British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

I am still waiting to hear what DH said on the radio or like me did everyone miss it. Not quite sure what he is going to do in 2016.

For one it looks like he needs a replacement for Jason and, how many of the other riders will he keep, Will the young Pole return next year. Lots of things need to be sorted out over the comiing months, one thing for sure he will have to dig deep into his pockets, next season to get a team together that will be a first class act. He could do woth, if he tried to get Emil or Arthur Laguta over here.

I am still waiting to hear what DH said on the radio or like me did everyone miss it. Not quite sure what he is going to do in 2016.

For one it looks like he needs a replacement for Jason and, how many of the other riders will he keep, Will the young Pole return next year. Lots of things need to be sorted out over the comiing months, one thing for sure he will have to dig deep into his pockets, next season to get a team together that will be a first class act. He could do woth, if he tried to get Emil or Arthur Laguta over here.

I didn't catch it or know anyone who did as they would of said.

I think a return to the premier league would be the best option.

• Like 1

It was basically an interview that was recorded some weeks ago because it was mentioned that Lions were bottom of the league. It was obviously aimed at people who were new to speedway as DH explained the rules & how the bikes worked etc.Then Alan Jones gave a brief history of the Lions from the 1930's to the present day & gave details about where the present track was. DH gave a brief run down about the team, naming the riders & what nationality they were etc.This was spread over 2 hours & little clips were played in between music & other items Frankly it was just aimed at trying to attract people new to the sport so became a little boring & I gave up listening after about an hour and an half, so I didn't hear the last part, but the way it was going I don't think anything interesting regarding next season was going to be said.

Think it was an interview in 2 parts. I heard the one last Tues and there was a follow up supposedly last Friday which I didn't hear.

He was saying that we made progress as we finished 6th. A disjointed season due to rider issues but in a way that has benefitted the lions as they used a number of guests who were impressed with what we have and some indicated a desire to ride for us. He said that they have plenty to choose from.

He said they first needed deal with ones they wanted to retain, Doyle, Wozniak and walasek if his shoulder could be sorted.

Being a Saturday night track is a problem with the top riders as has been a reason why Jason will be elsewhere in 2016.

Think it was an interview in 2 parts. I heard the one last Tues and there was a follow up supposedly last Friday which I didn't hear.

He was saying that we made progress as we finished 6th. A disjointed season due to rider issues but in a way that has benefitted the lions as they used a number of guests who were impressed with what we have and some indicated a desire to ride for us. He said that they have plenty to choose from.

He said they first needed deal with ones they wanted to retain, Doyle, Wozniak and walasek if his shoulder could be sorted.

Sounds like a different interview to the one I heard. I listened to the one advertised on the Lions website which was aired on Demon FM last saturday morning.

Keep up, it's about the fact that Leicester have lost a lot of fans over the last two years and not about crowd comparison to other clubs.

If the track was good then Leicester wouldn't be losing fans.

Keep up, crowds are down at all levels and most tracks.

Nothing to do with the track.

According to a report by Peter Oakes in the Daily Star Doyle will not be at Leicester next year. Mind you in the same report he refers to Belle Vue doing the treble in the 1990's so not exactly on the ball.

Being a Saturday night track is a problem with the top riders as has been a reason why Jason will be elsewhere in 2016.

was a massive problem at eastbourne

Peter Oakes article confirms nothing Leicester fans did not already know if the Leicester club continue with Saturday nights it will have to be without Doyle and Wozniak due to Poland on a Sunday.

With Doyle being a free agent Hemsley told him towards end of the season that he was to continue with Saturdays and will not change the track as suggested so Jason has looked elsewhere for a team spot and done an early deal so not to get left out.

The thing is now it looks like Leicester will be forced to run midweek if they continue with EL just as they see the No1 leave whom may have stayed with Mon racing.

Unless there is quick progress with new top riders wanting to come to Leicester I think it will be Premier league racing on Saturdays

British speedway has become dictated by what happens in Poland,Sweden and GP weekends as riders feel that is where the big money is now.

Speedway is in such a mess here that promoters need to forget the top guys and look closer to home,I rather watch young Brits in the national league than Johnny Foreigner who is more interested riding in Poland.

Leicester's only option is to ride in the premier or national league.

• Like 1

Peter Oakes article confirms nothing Leicester fans did not already know if the Leicester club continue with Saturday nights it will have to be without Doyle and Wozniak due to Poland on a Sunday.

With Doyle being a free agent Hemsley told him towards end of the season that he was to continue with Saturdays and will not change the track as suggested so Jason has looked elsewhere for a team spot and done an early deal so not to get left out.

The thing is now it looks like Leicester will be forced to run midweek if they continue with EL just as they see the No1 leave whom may have stayed with Mon racing.

Unless there is quick progress with new top riders wanting to come to Leicester I think it will be Premier league racing on Saturdays

It wont be any easier getting top riders to ride on a Monday either.
  • Like 2

British speedway has become dictated by what happens in Poland,Sweden and GP weekends as riders feel that is where the big money is now.

Speedway is in such a mess here that promoters need to forget the top guys and look closer to home,I rather watch young Brits in the national league than Johnny Foreigner who is more interested riding in Poland.

Leicester's only option is to ride in the premier or national league.

I think that any rider, be he "Johnny Foreigner" or "Johnny English", will prioritise Poland and Sweden over the UK if it came down to having to decide. (see Woffinden, T.). And it's probably not "big money" - more like better money?

But some are better than others, when it comes to sticking to their UK commitments, and it's usually because they are UK-based, like Iversen.

So I don't think you can generalise. And do you consider Australians to be in the "Johnny Foreigner" category?? Most of them are UK-based.

And I suppose just due to sheer numbers, it's pretty difficult to not need to employ a fair number of them, in order for teams to track 7 riders!

I think that Leicester's predicament (and there were plenty of us predicting it from well before they joined the EL) is similar to the overall predicament of the EL, Saturday race night or not. Leicester's situation is just made a lot worse by it.

Mr Hemsley's seemingly delusional output over the past two years about having "big name" riders lined-up has not fooled many, I'm sure. The thing is, does he still harbour such delusions? (and that's just the riders, never mind the track).

• Like 1