British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

King's Lynn V Coventry Wed 19th August

Trouble is it brings nothing in for the 4 teams not in the play offs. These teams could compete in a KO Cup to provide income and prevent an early end to the season imo..

Who's fault is that. Everybody starts at 0 at the start of the season. Yep, posibly, they could do. But if we only have 8 teams in the league next season, the only way to stop the big gaps is to compress the season. April to September, with a couple of gaps for the posibillity of rain off's. But do clubs want the K O Cup comps and the like. ? I would say no, because the fans don't want them the promotions don't want them, because they will lose money and clubs have to stay afloat. You will never please everybody whatever you do. Especially on here.

• Like 1

Play off's bring in the money, ask you promoter. But not in the middle of fecking October.

Funny that I can remember massive crowds for play offs in October. It's Sky that don't like it because if one is rained off it's mucks their schedule up.

The sport should be run for riders and fans not for the convenience of a TV company.

Funny that I can remember massive crowds for play offs in October. It's Sky that don't like it because if one is rained off it's mucks their schedule up.

The sport should be run for riders and fans not for the convenience of a TV company.

Well there you go, you cannot run play off's in the middle of October nowadays, when you are fighting with the weather. Why does it muck their schedule up ? They choose it, and the clubs involved cannot argue with it, they get money out of it. Thats why with 8 clubs you have got to compress the league from April to September with a couple of gaps for rain off's and everything done and dusted by the end of September, no later.

• Like 1

The reason the play offs are earlier this year is because of the Australian SGP

• Like 1

The reason the play offs are earlier this year is because of the Australian SGP

And thats how it should stay.. In September.

You need to give a few weeks to get the play offs completed because of the weather. If you start the playoffs in October you really do run the risk of it not being completed. Starting the playoffs in the middle of September is sensible.

• Like 1

And thats how it should stay.. In September.

And start in April, just have challenges in March when it is cold.

Lord knows how we ever coped with a season running from mid-March to the end of October with 26-30 meetings a season? Yes life has moved on, or is it down?

You just see the season being nibbled away each year as the sport in Britain decays. There was a time when if a track closed mid-September you feared it wouldn't re-open the next. Now some close in August!

Don't give me the weather excuse. Octobers can be as dry as the rest of the year, just as summer months can be soaking wet.

I just wonder if people have conveniently short memories or no sense of the bigger picture. There's perhaps no greater sign of the economic plight of British speedway than the collapsing length of season. Of course if promoters were making money it wouldn't be the case. I'm sure there were very simple reasons why Len Silver at Hackney ran over 30 meetings a year.

There's a lot of work to be done to repair the damage, but of course the lazy excuse will come up of "Life's moved on and we can't do anything" which is the most convenient line for just stumbling on and hoping for the best.

I hope we have a good match tonight. Lord knows, we need one.

Predictions anyone?

I will say KL 48-42

I would be happy with that Gater1 but think King's Lynn will be too strong at home esp with Lindgren in for Milik & Garrity not fit.

Predicting 50-40

1970's/1980's The first meeting was usually the last week in March, the season would then close during the last week in October, usually with a friendly or individual meeting, followed by some donkey races or mini bikes for the riders, then the mechanics would have a race or two, then farewells from the riders and finally a firework display....

That's how it used to roll......

• Like 1

I would be happy with that Gater1 but think King's Lynn will be too strong at home esp with Lindgren in for Milik & Garrity not fit.

Predicting 50-40

Kerr is also a big miss for kings lynn !!

Kerr is also a big miss for kings lynn !!

Yes he is but I think Adam Ellis will get as many points that Kerr would.

I'm going for Coventry to lose by about 12 points. :neutral:

The rain will get to kings Lynn around 8pm, by then it will have virtually died out as it hits the scandi high, so very light rain, and only falling as showers now.... Should be ok..