British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cliffeboy

Somerset V Plymouth 31.7.15

I'm probably more cynical than most but why on earth would somerset want to lower averages at this time of the season, absolutely bonkers! Finishing top 2 in the league this year gives a big advantage skipping one round of the play offs and avoiding the other top 2 team until the final. That results puts Edinburgh and Peterborough in the driving seat (assuming they win their home matches), Somerset have more away fixtures left but arguably except Berwick they are all difficult matches so they need results to go their way. Glasgow still have a chance but again as they have only 2 away matches will probably need the panthers or monarchs to drop home points.

Plymouth look dangerous but might have to win 3 of their 4 away matches (Glasgow, Redcar, Rye House and Scunthorpe) to have a chance unless Sheffield or Ipswich drop points at home. Maybe too little too late, you certainly wouldn't want to draw them in the play offs, which may happen to Somerset in the first round if they finish outside top 2.

This is getting a be a bit funny now, accusations of deliberately losing the match to lower averages ha ha, Somerset will be in the top 6 at the end of the season I reckon and if we finish outside of the top 2 EVERYONE will want to avoid us over two legs.

To be fair Rye and Glasgow had their moments early on in their respective matches at the OTA before the Rebels went up a gear and blew them away, so it wasnt totally unexpected that somebody just might get a little too far in front to catch up. This coupled with dreadful gating , exclusions , etc etc didnt help and great riding from the Devils plus no Charles Wright didnt help. Amazingly the same sides (pretty much) lined up a fortnight ago with the Rebels winning by roughly the same score in the cup with the Rebels going on to win the second leg as well.I think tonight will be very interesting, don`t think Charlie will be there though I think Gary will keep him back for Sunday , I think it would be a mistake to ride him tonight.

Good luck to the Rebels tonight and all stay safe.

Edited by Cliffeboy

see earlier post about Jack Holder being the REBELS signing for 2016 3 year contract is linked to his visa

Get a new visa then ;)

This is getting a be a bit funny now, accusations of deliberately losing the match to lower averages ha ha, Somerset will be in the top 6 at the end of the season I reckon and if we finish outside of the top 2 EVERYONE will want to avoid us over two legs.

To be fair Rye and Glasgow had their moments early on in their respective matches at the OTA before the Rebels went up a gear and blew them away, so it wasnt totally unexpected that somebody just might get a little too far in front to catch up. This coupled with dreadful gating , exclusions , etc etc didnt help and great riding from the Devils plus no Charles Wright didnt help. Amazingly the same sides (pretty much) lined up a fortnight ago with the Rebels winning by roughly the same score in the cup with the Rebels going on to win the second leg as well.I think tonight will be very interesting, don`t think Charlie will be there though I think Gary will keep him back for Sunday , I think it would be a mistake to ride him tonight.

Good luck to the Rebels tonight and all stay safe.

Sorry I can see why you misunderstood my post cliffeboy, i totally agree there is no chance they were fiddling their averages someone else suggested it further up, i think the suggestion was bonkers.

Of course teams will want to avoid Somerset but Somerset will want to only have 2 ties, they need a win tonight to get back into it. Things can change quite quickly but teams will startto run out of fixtures

• Like 1

A bad day at the office, let's hope the Devils can put a good run together and reach the play offs ( after tonight ) on last nights performance they could do it. The Rebels 2016 signing Holder looks better every time I see him

Holder at Somerset in 2016 ? where did you get that from ?

Get a new visa then ;)

You could get jack next season I dont doubt but the you would have to get the famous somerset chequebook out,but I doubt he will forget you dropped him like a bad smell once it became clear you couldn't have him on a false average hindsight is a wonderful thing granted but it was a mistake much better rider than Worrall and improving unlike worrall it will be a good match tonight surely you cant lose to your poor plymouth neighbours twice in the league in one season!

You could get jack next season I dont doubt but the you would have to get the famous somerset chequebook out,but I doubt he will forget you dropped him like a bad smell once it became clear you couldn't have him on a false average hindsight is a wonderful thing granted but it was a mistake much better rideand the team was put togetherr than Worrall and improving unlike worrall it will be a good match tonight surely you cant lose to your poor plymouth neighbours twice in the league in one season!

Jack was not dropped like a bad smell as you so eloquently put it. Somerset were told he was a 5 like a few other Aussie lads and the team was put together. When all the trouble with the government started a 7 put him and a few others over the limit , so he and others lost out. His replacement Leigh Lanham is currently averaging 6.73 ,and increase of nearly 2 points whereas Jack is on 6.38 a drop of 0.62. Leigh`s average would currently make him Plymouth`s No1 in the current sheets.

I like the look of Jack and he definitely one for the future, but we will see. I have already stated on another thread I like the look of the new Plymouth septet and expect a tough match tonight , hopefully we can reverse the score this time.

You could get jack next season I dont doubt but the you would have to get the famous somerset chequebook out,but I doubt he will forget you dropped him like a bad smell once it became clear you couldn't have him on a false average hindsight is a wonderful thing granted but it was a mistake much better rider than Worrall and improving unlike worrall it will be a good match tonight surely you cant lose to your poor plymouth neighbours twice in the league in one season!

I think Somerset is well known for not paying silly money.

• Like 1

I think Somerset is well known for not paying silly money.

I think not

You could get jack next season I dont doubt but the you would have to get the famous Somerset (but paid for by Poole) chequebook out,but I doubt he will forget you dropped him like a bad smell once it became clear you couldn't have him on a false average hindsight is a wonderful thing granted but it was a mistake much better rider than Worrall and improving unlike worrall it will be a good match tonight surely you cant lose to your poor plymouth neighbours twice in the league in one season!

i hope you dont mind lewy but i have amended your qoute :).

congratulations to Plymouth, certainly raising a few eyebrows lately.

• Like 1

Well done Plymouth, a solid team that got it very right on the night.

The very idea that Somerset (or any promotion) would "throw" a match at home is quite laughable. Anyone who believes that has no concept of business principles.

The teams that have allegedly done this in the past (Poole at Swindon, Glasgow at Edinburgh) did so on away tracks, and did so before the rolling averages were brought in to successfully stop such despicable affairs.

This was just an upset of a result -- like Rye at Berwick last week -- and should be recognised as a refreshing example of how speedway can still be "a funny old game".

• Like 2

This was just an upset of a result -- like Rye at Berwick last week -- and should be recognised as a refreshing example of how speedway can still be "a funny old game".

Speedway needs results like this. Rye House thumping Exeter at the County Ground in 2005 is probably the biggest shock I've witnessed