British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Slovenian Gp Saturday 12th September 2015

Does anyone question the power tai has in his engines compared to other riders ? A huge difference.

same question was asked with ricko

Does anyone question the power tai has in his engines compared to other riders ? A huge difference.

If Tais engines were illegally fast how illegal were Gregs as he pulled away form Tai twice!

The semi final qualifying scores were probably the highest I have ever seen in a GP in its current format. Poor Janowski missing out on 9 points! Sometimes 7 gets you in.... What is the lowest score from 5 rides that could get you a semi final, and what technically is the highest non qualifying score possible, are these known quantities? I am sure I have seen a 6 get in before, never remember a 9 not qualifying.......

Scott Nicholls once score 6 and made and semi in Italy and I'm reliably informed AJ once score 9 in Denmark and failed to make the semi. Technically you could score 10 and fail to make the semi final, maybe even 11 but I'd have to give that one some thought.

If Tais engines were illegally fast how illegal were Gregs as he pulled away form Tai twice!

Scott Nicholls once score 6 and made and semi in Italy and I'm reliably informed AJ once score 9 in Denmark and failed to make the semi. Technically you could score 10 and fail to make the semi final, maybe even 11 but I'd have to give that one some thought.

I think missing out on 11 is mathematically feasible ... just.

9 riders would have to tie on 11. They all beat the other bottom seven riders (7 points). Then each rider takes 4 of the 8 points available against the 11 point scorers.

I think that's the only way it could happen, but I stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

thinking back to john cook (I maybe wrong here),im think i recall he got warnings for wheelies deemed to be "not racing"....could this apply to tai for "not racing".......anyone whose read my tai posts in past will know Im not knocking tai here, its just a question over "not racing"...any gp final should be a flat out 4 lap race?

Edited by ColinMills

9 riders would have to tie on 11. They all beat the other bottom seven riders (7 points). Then each rider takes 4 of the 8 points available against the 11 point scorers.

I think you're right. I keep thinking it's possible but something makes me question it. I should really sit down and work it out. But I'm happy to accept you say so.

thinking back to john cook (I maybe wrong here),im think i recall he got warnings for wheelies deemed to be "not racing"....could this apply to tai for "not racing".......anyone whose read my tai posts in past will know Im not knocking tai here, its just a question over "not racing"...any gp final should be a flat out 4 lap race?

It's a bit, "losing the battle but winning the war". Is Tai not racing just because he's "only giving 80%"?

A few points..

Not a massive Hancock fan as a rider to watch but to say he should have retired 5 years ago is just plain ridiculous....there's no law to say you have to miss the gate ans pass people...gating is a skill in itself and Hancock over these last 5 years has been better than at any stage in his career so why should he retire.....yes he's a bit boring as a rider but that's not his problem..

Woffinden's bikes....they are obviously super fast but he still has to ride them and control them...and they certainly won't be illegal ...too many checks for that...credit where credit is due for riding those machines in the way he does.

Finally, the GP's are becoming a bit predictable in many ways, although that only follows most motor sports I suppose...it looks like the same few riders have the rocket ship bikes and they will always be at the top end while the rest struggle...it's become almost a 2 tier GrandPrix system with a narrower field of possible world champions all the time....if this continues we could see Tai winning 7 or 8 world titles !....it would be nice to have more competitive riders at the top end with realistic chances of winning the title.....little wonder Hancock continues ..I think it's vital that Sayfutdinov is in the series and the young Poles get up to speed ....gutting that Ward can't join in.....the series badly needs more real top end competition to prevent it becoming more predictable each year

• Like 2

Maybe he just enjoys it , and the record books will show him to be one of the best ever. And he wouldnt have cheated like Penhall in 1982 letting countrymen past him to qualify for the intercontinental final whilst pulling wheelies at the back. Grin has more class than he ever had.

No. He had Sam ermolenko letting him past on the last bend of an overseas final to make sure he qualified instead!

Yep spot on, you could miss out with 11.

You could scrape in with 4! (Bottom nine riders all scoring 4 points, a bit like the above scenario in reverse)

Tai is the cleverest rider I can remember seeing for a long time.

You can see his brain working and figuring things out with every lap.

How many riders have come from last to first twice in one meeting?

Incredible stuff.

I know that this is not really a very nice thing to say, but Greg on the other hand has to be most boring rider in the entire history of speedway racing, who has overstayed his welcome in the sport by at least 5 years.

