British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Why Was Wembley Better Than Cardiff?.

When a fan went to Wembley to watch a World Final he knew he was going to see someone crowned World Champion. He knew he might see a rider win his 1st. title, or make history by winning his 5th. He knew he could see an outsider crowned champion or see the favourite beaten.

When a fan goes to Cardiff nothing is really at stake. The top scorer might not be the winner. Whoever wins it is not a pointer to who will win the title. In essence Cardiff is a glorified open meeting, on a par with the old Internationale.

If Cardiff hosted a World Final and not a GP I believe the crowd would be significantly higher.

I know GP's are here to stay but Cardiff aside the crowds are not great. Having been to Wembley Finals and been in Cardiff for last year's GP, I say Wembley was better than Cardiff. 75,000+ trumps 40,000 after all.

• Like 2

Could always start another topic.

Why is Cardiff better than Pocking?

Cardiff os better than Wembley and GPs are better than a one off world final. Thats why here here to stay

Edited by phillipsr
  • Like 1

When a fan went to Wembley to watch a World Final he knew he was going to see someone crowned World Champion. He knew he might see a rider win his 1st. title, or make history by winning his 5th. He knew he could see an outsider crowned champion or see the favourite beaten.

When a fan goes to Cardiff nothing is really at stake. The top scorer might not be the winner. Whoever wins it is not a pointer to who will win the title. In essence Cardiff is a glorified open meeting, on a par with the old Internationale.

If Cardiff hosted a World Final and not a GP I believe the crowd would be significantly higher.

I know GP's are here to stay but Cardiff aside the crowds are not great. Having been to Wembley Finals and been in Cardiff for last year's GP, I say Wembley was better than Cardiff. 75,000+ trumps 40,000 after all.

Yawn.

• Like 1

Yes I know...I'm a boring old fart locked in the past :rofl:

• Like 1

Cardiff os better than Wembley and GPs are better than a one off world final. Thats why here here to stay

Let's be clear on this - that is just your opinion

Others, myself included, have different opinions

Having been at Wroclaw in 1970 and Goteburg in 1977 - both dramatic in their own way - and seen some memorable finals at Wembley, I have to say that the circus of the GPs will never compare favourably

They are a series of international individual events, where, strangely, the top scorer on the night may not be the winner, and the overall winner of the series may not even have won one of them

• Like 1

Each to their own,never went to Wembley for speedway(was only 10 at the time of the last final)but have been to every GP at Cardiff.

Cardiff is good but it can never recreate the tension of a one off world final.A years work in one meeting,no tailing off at the back not trying like KK in the GP this year.

Far more incentive for a rider to keep trying in the GPS,whereas in a world final after two rides they may have nothing to race for.

On a 1-1 basis I'd day Wembley beats cardiff, BUT you'd only get a world final in the UK every 5 years now, and its doubtful any promoter would risk holding it at Wembley (assuming even available), so you may well end up with cardiff anyway, just 20% as often. Not sure the crowd would me much bigger than the 40k mark either.

• Like 2

Each to their own,never went to Wembley for speedway(was only 10 at the time of the last final)but have been to every GP at Cardiff.

Cardiff is good but it can never recreate the tension of a one off world final.A years work in one meeting,no tailing off at the back not trying like KK in the GP this year.

FaR more tailing off in a world final! Your whole meeting can be done after 2 races.

FaR more tailing off in a world final! Your whole meeting can be done after 2 races.

So?

That's just why the one-off finals were, in the main, so dramatic and unforgettable - who could tell what might happen? Who might make the rostrum? Good and bad drama - like when Nigel Boocock had 8 from 3, and looked a possible champion, then it all fell away

Now it's fairly clear from a distance who will be in medal positions

And of course, the Empire Stadium, even aged 50+, had a magic of its own, even on what became a temporary track

• Like 1

So?

That's just why the one-off finals were, in the main, so dramatic and unforgettable - who could tell what might happen? Who might make the rostrum? Good and bad drama - like when Nigel Boocock had 8 from 3, and looked a possible champion, then it all fell away

Now it's fairly clear from a distance who will be in medal positions

And of course, the Empire Stadium, even aged 50+, had a magic of its own, even on what became a temporary track

I bet you hate the play-offs too don't you?

TBF, as a relative youngster, I must admit, I'd love to go to a one of World Final. The idea that you don't know who is going to be World Champion until the last 4 heats of the night but at the start of the night technically any one of 16 can win it must have been brilliant.

But I do think the GPs give a fairer World Champion. We'll never have another Muller or Szczakiel.

TBF, as a relative youngster, I must admit, I'd love to go to a one of World Final. The idea that you don't know who is going to be World Champion until the last 4 heats of the night but at the start of the night technically any one of 16 can win it must have been brilliant.

But I do think the GPs give a fairer World Champion. We'll never have another Muller or Szczakiel.

So ypu don't think either Egon Muller or Jerzy Szczakiel were worthy world champions! Why's that?

So ypu don't think either Egon Muller or Jerzy Szczakiel were worthy world champions! Why's that?

Would either of them have won over a 6 round series staged in different countries?

That is the point.

They were world champions however and that can never be taken away, their victory was as worthy as any other world champions.

I reckon muller would have had a very slight chance the pole however no chance.then again isn't that why the one offs added excitement.however I prefer the gps

Edited by bruno