British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Why Was Wembley Better Than Cardiff?.

Yawn.

Why YAWN? respect the man's opinion Cardiff can only DREAM of having the crowds Wembley had.If somebody come up with the money with a top class field at Wembley they would get a bigger gate than Cardiff.

So ypu don't think either Egon Muller or Jerzy Szczakiel were worthy world champions! Why's that?

Because within a month of Egon Mullers title win he rode in Ole Olsens farewell that was basically the World Final field and he performed terribly. Had that been a GP he'd have ruined any chance he had of being Champion. He was no doubt a very good rider but very few people consider him to have been the best rider in the World, which is what a World Champion should be.

TBF, as a relative youngster, I must admit, I'd love to go to a one of World Final. The idea that you don't know who is going to be World Champion until the last 4 heats of the night but at the start of the night technically any one of 16 can win it must have been brilliant.

But I do think the GPs give a fairer World Champion. We'll never have another Muller or Szczakiel.

Muller was a very good rider,and every other rider knew on that day he was the man to beat he had quick bikes he deserved to win.

Because within a month of Egon Mullers title win he rode in Ole Olsens farewell that was basically the World Final field and he performed terribly. Had that been a GP he'd have ruined any chance he had of being Champion. He was no doubt a very good rider but very few people consider him to have been the best rider in the World, which is what a World Champion should be.

Were Greece when they won the Euros? sport should always give a chance to the OUTSIDER this GP series in a way is a bit of a closed shop.An example you can have a rider who comes eighth every year he will never will win it but gets a place year in year out .
  • Like 1

Were Greece when they won the Euros? sport should always give a chance to the OUTSIDER this GP series in a way is a bit of a closed shop.An example you can have a rider who comes eighth every year he will never will win it but gets a place year in year out .

The same method of qualification happens in other motor sport GPs. What you mention is not in speedway alone - the difference it is accepted in these other motor sports. But then it would not be speedway if there were not voices of disapproval about something (usually everything) taking place.

Muller was a very good rider,and every other rider knew on that day he was the man to beat he had quick bikes he deserved to win.Were Greece when they won the Euros? sport should always give a chance to the OUTSIDER this GP series in a way is a bit of a closed shop.An example you can have a rider who comes eighth every year he will never will win it but gets a place year in year out .

Tai Woffinden.

• Like 2

TBF, as a relative youngster, I must admit, I'd love to go to a one of World Final. The idea that you don't know who is going to be World Champion until the last 4 heats of the night but at the start of the night technically any one of 16 can win it must have been brilliant.

But I do think the GPs give a fairer World Champion. We'll never have another Muller or Szczakiel.

q

I went to two as a youngster and loved them, despite the fact that they were at two of the less salubrious stadiums to host finals (norden in 83 and Bradford in 80). I also loved the earlier qualifying rounds - overseas, commonwealth and ic finals. But unquestionably the gp series is a better measure of best rider in the world

Egon was a class act, but would never have got near to top 3 over a gp season.

Edited to add: doesn't get much better than a 3 man run off to decide the world title, even if the rider you wanted to win (shooey) wasn't in it, and the final missing the local rider who would have been red hot favourite to win the meeting

I liked the one-Off finals,and now I like the Gp series.Both good in their own ways.

• Like 1

Tai Woffinden.

What i meant Witcher was a rider who deserved to be in but was never ever going to win it so in a way the series needs freshening up.Woffinden it was great that he was aloud in it,was that because he was British? also alot on here did not agree with the decision as i remember.As it stands at the moment the series is fairer than the old system for a few, but the series does not have all the best riders in the world in it at this present time and if anything i prefer the Euro line ups more. Edited by sidney

at this present time and if anything i prefer the Euro line ups more.

Without the best rider in Europe?

Niamh

Club championships in most sports are ran over a season, why should individual championships be different? The old one off world final was about putting 5 good races together on the day, I know you still had to get there, British qualifying, Inc semis and British final, commonwealth final, inter continental final, etc so you had to have some on going form.. I now prefer the GP'S, that's the "Modern Route"....

Would either of them have won over a 6 round series staged in different countries?

That is the point.

They were world champions however and that can never be taken away, their victory was as worthy as any other world champions.

Muller was flying the year he was world champion

I was not making an all-embracing comparison between old and new but directly comparing Wembley Finals against Cardiff GP's.

Younger fans can obviously not compare neither can older fans who saw World Finals, but not at Wembley. I would wager that fans from my era who saw many Wembley finals can recall the drama, the excitement and the thrill of seeing a world Champion crowned. How many fans who started attending post 1995 have actually seen a rider win a World Title?..

If we had a World Final every 4 years at Wembley or Olympic Park, would that be a bad thing. In the intervening years we would have the European Final, Inter-Continental Final or such, with probably a better field than the current British GP.

Yes, GP's are here to stay but I always left Wembley buzzing. I did not leave Cardiff buzzing and I forgot the meeting a week later, sad to say as I was really hyped up pre-meeting having not attended a meeting in 30 years.

OK, I know I'm a dinosaur reminiscing about the past but I still think Wembley was better than Cardiff. :D

• Like 1

Yet wouldn't have finished ahead of Nielsen gundersen sigalos Lee or Carter over a full season.

Yet wouldn't have finished ahead of Nielsen gundersen sigalos Lee or Carter over a full season.

British speedway fans WILL NEVER FORGIVE Jerzy Szaczakiel and Egon Muller for winning world championship finals.

Edited by Guest