British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

At this late stage I don't think a change of race night will help Leicester greatly as they have let the no1 urgently needed go to Swindon and Kings Lynn are in the same situation cannot get a top rider to commit to the UK.

The worry is with such an under strength team will the club complete the season as the crowds will soon start to drop even the loyal ones will drift away look what happened at Birmingham a couple of seasons a go exactly the same situation.

It's got to the stage where the club don't know where to go next with riders not interested and a handful of season tickets sold and another season with no main team sponsor looking likely

So the BSPA MUST DO something to help them, certainly not leave them to flounder, what good will that do. The BSOA have made a mistake in the rule setting this close season so put it right for those clubs in a predicament, that's how I see it anyways. I know some are saying they cannot change the rules to help these clubs but if it's a case of do it or lose clubs, there is only one way to go IMO!

At this late stage I don't think a change of race night will help Leicester greatly as they have let the no1 urgently needed go to Swindon and Kings Lynn are in the same situation cannot get a top rider to commit to the UK.

The worry is with such an under strength team will the club complete the season as the crowds will soon start to drop even the loyal ones will drift away look what happened at Birmingham a couple of seasons a go exactly the same situation.

It's got to the stage where the club don't know where to go next with riders not interested and a handful of season tickets sold and another season with no main team sponsor looking likely

What do you mean the club don't know where to go? The club, if the information you have provided is correct, in my opinion have been the architects of their own problems.

Doyle wasn't going to put with more mediocrity around him again, particularly as he has his eyes firmly on the GP prize. I accept the promoter may have had some verbal understanding with Doyle but hey people can change their mind. So what was Plan B or C in Doyle's absence?

The track, which is probably the main issue why there is no enthusiasm in Leicester, has been slated for several years by all and sundry and is, quite frankly, rubbish. I attended the meeting in which Charlie Gjedde was badly injured. There was no grip or passing. Quite why the tractor went round during the breaks in between heats God only knows. It has taken the stubborn promoter all these years to finally back down, accept he is wrong and make adjustments to the track.

Excitement and entertainment go hand in hand for everyone. If the Leicester public, feel the product they are being offered is poor, season ticket sales are slow and sponsors are not interested then the promoter needs to have a good look at what he has offered to them over this period and then do the maths himself.

• Like 2

TheBlueBoy- I fully agree most of the problems at Leicester return back to the promoter and his stubbornness to accept change and what is required to be in the Elite league.

He had a number of chances to keep Doyley and all he asked for as well as his money was not Sat night racing and a better team. But DH thought he knew best and dug his heels in like he had with the track work until recently. He also over estimates the fans in his mind he think 700-800 will turn up week in week out regardless of results

Sponsorship is the same has been done by volunteers and club over optimistic value of team sponsorship.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this but to me it seems the club are at cross roads pull out of the league lose your bond,reputation and be Forced to sell the club or do you confirm with sub standard team fans fade away and lose lots of money

Leicesters biggest problem is Saturday racing. Saturday does not work for most riders. If Elite league in 2017 is that all teams must race Thursday and teams don't or won't do it, then they have to change leagues. If Elite league goes down to 5 teams, so be it. But to have any chance of attracting the best, then a UK single race night is a must. If we are to have a strong Elite league then this is the only way to go. This year 5 SGP riders in Elite league. 2017 could be 1/2 if we don't go to a single race night. If that happens what's point of having an elite league.

......flagrag.......It's got to the stage where the club don't know where to go next with riders not interested and a handful of season tickets sold and another season with no main team sponsor looking likely....

It's going to be quite a small secret group then? :wink:

I'm wondering if DH was threatened with Dave Darcy pulling out if the track wasn't altered as he doesn't seem to be the type of person to ever back down about anything, least of all admitting he got the shape wrong by changing it.

So the BSPA MUST DO something to help them, certainly not leave them to flounder, what good will that do. The BSOA have made a mistake in the rule setting this close season so put it right for those clubs in a predicament, that's how I see it anyways. I know some are saying they cannot change the rules to help these clubs but if it's a case of do it or lose clubs, there is only one way to go IMO!

Don't hold your breath if your promotion is not part of the Clique , Then you'll more likely get a kick in the teeth from the Bspa than any help or indeed sympathy . Their past track record reads like that of a petulant schoolkid and I have seen nothing in recent times that makes me think anything has changed

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

Don't hold your breath if your promotion is not part of the Clique , Then you'll more likely get a kick in the teeth from the Bspa than any help or indeed sympathy . Their past track record reads like that of a petulant schoolkid and I have seen nothing in recent times that makes me think anything has changed

Its not in the clique. And would the clique be sorry to see Leicester go? It's a different situation to when Birmingham exited 2 years ago - 10 teams down to 9 whereas now it would be 8 teams down to 7, but it would potentially make a few riders available (not heat leaders of course) but i bet that KL would happily snap up Auty, and maybe Cov wud have Walasek without much hesitation.

