British Speedway Forum

I find the negativity regarding Guy Martin sad, depressing and deeply frustrating. Okay, so many of you haven't heard of him or care about knowing him. Fine, you have freedom not to know people or their achievements, it's not a crime.

I'd never heard of him - until he started hosting several reasonably high-profile programmes on Channel Four. It got to the point where it seemed that any programme about machines with motors involved would be hosted by him - bikes, plane restoration, general mechanical engineering. These are programmes that attract millions of viewers. Even if you haven't heard or seen them, others have and while he's no A-lister I'd suggest you're far more likely to find people who've heard of him amongst the general public than any speedway rider.

It's clear he's had the services of an excellent publicist/agent, the kind of effective publicity that speedway is crying out for.

If only we could get such a person interested in speedway.

Oh wait...........

Ultimately it does no harm and might do some good. Why not be positive for once and not just sit and bitch about previous promotions?

• Like 5

I find the negativity regarding Guy Martin sad, depressing and deeply frustrating. Okay, so many of you haven't heard of him or care about knowing him. Fine, you have freedom not to know people or their achievements, it's not a crime.

I'd never heard of him - until he started hosting several reasonably high-profile programmes on Channel Four. It got to the point where it seemed that any programme about machines with motors involved would be hosted by him - bikes, plane restoration, general mechanical engineering. These are programmes that attract millions of viewers. Even if you haven't heard or seen them, others have and while he's no A-lister I'd suggest you're far more likely to find people who've heard of him amongst the general public than any speedway rider.

It's clear he's had the services of an excellent publicist/agent, the kind of effective publicity that speedway is crying out for.

Oh wait...........

Ultimately it does no harm and might do some good. Why not be positive for once and not just sit and bitch about previous promotions?

Like I said before, you lucky bugg**s, wish he was coming up to Berwick, we would probably fill the stadium.

• Like 2

Oh wait...........

You were doing so well until that last bit.

Leigh Lanham added to the start list for Lakeside's opening Spring Trophy meeting on 18th, making it 4 x Rockets in the field along with Eddie Kennett, Stuart Robson and Ben Morley.

You were doing so well until that last bit.

Frankly Ben91 I don't care about your particular opinion since you are part of the problem at Rye House, along with several contributors here. I firmly stand by my comment.

Now that Silver and most importantly those he surrounds himself with are gone I was planning to make only my second visit to the track in twenty years for the opener but when I look at the attitudes of several contributors here I'm really not keen on sharing my leisure time a long way from home in their company, even in the expanses of a stadium.

For someone who spent 25 years devoted to Rye House, I never thought I'd have to say that. Clearly times and the people have changed, emphatically for the worst, even if this is just an obnoxious minority.

• Like 2

Frankly Ben91 I don't care about your particular opinion since you are part of the problem at Rye House, along with several contributors here. I firmly stand by my comment.

Now that Silver and most importantly those he surrounds himself with are gone I was planning to make only my second visit to the track in twenty years for the opener but when I look at the attitudes of several contributors here I'm really not keen on sharing my leisure time a long way from home in their company, even in the expanses of a stadium.

For someone who spent 25 years devoted to Rye House, I never thought I'd have to say that. Clearly times and the people have changed, emphatically for the worst, even if this is just an obnoxious minority.

Grow up man, people who pay their way are allowed to have their say. And people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I don't care if you devoted 25 years or 25 minutes it doesn't make your opinion more valid or you more knowledgeable than anyone else.

• Like 7

Grow up man, people who pay their way are allowed to have their say. And people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I don't care if you devoted 25 years or 25 minutes it doesn't make your opinion more valid or you more knowledgeable than anyone else.

Well said that man!!

I've devoted 31 years of my life following Rye House up and down the country. Am I allowed an opinion?

Edited by Shads
  • Like 3

Think you'll find that's David Coulthard.

You are absolutely right. So who the hell is Richard Coulthard lol!

My 1 year old throws tantrums less than you,

• Like 8

Don't let the bar stewards grind you down, new broom and all that..... Get yourself down there, and savour the whole smell of the place again..

We have similar doom mongers and nay Sayers up here, just ignore and they'll eventually get bored....

Had to chip in here. I stumbled upon Guy Martin (I'm ashamed to say) when I unwittingly watched TT3D: Closer To The Edge.

Stunning. Followed whatever he has done since then, and become a TT addict!

Like I say, I am ashamed at how slow I was on the uptake.

Great person to have anywhere in speedway!

• Like 1

Don't let the bar stewards grind you down, new broom and all that..... Get yourself down there, and savour the whole smell of the place again..

We have similar doom mongers and nay Sayers up here, just ignore and they'll eventually get bored....

Ignore the people that pay through the gate to keep the place going. Great advice. I'm glad you're not my accountant

• Like 2

It'd be hard for him to ignore himself.

• Like 2

As one of the obnoxious minority i am so pleased you have chosen not to attend. At least the obnoxious contributors on here put their hands in their pockets and give the club their hard earned cash unlike you who sat in the Refs box boring us silly while of course not parting with anything. Why you don't stay away from this forum i will never know. You never have a good word for anyone who has a differing view from you. You are Mr McCaffrey a very sad individual.

• Like 4

As one of the obnoxious minority i am so pleased you have chosen not to attend. At least the obnoxious contributors on here put their hands in their pockets and give the club their hard earned cash unlike you who sat in the Refs box boring us silly while of course not parting with anything. Why you don't stay away from this forum i will never know. You never have a good word for anyone who has a differing view from you. You are Mr McCaffrey a very sad individual.

According to today's SS someone who will attend is John Sampford, now as a paying supporter. Clearly, he doesn't bear a grudge so I hope we can give him a warm welcome.

• Like 2