I always record the GP's and watch, 20 minutes or so behind so I can fast forward through the commercials - and all of Greg's races.

For goodness sake Mrs Hancock, demand that your husband retires after this season.

That is what I said and do myself. Tia like PC/Loram and many others make you want to go to a meeting, Hancock makes you stay at home.

• Like 1

I know that if you have the power (in an engine) you still got to be able to ride it, but Tais and Gregs bikes last night were so fast. If I was one of the other riders using the same tuner as T & G I would be asking the question why are they going so much faster when I am paying the same good money for my tuning.

More so this year then the previous couple years there seems to be a divide in the quality of the GP riders........ the top 5 or 6 this year seem to be in a different class to the rest. Yes, sometimes someone from the "lower ranks" shine for a meeting, but definately a divide.

Wouldnt call last nights meeting a classic by any stretch of the imagination, some good races, and Tais passing was exceptional.

As to whether Tai is racing all the time or not - when you got a fast rider in front of you, catching him may be possible, but passing is a different thing. Tai knows that, and hes not going to risk the rest of the seasons GPs in pinching a point. He stays in touch, so if the rider upfront makes a mistake he is there ready to punce. Sensible head on a young rider.

• Like 1

Did ya see Greg's bike jump\twitch when he caught a bit of dirt, he had an extreme old set up?

Not the best meeting last night though Tai was amazing in a few races. Agree we've got a narrow field of potential world champ contenders this year, well it's a field of 1 now, but don't forget Tai is just 3 years into his second SGP stint and was a 500/1 shot to win his first world title so next year who knows what might happen.

Sadly I am worried that speedway will follow F1 in that there will be 2or 3 riders (on rocket ship bikes ) that have an unfair advantage over the rest ,I am not in anyway saying they are cheating .If you end up with the best riders on the the fastest bikes you end up as you did last night with several races where TAI went from last to first in the blink of an eye and Greg knowing if he gated he would not be past .IMO Tai is a great rider and a credit to the sport but i think that the bikes he rides makes look a little better than he really is,we are told almost no other rider could handle the power of his bikes which I find an insult to the other GP riders .

• Like 2

Mauger always had better equipment than his rivals. Penhall Nielsen gundersen Lee always seemed to have bikes that were quicker than anyone else's.

To be world champ you've always needed a combination of ability, mental toughness and good equipment - not much has changed.

• Like 3

I know that if you have the power (in an engine) you still got to be able to ride it, but Tais and Gregs bikes last night were so fast. If I was one of the other riders using the same tuner as T & G I would be asking the question why are they going so much faster when I am paying the same good money for my tuning.

PROBABLY due to the fact that Tai and Greg actually use the throttle. You can see it even on the TV. The super-fast PJR engines suit them rather than those who screw it on from the start and leave it that way. Also the way they ride, traditional, conventional style, no hanging off the bike, legs trailing, etc, so when they hit a rough bit on the track they remain in control.

Andreas Jonsson has had FIVE different tuners (including one twice) this year, one GP rider has spent over 50,000 euros on engines alone. They seem to ignore the possibility that it might actually be the rider rather than his equipment.

• Like 4

Mauger always had better equipment than his rivals. Penhall Nielsen gundersen Lee always seemed to have bikes that were quicker than anyone else's.

To be world champ you've always needed a combination of ability, mental toughness and good equipment - not much has changed.

Mauger may of had good kit but he didnot end up half a lap ahead that is the engine not the rider skill IMO

PROBABLY due to the fact that Tai and Greg actually use the throttle. You can see it even on the TV. The super-fast PJR engines suit them rather than those who screw it on from the start and leave it that way. Also the way they ride, traditional, conventional style, no hanging off the bike, legs trailing, etc, so when they hit a rough bit on the track they remain in control.

Andreas Jonsson has had FIVE different tuners (including one twice) this year, one GP rider has spent over 50,000 euros on engines alone. They seem to ignore the possibility that it might actually be the rider rather than his equipment.

So there are ONLY two riders in the world that can use a throttle never seen Peter Karlsson ride sorry Phil you way off the mark here .If given the chance to ride such super quick bikes the the rest of the riders may actually do the same and use throttle control but GM's have to be ridden to the stop ( so I am informed )andthey hang off trying to keep up with the rocket ships.

Edited by FAST GATER