British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Anyone with the skill, nerve and judgement to regularly win races from the back at Leicester must be respected. His development as a rider in the past two years could be partly down to this factor,he just needs to develop his judgements and decision making in the GP's as he's done at Leicester. The second year in GP's should see that improvement as his familiarity with the tracks improve.

I've said something positive about the Leicester track there. Must go have a lie down.

• Like 2

DH has already stated that he runs Speedway on Saturdays and that wili not change

Edited by KIRKYLANE
  • Like 1

DH has already stated that he runs Speedway on Saturdays and that will nit change

Does anyone know if DH does indeed have a choice or was it a precondition of being allowed into the Elite league that the Lions had to have Saturday as their regular race night.

I recognise they raced on Saturday in the Premier League, but that would have been less challenging rider wise as fewer rode in Poland the next day both in terms of Leicester and the visiting team.

Does anyone know if DH does indeed have a choice or was it a precondition of being allowed into the Elite league that the Lions had to have Saturday as their regular race night.

I recognise they raced on Saturday in the Premier League, but that would have been less challenging rider wise as fewer rode in Poland the next day both in terms of Leicester and the visiting team.

That's a good question, I believe they can use the track for practice daily but not sure about race nights.

It has always been Saturdays with Sundays at 6pm as a back up night.

All the mid week have not been successful

DH has already stated that he runs Speedway on Saturdays and that wili not change

Jason Doyle has said that he is adamant that he will not race in England on Saturdays in 2016.

Leicester's owners have said that Saturday is the only viable night for them to race on and they will not change. They have also said that they will do everything they can to convince JD to stay. How they can do this therefore is a mystery. As it stands it looks odds on that they will have to replace their top rider.

Sounds like two immovable stances here,

Racing on Saturday will always make it more difficult to sign a GP rider.

Good luck Jason wherever you end up

Jason Doyle has said that he is adamant that he will not race in England on Saturdays in 2016.

Leicester's owners have said that Saturday is the only viable night for them to race on and they will not change. They have also said that they will do everything they can to convince JD to stay. How they can do this therefore is a mystery. As it stands it looks odds on that they will have to replace their top rider.

Its folly to run Elite speedway on Saturday night's...you end up with an uncompetitive team......better to run on another night or go back to the premier.
  • Like 1

Racing on a Saturday will always make it difficult to build a competitive EL team, never mind GP riders! And then you have the problem of opposing teams with riders who don't want to be there (and ride like it) or find handy reasons to be absent.

But maybe the Leicester promotion is happy to run with those factors, in the belief that a substandard product won't significantly affect income, and stuff the possibility of the team having any chance of winning anything.

But i think it would take a total blockhead to carry on promoting in the EL under those circumstances as it can't be sustainable in the longer term (and maybe even in the short term!).

GPs are not the problem as Leicester found this year; it is the Polish League meetings that are the problem!

The biggest factor at Leicester is nothing to do with either the GP's or any of the worlds other leauges. The biggest problem of all if a management team or maybe just DH who will not move away from anything that upsets the apple cart. Brings to mind the Frank Sinatra song " I did it my way "

leicester ran a GB v Aus meeting on a tuesday night a couple of years ago, not a bad crowd either imo.

http://www.cabinet.leicester.gov.uk/documents/s63295/20132313%20-%201%20THE%20LIONS%20LEICESTER%20LIONS%20SPEEDWAY.pdf

The planning documents show there is no restriction on the day speedway is run as long as it is between 08:00 - 22:30 and no more than 50 meetings per year.

I spoke to DH 2 weeks ago when Glyn Taylor had the ride n slide event at the track & I asked him about the potential change of race night. He said the Lions would continue to ride on Saturdays whilst he was the promoter (no one else has offered to takeover). Said he couldn't sustain financial losses of racing in midweek, it would kill the club as crowds were down on weekdays. He quoted the Poole meeting & GB v Aus challenge match as examples.

leicester ran a GB v Aus meeting on a tuesday night a couple of years ago, not a bad crowd either imo.

It was a really poor turn out and the meeting went on till about 10.45pm to a near empty stadium.

I agree with DH which is rare but speedway Has to be Saturday as no other night works as proven.