British Speedway Forum
lastword

Speedway Star Interview With Alex Harkess

At last someone admits there are too many guests, but nobody will admit that although riders are missing due to doubling up and foreign commitments, the number of injuries account for a large number of guests bookings. The only way you will resolve this is to have bikes suitable for the size of the tracks they race on, if that means having less power, getting rid of lay downs or 250cc speedway bikes, that's surely better than no speedway at all, which is where the sport is rapidly heading.

• Like 1

At last someone admits there are too many guests, but nobody will admit that although riders are missing due to doubling up and foreign commitments, the number of injuries account for a large number of guests bookings. The only way you will resolve this is to have bikes suitable for the size of the tracks they race on, if that means having less power, getting rid of lay downs or 250cc speedway bikes, that's surely better than no speedway at all, which is where the sport is rapidly heading.

Well said oldtimer. :t::approve:

• Like 1

i agree but someone has posted on here that laydowns are easier to ride not harder - crucially i don't know and maybe neither did he. We need some ex riders without axes to grind or things to sell to come up with answers to that. Deano used to talk sense but i think he's given up on us.

If you look at videos of the recent World Junior Championships on YouTube, the 250s look adequately fast but how reliable would they be and would they be even more dependent on tuners and setup?

Taken all in all - the worst thing to happen to the Sport as far as British Speedway is concerned.

Of course, that is only my opinion.

One I share wholeheartedly , The recent decline in attendances has been entirely down to the GPs , I cannot think of a single benefit to British speedway from the GPs . but an absolute shedload of downsides , when the Gp started in 1995 all but 2 of the 23 riders in that series rode for teams in the UK , and the 6 meeting series was easily accomodated without too much disruption to the domestic calendar , once BSI realised they had been given a goose that laid golden eggs , they quickly expanded the series and therefore their opportunity to profit from a Product that was earning it's living from other sources , the British promoters and supporters , world championship affairs were once an opportunity for British speedway to earn a much needed cash boost from , but now world championship is poison to speedway . we should have cut the GP riders loose when BSI's ambitions became apparent instead of Kowtowing to them . if we had rid ourselves of the GP riders in 2000 , and kept a regular race night maybe we would not have lost as much support as we have now

• Like 4

One I share wholeheartedly , The recent decline in attendances has been entirely down to the GPs , I cannot think of a single benefit to British speedway from the GPs . but an absolute shedload of downsides , when the Gp started in 1995 all but 2 of the 23 riders in that series rode for teams in the UK , and the 6 meeting series was easily accomodated without too much disruption to the domestic calendar , once BSI realised they had been given a goose that laid golden eggs , they quickly expanded the series and therefore their opportunity to profit from a Product that was earning it's living from other sources , the British promoters and supporters , world championship affairs were once an opportunity for British speedway to earn a much needed cash boost from , but now world championship is poison to speedway . we should have cut the GP riders loose when BSI's ambitions became apparent instead of Kowtowing to them . if we had rid ourselves of the GP riders in 2000 , and kept a regular race night maybe we would not have lost as much support as we have now

Breaking away from the rest and having one semi-pro league and one amateur league, is something that comes to mind.

• Like 2

RE .... Engines ....250 s will not get the job done...... they just dont have the torque.......can be just plain dangerous when the track has some drive.....Its time league riders realize most of them cant justify running a GP spec motor 4 nights a week.......... Regulate the league motors...... Leave the SGP guys to do what they must. Other forms of motor sport dont run F1 motors 4nights a week.....it wouldnt stack up.

RE .... Engines ....250 s will not get the job done...... they just dont have the torque.......can be just plain dangerous when the track has some drive.....Its time league riders realize most of them cant justify running a GP spec motor 4 nights a week.......... Regulate the league motors...... Leave the SGP guys to do what they must. Other forms of motor sport dont run F1 motors 4nights a week.....it wouldnt stack up.

Spot on.

The two things speedway needs to give it a chance of a brighter future is leadership and a business plan.

The current system doesn't allow this.

Whether it's Mr Harkess or anyone else in charge the ability to make decisions in favour of the greater good just isn't there.

There's simply too much self-interest. Needs an impartial leader, not connected with any clubs.

All the ideas posters come up with are well intended, but under the current system it's just moving the deck chairs in reality.

Strong leadership, with decisions made within the framework of a plan is the way forward.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

Too bad that Bluejam off here couldn't have asked one certain question of the sport's imperious leader...

More worrying was the interview with David Helmsley,the Leicester promoter.He says that the quality of racing at Leicester is on a par with any other Elite league track.From what I've read on here from posters they are either all wrong or Mr Helmsley is deluded.Pay me what I put in and you can do what you want with the track.Think that,s the biggest indication that there will not be any changes to the shape /length of the track while he is in charge.He is right on one front that the majority of guests required are due to injuries at Leicester this season.Unfortunately we have to get real,under the current regulations injuries have been on the rise for at least 3 years,unless the F.I.M seriously look at what is contributing to the level on injuries and do something about it by changing the specifications of the bikes (they won't) then unfortunately injuries are here to stay and its business as usual next year at Leicester

Edited by New Science

Some of our promoters can't even get what I consider the basics right 😕

• Like 1