BIGAL- The bigger problem for other clubs would be two less matches for them to stage and make money on also I am sure their season ticket holders will want something as getting less than they thought.

This could and must stress Could be the final straw that finishes the Sky TV deal as well it's now quite an open thing that Sky have considered their options already this winter but decided to continue with a late withdrawal who knows.

I really hope that it does not come to this and that the club and BSPA can sort something out but as the weeks go by the more desperate it looks

BIGAL- The bigger problem for other clubs would be two less matches for them to stage and make money on also I am sure their season ticket holders will want something as getting less than they thought.

This could and must stress Could be the final straw that finishes the Sky TV deal as well it's now quite an open thing that Sky have considered their options already this winter but decided to continue with a late withdrawal who knows.

I really hope that it does not come to this and that the club and BSPA can sort something out but as the weeks go by the more desperate it looks

Have you been listening to Havvy - infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infamy! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

But what could the Bspa/other promoters actually DO to help?

Force riders at gunpoint to sign and ride for Leicester?

It's hard to think of anything which would resolve the predicament. Even if Leicester were to do something like change race night, it sounds unlikely it would be of much use now, the horses have bolted. This is looking desperate now.

What do you mean the club don't know where to go? The club, if the information you have provided is correct, in my opinion have been the architects of their own problems.

Doyle wasn't going to put with more mediocrity around him again, particularly as he has his eyes firmly on the GP prize. I accept the promoter may have had some verbal understanding with Doyle but hey people can change their mind. So what was Plan B or C in Doyle's absence?

The track, which is probably the main issue why there is no enthusiasm in Leicester, has been slated for several years by all and sundry and is, quite frankly, rubbish. I attended the meeting in which Charlie Gjedde was badly injured. There was no grip or passing. Quite why the tractor went round during the breaks in between heats God only knows. It has taken the stubborn promoter all these years to finally back down, accept he is wrong and make adjustments to the track.

Excitement and entertainment go hand in hand for everyone. If the Leicester public, feel the product they are being offered is poor, season ticket sales are slow and sponsors are not interested then the promoter needs to have a good look at what he has offered to them over this period and then do the maths himself.

Doyle would have stayed if the Lions moved their race night from Saturday to (say) Wed Thurs or Friday & he would have been happy to support Lions team building plans - the concept of mediocrity and not having a winning team was not an issue with him. As for moving from Saturday night, we need to remember that the Lions reentered British speedway as a PL Saturday night track which was more than not an ideal situation. The move to EL challenged that concept but...the correct questions to ask are"what alternatives were available?" and "were the Lions given a choice?" I believe the answers are "None" & "no" Meanwhile the promotion completed two seasons, the first no doubt a learning one the second blighted by injuries and resignations. Sure DH has stuck by his guns for Saturday night but given the circumstances I don't think he should be castigated for doing so and remember he is the ultimate loser or beneficiary of such decisions. Next year (2017) things will change, it wont be too late, but it would be good if before then the BSPA did allow the Lions to race on a Friday because even at this late stage this would provide a helping hand for the Lions to sign riders even on a temporary basis giving them time to finalise full time additions if required...sorry Coventry, but think of the big picture and the overall well being of the sport rather than your own short term agenda.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

Next year (2017) things will change, it wont be too late, but it would be good if before then the BSPA did allow the Lions to race on a Friday because even at this late stage this would provide a helping hand for the Lions to sign riders even on a temporary basis giving them time to finalise full time additions if required...sorry Coventry, but think of the big picture and the overall well being of the sport rather than your own short term agenda.

Would racing on Friday's really have made that much difference to someone like Doyle for instance? Although Chris Harris has often given up the GP practice to ride for the Bees I doubt if many riders would be willing to do this. So what top rider/s do you think would sign for the Lions this season if they changed to Friday's?

Would racing on Friday's really have made that much difference to someone like Doyle for instance? Although Chris Harris has often given up the GP practice to ride for the Bees I doubt if many riders would be willing to do this. So what top rider/s do you think would sign for the Lions this season if they changed to Friday's?

Isn't the Polish league the bigger overall problem for Leicester - and this isn't a factor for Fridays? Arn't Friday/GP clashes generally avoided in the fixtures planning? So I'd say yes, Fridays would probably have been OK for Jason especially with him being UK-based.

Isn't the Polish league the bigger overall problem for Leicester - and this isn't a factor for Fridays? Arn't Friday/GP clashes generally avoided in the fixtures planning? So I'd say yes, Fridays would probably have been OK for Jason especially with him being UK-based.

7 Polish top flight matches scheduled for Friday`s in 2016 ( 1 per week )-a big increase on 2015

Edited by racers and royals