British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Speedway Star Item

But if it's on big league he'll get a lot of meetings in UK. 38+ league matches, KO Cup, Pairs, 4TT, PLRC, plus any other individual meetings etc.

Also for a Danny King who MIGHT suffer, there a Richie Worrall who will be better off.

I'd also suggest 6 rider teams. 2 Heat Leaders 2 Second String 2 Res. another Cost cutting exercise as well as assuring teams can be filled.

i heard this argument in 1968 and 69 when 17 (I think) new tracks opened over the two years- that was about 120 or so new riders

found them alright and found more when injuries occured

and would this time

Edited by ch958

Well I guess the answer is leave it as it is then..

• Like 1

Typical shabby Speedway journalism, using facts and putting the truth ahead of somebody's right to a rant!!

What's more factual and truthful about it than anyone else's opinion? I notice Philippe didn't mention that James Easter has also been a shareholder.

Is the idea that GP riders are expensive not entirely presumptuous? Does it not entirely depend on the rider, their demands, their value etc….

Eg if GP rider Y races for a side and their attendances increase by X as a result of performances with him in the side, they make the Play Offs, they progress in the Cup, they don't miss meetings, they don't cause a change of race night due to clashes, they bring in more sponsors etc is not damaging to then chase that rider out the country even if their demands are perfectly reasonable….who even is the one that decides what is seen as “reasonable”.

I am a Berwick fan, in a one league structure why should my club (this isn’t in anyway a dig at them) get to decide/be used as a gauge to what Swindon or Coventry want to pay a rider?

You can water a product down but you are still going to have to pay certain riders what will be seen as “market value”….if anything a one league structure increases "market value" of riders for 50% of the sides in the league....Poole and Newcastle have to find a side that is on a even scale... genuinely how does that work?

Poole are going to want to 3.00 talent Newcastle want, the 7.00 Oz talent Newcastle want, the Number 1 Newcastle want, the he could up his average second string Newcastle want....after Newcastle find they cannot compete with Poole they then have to go to battle with every other EL side before you even think about cash rich PL sides.....genuinely what are Newcastle going to be left with....they have hardly beeen great this season but in one league they are going to have half that average side taken from them!

A “big league” would see absurdly average riders given value far above their mediocre talent simply due to their false worth to a side, as well as that you can imagine the bitching and politicking re average agreements and what riders would or wouldn’t come in at.

I don’t think people should feel shunned if others don’t agree with them but jeezo at least show some strength in your beliefs rather than simply accusing others of trolling/bullying if they ask a question of it…most of the time fans are only asking out of curiosity/to find answers rather than to belittle people..

Eg….if I come out with the idea of….have a league that only features foreign riders, no need for Brits I wouldn’t expect to be able to post that without questioning or validation of my rationale…. and if I was I personally wouldn't simply say...good old days 50s/60s etc....you're picking on me...let's just give up then...yes you're right there is nothing wrong with the sport etc.

Edited by sparkafag

There are 26 doubling up riders in the EL. There are 19 riders on a 6.5+ average. My suggestion of 70 was vastly over estimated above. But 45 riders need to be found. That's 45 NL riders, 45 NL riders who are not already riding PL or EL draft. So you're talking having any rider with a NL average of 4 or more, and you're assuming the likes of Armstrong and Atkins want to be in this big league.

You've also forced Danny King, Robert Lambert and Chris Harris out of British speedway. In fact you've forced Danny out of the sport as he only rides in the UK.

There are not enough riders for one big league. So it cannot be done. It also does not solve anything. What problem have you fixed by having one big league?

1 big league may be the only option.With the future of certain clubs in doubt its possible the Elite league may be down to 6 clubs next year,5 the year after.The Premier league could lose 3 clubs,is a 10 team Premier league viable.If any of this comes to fruition 2 leagues,Premier and National will be the only option.

Think of the riders,if these guys are to be professionals they need 30 + meetings a year, not possible with riding in such leagues with small numbers.

Edited by New Science

What's more factual and truthful about it than anyone else's opinion? I notice Philippe didn't mention that James Easter has also been a shareholder.

