British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Bridger and Kerr were confirmed on the link I saw earlier, with King down as TBC.

Honestly couldn't find the link again if I tried though..

Interesting inclusion of Lewis Bridger. This week's Speedway Star (in the 2015 'Winners and Losers' article) Bridger is quoted as telling all his '11,000 + Twitter followers in November 2015: 'I would need to be 100% sure its what I want (a return to racing) and right now its not!!'

I think it be wrong to name individuals for the reason of tracks closing. The truth being everyone is at fault and non more so then the people who run this sport of ours. Looking back over the years many tracks have folded because of the viability. Had the sport been a roaring success, than Promoters would have thought twice about closing a money source.

Blackbird Road always reminded me of the Firs at Norwich. Similar in presence and stature, brilliant track, a dream venue for any Promoter to run. But the biggest issue was, as time went by, the land it used became to valuable, and soon ridiculous offers were tabled for housing, that could not be ignored . Although it was a shame that Blackbird Rd closed, even worse was there has not been replaced until recently.

No, the new track doesn't compare with the old, but you have to hold your had up to the promoter, someone who has got off his a..e and tried to rekindle the presence Leicester once had......

But goodwill only goes so far............Beaumont Park has never been a Speedway track in the truest sense of the word and will always produce mediocre races and meetings.
  • Like 1

Interesting inclusion of Lewis Bridger. This week's Speedway Star (in the 2015 'Winners and Losers' article) Bridger is quoted as telling all his '11,000 + Twitter followers in November 2015: 'I would need to be 100% sure its what I want (a return to racing) and right now its not!!'

Didn't he also say he was going to be spannering for someone??

But goodwill only goes so far............Beaumont Park has never been a Speedway track in the truest sense of the word and will always produce mediocre races and meetings.

That's a bit harsh. All plans have to start somewhere. I've been to many tracks and can assure you, there has been some really poor ones. Some have big covered grandstands but a crap track, Others have terrible toilets, some you have to walk miles, while others you wait for hours to be served. You very seldom get the perfect place with no complaints. There might be a few teething problems at Leicester to sort but nothing that insurmountable. At least you fans have somewhere to go. Hackney, Hull and Halifax to name just 3 would like to have a track to support. Give it time and let it progress.

Who knows, if the sport is still going in say 20 yrs time, Beaumont Park might be one of the preferred tracks.

• Like 2

That's a bit harsh. All plans have to start somewhere. I've been to many tracks and can assure you, there has been some really poor ones. Some have big covered grandstands but a crap track, Others have terrible toilets, some you have to walk miles, while others you wait for hours to be served. You very seldom get the perfect place with no complaints. There might be a few teething problems at Leicester to sort but nothing that insurmountable. At least you fans have somewhere to go. Hackney, Hull and Halifax to name just 3 would like to have a track to support. Give it time and let it progress.

Who knows, if the sport is still going in say 20 yrs time, Beaumont Park might be one of the preferred tracks.

Well i look forward to my ashes being taken along there, gee cant wait

I suppose after attending Blackbird Road from the 1977season until it closed at the end of 83 I was spoilt by a fantastic track most of the time.

What is annoying is that this will be the 6th season and the track has never been good for passing-everybody knows that.

The fact is nobody has ever tried to remedy the track is in my opinion a shocking dereliction of responsibility by the owners...especially after 5 completed seasons of generally boring races.

I live in hope of things changing......but I won't be holding my breath.

Another big problem is the lack of putting a team together.............for every day and week that go by people's expectations of a successful season is being replaced by apathy and it can't be good for the selling of season tickets.

• Like 1

Not harsh at all. Not as harsh as taunting everyone who had a dream with the actual nightmare of the reality week on week for the last 5 years.

anyways, with a new year there is always fresh hope i guess. Hopefully this will be the year reality dawns!

Mick.

• Like 1

Didn't he also say he was going to be spannering for someone??

Not in the article - but I'm not on Twitter so not sure what he may have also told his 'followers'.

I suppose after attending Blackbird Road from the 1977season until it closed at the end of 83 I was spoilt by a fantastic track most of the time.

I am 'reliably' informed that that is very much not the case. BR could be as boring as the next.

What is annoying is that this will be the 6th season and the track has never been good for passing-everybody knows that.

The visiting riders have never had a problem

Not in the article - but I'm not on Twitter so not sure what he may have also told his 'followers'.

I've only read that speedway isn't being considered for 2016, racing presumably.

I am 'reliably' informed that that is very much not the case. BR could be as boring as the next.

I take it you never went personally........obviously not every meeting was fantastic but generally there would be good racing on a fair track......I would say I have never seen a match at Beaumont Park that has surpassed any match at Blackbird Road racing wise.

What do you mean visiting riders have never had a problem? If you are referring to passing I would very much doubt that visiting riders find it easy to pass at BP the same as the home riders.

Leicester Speedway....4 Riders......4 Laps.....No passing after 2nd bend 1st lap!.

Dont feed the troll Tina , I know the source/s of your reliable information , I would much rather take their word than argue with Leicesters joint biggest embarrasment

• Like 2

It certainly could be at times. Sometimes it had to be prepared so as toget ameeying on and completed.But that was well balanced by the opposite.

No trouble passing at BP for visitors? I raise you Craig Cook at his NL prime struggling for 3 laps to get past Alex Edberg in 2013 for one example!

Dont feed the troll Tina , I know the source/s of your reliable information , I would much rather take their word than argue with Leicesters joint biggest embarrasment

Who asked you!

You know nothing you halfwit especially about Speedway.

I don't mind being a joint embarrassment at Leicester but you "my friend" are the sole embarrassment at soon to be homeless Coventry ha ha.

I presume your lad has hung up his boots then.......what a pair of losers you are!

Edited by mrcts