British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

stand off or not. I cant believe clubs would say they are not able to ride Saturdays (which appears reasonable and realistic considering Lions cant find a full team for Saturdays themselves) without providing an alternative solution. So Mondays, Wednesday Thursday or Friday...take your pick - Obviously Friday would suit DH the best because of his thought that a no school day/next day adds to the attendance. And then we get back to the beginning..Coventry will not allow Lions to ride on Fridays as their regular race night. Which again confirms that whilst individual promoters insist on thinking about themselves first, there is little future for the healthy growth of the sport....or even long term survival. When will they ever realize that battles between clubs should be fought out on the track, not in the meeting room!

If I were DH I would not allow Coventry to use the Leicester track when they are evicted from Brandon.......hey presto Leicester runs on a Friday........WinWin situation.

Sorry I should have explained better there is a number of riders who have said that they don't want to be at Leicester on Saturdays if it can be avoided but there is two riders who told their respective clubs months ago before they signed that Saturday wasn't an option

So - evenly matched teams (on Saturdays) for BP matches, and regular thrashings away. Not good for the quality of the league, as if it needed further reduction.

Doesn't look like there's a lot of choice for the Elite League than to accept this.

Swindon the other! (Possibly)

Yes, I would imagine Jason Doyle wouldn't be too keen.

rmcts.....If I were DH I would not allow Coventry to use the Leicester track when they are evicted from Brandon.......hey presto Leicester runs on a Friday........WinWin situation.

Who says they want to? It was only an idea put forward by DH himself I believe. And where has it been officially said that Coventry would object to Leicester riding on Friday's? All I've ever seen is supposition on here which means nothing. Personally I think it would be a bad idea for them to both ride on the same night as quite a lot of fans go to Coventry as well as Leicester so their support would be lost.

Edited by Gemini

Belle Vue have home matches against Coventry and Lakeside on Saturdays so, as King's Lynn haven't yet got a No. 1, that seems only to leave Swindon, Poole or Wolves as the possible teams with the reluctant two No.1's. Assuming of course that there is some truth in this rumourthat Saturday isn't an option for a couple of riders.

Edited by Aces51

Were Leicester told at the AGM that they had to change race night for the 2016 season?? Were ALL EL teams told not to arrange ANY League fixtures on Saturdays??

If not, the AGM should/could not have actually have surely ended??

This all smells a bit fishy to me... If Leicester were told NOT to arrange EL fixtures on Saturdays, then they should not have been included in the 2016 Elite League, and been offered a place in the PL. But if any other EL teams arranged Saturday fixtures, well, that would show just how corrupt the BSPA are...

Edited by Shale Searcher

Shale Searcher........Why would Leicester not be allowed to arrange EL fixtures on a Saturday when other teams are allowed to do so that don't normally race on Saturdays and i've got a good idea who the two riders are if its only two and i would imagine they are both Australians but if they were told before they signed their contracts for the forthcoming season that they would have to ride in some Saturday fixtures where does that team stand if they refuse to ride surely a fine at the very least or points docked

I don't know how its Coventry's fault as it seems obvious Leicester are being difficult and want to keep to Saturday night. For me IF Leicester did want to change to Friday id say let them as Coventry have probably one season left anyway.

You can see why Leicester are insisting on Saturdays, it'll make the other sides weaker so would give a poor Leicester side a bit more of a chance.

Edited by woz01

Saturday nights are no good for our league whilst Poland are top of the pile, our promoters are daft to even go there, how stupid of them!!

Belle Vue have home matches against Coventry and Lakeside on Saturdays so, as King's Lynn haven't yet got a No. 1, that seems only to leave Swindon, Poole or Wolves as the possible teams with the reluctant two No.1's. Assuming of course that there is some truth in this rumourthat Saturday isn't an option for a couple of riders.

I read this week about a footballer who was apprentice at a club , decided he didnt like it and quit after 18 months , he then decided he did want to be a footballer but with another club ,and is now being prevented from doing so until a significant fee is paid in compensation to the club who initially trained him because he had, had to sign a compensation clause in his contract ,as all players do when starting out ..I think it's time speedway did the same with non EU riders , Not only would it put some much needed cash into the coffers when the likes of Hancock, Crump Woffinden decide to turn their backs after training in the UK ,but it may also enforce a little loyalty from those who still want to milk British Speedway at their and Polands convenience .

• Like 1

Not too sure that Fridays will be a long term option either, with the top Polish league arranging some (upto 7 I think) league fixtures on Fridays this season?!!!!

DH should ask to rejoin the premier league , I bet that would sharpen a few reflexes

Not too sure that Fridays will be a long term option either, with the top Polish league arranging some (upto 7 I think) league fixtures on Fridays this season?!!!!

What's that all about, do they think they will get better crowds on Fridays or do they want Speedway under floodlights?

Would a compromise be running on Saturdays but with a 3pm start time?

I know there are issues with racing in the daytime e.g. keeping moisture in the track, but if it meant the top riders had more time to get to their flights to Poland, it might work for one season.

The sun would be higher so no breaks while it dropped below the fence, more time for junior racing after the meeting.