Saints preserve us!

The conspiracy is outrageous.

The revelations about Ted Heath will be wiped from the front pages.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

"You can water a product down but you are still going to have to pay certain riders what will be seen as “market value”…."

of course that is correct but a rider asking unreasonable money should in theory be easier to replace if he is not a world star and yes certain non star riders will suddenly become quite attractive to teams

there's always going to be haves and have nots - there is in any sport but we'll soon be at the stage when the EL will consist of 4/5 teams - there has to be a way of embracing Berwick, Redcar, etc in a competition and it has to be at their level not Poole's, however that is achieved

Don't forget this may only be a temporary situation - the sport could begin to market itself better, make sure trackes are properly prepared and it may grow again in which case we can go back to Div 1 and 2 (and 3)

Does anyone have a better realistic proposal

I've said it before and I shall say it again.

If speedway was more popular in 1965 than it is now we need to learn the lessons from history.

Give the public what was proven to work.

SCB has offered an opinion - nothing more. My opinion differs but i haven't got the energy to slog it out with blinkered people - I'm just stating reality as i see it. We can't afford to go on as we are. There are answers - use juniors, smaller teames, etc but i can't be arsed arguing

No he hasn't, SCB has given the facts.

You're now moving the goalposts by suggesting the use of 'juniors'.

You were complaining that we were suggesting that one big league wouldn't be of a higher quality with closer racing.. using juniors clearly isn't going to help that problem, in fact it will make it worse.

I've said it before and I shall say it again.

If speedway was more popular in 1965 than it is now we need to learn the lessons from history.

Give the public what was proven to work.

Speedways problem is that it is too much like it was in 1965.

"You can water a product down but you are still going to have to pay certain riders what will be seen as “market value”…."

of course that is correct but a rider asking unreasonable money should in theory be easier to replace if he is not a world star and yes certain non star riders will suddenly become quite attractive to teams

there's always going to be haves and have nots - there is in any sport but we'll soon be at the stage when the EL will consist of 4/5 teams - there has to be a way of embracing Berwick, Redcar, etc in a competition and it has to be at their level not Poole's, however that is achieved

Don't forget this may only be a temporary situation - the sport could begin to market itself better, make sure trackes are properly prepared and it may grow again in which case we can go back to Div 1 and 2 (and 3)

Does anyone have a better realistic proposal

Its not the fans that should have to come up with realistic solutions it's the Promotions IMO .(if they think anything needs done).Personaly I think if is difficult task to revive the sport without radical changes and fresh ideas,Mines would be regionalisation and possibly bringing back 4tt qualifiers to creat some extra fixtures and a shorter season.You might have to lower the standard to revive the sport.The original 2nd division in 1968 was not the high standard that it developed into when introduced.

I'm not a huge Cricket fan but few years ago I met Robert Key who was at the time Kent Captain. He told me they make more money in a single 20 20 game then they do in the rest of the county season. The traditionalists hate 20 20 but the fact is it's been brilliant for the sport.
Speedway can no longer say it was popular way back when so let's go back to the way it was. We need to come up with ideas on how to move it forward.
Now all we need to do is come up with those ideas...

Edited by PNYC

Has speedway journalism really got anything to do with the state the sport is in.!!! The letters page was the forum before social media began, that was about it.

No he hasn't, SCB has given the facts.

You're now moving the goalposts by suggesting the use of 'juniors'.

You were complaining that we were suggesting that one big league wouldn't be of a higher quality with closer racing.. using juniors clearly isn't going to help that problem, in fact it will make it worse.

Speedways problem is that it is too much like it was in 1965.

sorry i have no idea what you're talking about

sorry i have no idea what you're talking about

We've gathered that throughout the course of the thread.

• Like 1

All I'm suggesting is a bigger league with higher quality riders and more variety for the fans (ie not seeing the same team at the track 4+ times a year) may go some way to improving things.

We don't need higher quality riders, you can get good racing in the National League. What we want is better presentation at the tracks not just 15 heats and the rest of the evening standing around in silence and the 7 riders named in the official team actually turning up.

• Like 2