priorities right I am afraid.

So I will be at Arlington around 7.30pm!

Thanks for clearing up the Kelsey thing. Hopefully he can make up a bit for the loss of Georgie.

He will probably be doing better than Cottham! Speedway comes first!

BBC Sussex says we are without Wood and Knuckey is guesting for Andrews..... If we want Saturday night next season we need to have a good attendance this week as they are comparing it to the sundays!

Well the crowd will be bigger then the norm due to kent fans I expect. We brought quite a few down on a rainy good friday so hopefully the weather is better this time.

Well the crowd will be bigger then the norm due to kent fans I expect. We brought quite a few down on a rainy good friday so hopefully the weather is better this time.

Would be nice if they did but will they want to bother I mean it's a big ask for Kent to win this overall.... Is it worth the journey

Speedway is Speedway after all. I quite fancy kent could Nick this on the night or at least get close. The tie is over but there is still some action to be had. Plus the bonus of a 12 race second half to enjoy.

• Like 1

The return of the flying Adam Sheppard could herald a change of fortunes for the Kings. Sublime in the MDL & vital impressive practice at Arlington how can we go wrong :rofl:

• Like 1

Eastbourne ‘IT First’ Eagles return to Saturday night speedway action at Arlington stadium tomorrow (7.30 pm start).

Near neighbours and local rivals, the Kent Kings provide the opposition in the Knockout Cup semi-final second leg, writes Kevin Ling.

The Sussex side will certainly be ‘Up for the Cup’ as a place in the final is the glittering prize that awaits the successful combatants.

Given that the Eagles already hold a 14-point advantage from the first leg at the Kings Central Park stadium the tail end of June, many will undoubtedly feel that they are already virtually assured to progress to a Final Showdown against either the King’s Lynn Young Stars, the Buxton Hitmen or long-time sparring partners, the Cradley Heathens.

However the sport of speedway has often been proved to be a ‘funny old game’ and consequently, under no circumstances will the Eagles be taking the challenge posed by their Kent opponents lightly.

The first leg between the two sides resulted in a 42-28 victory for the visitors in a match curtailed by a time curfew, however it was one that came at a considerable cost to the Eagles as their Captain, David Mason crashed out of the fixture and was subsequently ferried to hospital having sustained a broken leg.

Unfortunately for Eastbourne, Mason hasn’t proved to be the only Casualty of War in a season that has so far been blighted by injuries to key riders.

Richard Andrews and Danny Warwick are sidelined with the influential and ever popular free scoring reserve Georgie Wood being the latest name to be added to that sorry roster after he suffered a leg injury in Eagles most recent home league encounter against the Coventry Storm almost a fortnight ago.

It could yet see him ruled out of the Sussex outfit’s quest for honours for up to six weeks.

The club’s management have worked ultra hard to keep the pot bubbling however with a string of inspired changes to the line-up when called upon to do so, their latest recruit, Ben Hopwood, who was brought in to replace Mason, rewarding their insight with a superb 15-point maximum in his home debut against Coventry.

You can be assured that Hopwood, along with exciting close season capture, Kiwi Bradley Wilson-Dean, recently appointed skipper Marc Owen, Mattie Bates, who drops to the reserve berth for the clash with the Kings, and the returning Kelsey Dugard, will be doing all in their power to harness success.

On Saturday they will be joined by in the quest for qualification to the Knockout Cup Final by Coventry’s Martin Knuckey, who gave such a fine account of himself during the recent contest between the two teams, the Brandon exponent slotting in as a guest booking in place of Andrews while the Eagles will also operate the Rider Replacement facility in the stead of the unfortunate Wood.

In spite of the lead they hold, the task that faces them remains tough however, the Kings vaunting the twin spearhead of the high scoring Ben Morley and the wholly impressive James Shanes, together with the likes of Danny Ayres and Aaron Baseby as part of an imposing back up cast.

On their day, the Kings are a match for anybody, qualities that they have demonstrated in no small throughout the campaign.

A recent 4-point defeat at the home of runaway League leaders, the Birmingham Brummies allied to an epic performance in one of the section’s showpiece events, the National Fours bearing testimony to that fact, when arguably only an injury at a crucial moment to Shanes prevented them capturing the title.

Despite that however, the Eagles will remain doubly determined that when the dust settles on Saturday night it will be them left relishing the prospect of a Knockout Cup Final appearance and with it the ideal opportunity of bringing silverware to their club in their maiden season in the National League.

Teams: (in alphabetical order)

Eagles : Mattie Bates, Kelsey Dugard, Ben Hopwood, Martin Knuckey (Guest for Richard Andrews), Marc Owen, Bradley Wilson-Dean, Rider Replacement for Georgie Wood.

Kings : Danny Ayres, Aaron Baseby, Ben Basford, Jamie Couzins, Ben Morley, James Shanes, Adam Sheppard.

Is Ben Morley ment to be racing for Redcar as they have a meeting tomorrow against Edinburgh at Edinburgh? PL comes first but i know its a KOC meeting so is the KENT meeting which one takes over the other one?

Or am i missing the point.

The return of the flying Adam Sheppard could herald a change of fortunes for the Kings. Sublime in the MDL & vital impressive practice at Arlington how can we go wrong :rofl:

Was Adam the one i could see on facebook which young Tom Brennan whipped his backside with Niall by about half a lap, Would be better off asking Tom if he could ride for Kent.

Edited by catinthehat

Is Ben Morley ment to be racing for Redcar as they have a meeting tomorrow against Edinburgh at Edinburgh? PL comes first but i know its a KOC meeting so is the KENT meeting which one takes over the other one?

Or am i missing the point.

Was Adam the one i could see on facebook which young Tom Brennan whipped his backside with Niall by about half a lap, Would be better off asking Tom if he could ride for Kent.

He's been replaced by Dmitri Berge.

Speedway is Speedway after all. I quite fancy kent could Nick this on the night or at least get close. The tie is over but there is still some action to be had. Plus the bonus of a 12 race second half to enjoy.

No chance Teaboy but I applaud your optimism. Eagles to batter you Im afraid.

I wonder which Kelsey Dugard we will get tonight? 4 rides with no falls or lasts or............ .

I wonder which Kelsey Dugard we will get tonight? 4 rides with no falls or lasts or............ .

I just hope he goes out there feeling no pressure. If he concentrates on doing 4 laps each time he goes out, he will do his job.

I really believe he has a good future in speedway and I just hope he gets it right.

I just hope he goes out there feeling no pressure. If he concentrates on doing 4 laps each time he goes out, he will do his job.

I really believe he has a good future in speedway and I just hope he gets it right.

Totally agree.

At this level, races really are four laps long; meaning chances to pass will come. You don't have to go flat out in the first lap to ensure points.

Good luck to Kelsey tonight and the rest of the Eagles.

Well, that's it then. We are in the final and over two legs we can beat anyone. Bring it on.

Well done to Kent though. Although the aggregate result never really looked in doubt, they certainly made a match of it on the night.