British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

SteveBrum- If you are unsure about the Masters situation why don't you ask him after a Wolves meeting next year and he will tell you exactly the same story.

• Like 2

Its just so bleeding simple and obvious that it's painful. Has been all along.

Elite league on Saturday is a no-go. Premier league on Saturday is workable. Best day for speedway in Leicester is Saturday. Friday could be ok, but there are issues with that, so it's not an option at present anyway.

The track is dire and needs to be changed, not just altered.

It's not complicated, is it?

interestingly just having a group pm with 5 huge speedway fans from Leicester on BSF. I think out of those 5, 4 appear to have gone to a total of 1 meeting at BP last year between them, the other just hasn't said whether he went at all! Says it all. We all love speedway enough to be on here but none of us have any interest on the product that's on our doorstep. IMO Its not just the track that needs altering though, the way the club is ran, top down, desperately needs changing.

I just feel so sorry for the Leicester fans.

After so long waiting for their own track , there is a lot of discontent amongst the fans themselves.... grateful to have Speedway back but disgruntled with the way things have panned out.

What is the latest news on the club obtaining a team sponsor for 2016? DH said previously they couldn't have another year like this year without a main sponsor & I thought this was what Neil Machin was brought in to assist in.

interestingly just having a group pm with 5 huge speedway fans from Leicester on BSF. I think out of those 5, 4 appear to have gone to a total of 1 meeting at BP last year between them, the other just hasn't said whether he went at all! Says it all. We all love speedway enough to be on here but none of us have any interest on the product that's on our doorstep. IMO Its not just the track that needs altering though, the way the club is ran, top down, desperately needs changing.

They cant be Lions fans once a year is no good for the promotion team!!

• Like 1

The promotion "team" should be trying to understand why so many Lions fans who still care deeply about the good name of the club and are proud of its history now feel so alienated from it, and what it can do to win back their attendance.

• Like 2

by producing the crap they do week in week out do you not mean the promotion team is no good for us Lions fans

Edited by volty
  • Like 3

You lot are starting to worry me now. Any more of this might just persuade the owners to call it a day then there will be no more speedway in Leicester because I doubt that anyone else will be putting their money where their mouths are.

I'm sure no one takes any notice of ramblings on a Speedway forum and the Lions will come to the tapes in the Elite League in March.

• Like 1

You lot are starting to worry me now. Any more of this might just persuade the owners to call it a day then there will be no more speedway in Leicester because I doubt that anyone else will be putting their money where their mouths are.

If the punters are not happy with the fare on offer they will not turn up.....catch 22.
  • Like 1

I know a few who don't go because of the standard of racing and me and my better half only went to a handful of meetings in 2015. That said, if it's true what they say, DH has some of the best attendances at a speedway track in the UK and so he must be doing something right. If people want to watch what's on offer, or if they don't, then that's up to them.

If, on the other hand, DH is worried about a drop in income due to a drop in the attendance, then he has to do something about it. The same goes for building a team in the top flight when you can't get top flight riders because of your race night. If he won't change then I don't think there's anything to be done except maybe a few souls with an appropriate bank balance to get together and make him an offer. That way, the track can be changed, along with the race night, and then maybe the new owners can show DH how it should be done as they watch the crowds double in size.

I think it's really frustrating to have the facility at BP, which is superb by most standards of speedway stadia, but we don't get the racing that we think we should. I watched a meeting from Torun last week and it was stunning. Loads of passing and re passing, three and four into a bend, even after two or three laps, and I thought we will never see that at BP. Such a shame. Changing the track shape might make the racing more exciting but there's no guarantee (Kings Lynn is supposedly the right shape but that can produce racing on par with BP) and due to the costs involved, with no guarantee of success, I think that's a drawback for him.

I think it will stay as it is unless DH wins the lottery, someone buys him out or something drastic happens to force his hand.

• Like 2

He has to do something and do it very fast, he has only a token hand full or should I say not even a half hanful of riders named for next seasons team, it is quite scary to even say who the other riders will be and will they be up to EL standard, because he they are not, then I am afraid the number of supporters will get less and less, if the team can't compete in the EL With what is now on offer and the money he seems to want to pay them he will be getting a team made up of NL riders because that is all he is willing to pay them.

Sorry but it is now time for some very big changes at BP before the sport again dies from Leicester. No if's no buts and it is not a dig at the management, but if it is to much to be aqble to run a teal, in any league and listen to what lots of people have said and are still saying, then it is time to go and let someone else take on that role and get the Lions to be a team that can get to the play off and even maybe win it, but again I think if they do come to be in the EL they will stuck at the bottom of the pile, maybe without even scoring a point next year, it is so sad after all that has been done just to let it slip away into oblivion.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Another problem at Leicester is the council if the club closes for any reason it will give the council the perfect opportunity not to give it permission to run as it is they make it very difficult for the club with red tape and silly policies. I mean how many other clubs have to give announcements to warn about flying shale and safety glasses are available from the track shop.

Once it closes it will be difficult for anybody to reopen it I have seen online that they are appealing for plumbers,Carpenters and electricians to go up to do some free volunteer work.

I don't get the comments at least we have speedway,it's better than no speedway.if we ever get our own track and the racing is like Leicesters I wonder how long it would be before the crowds started falling.I didn't enjoy it at brum last year and tbh if we were not back at monmore next year I don't reckon I would have gone to every meeting at pb.theres more to do these days so if the products not good there's plenty of other stuff to do with your money.ive been to Leicester a few times and enjoyed everything about it except the racing

• Like 1