British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Saturday should be the race night for a family sport.

If it means no GP riders then that's the way forward.

I agree that some people will not bring children to speedway for mid week meetings. but some will. Saturday nights are not the be all and end all answer for attending anything on a regular basis because there are/is other weekend activities which impinge on that concept .

Next year EL will be run purely during mid week & once established, a regular mid week race night for the Lions will not be so detrimental as some (DH) fear. in times past Tuesday served the Lions well and although that would not work now thanks to Swedish fixtures, a Thursday or Friday race night would by removing the "Poland problem" and provide the promotion the opportunity of attracting better riders to create a more competitive team which would attract the much needed additional support.

The lack of a successful team has the largest detrimental effect on attendances whilst a winning team would attract a much larger following no matter what the race night. Success breeds success - success on the track will bring success at the turnstile

Summary for the Lions 2017 - 1. Stay in EL. 2 race Thursday or Friday. 3 attract (some) better riders & be more competitive. 4.Attract bigger crowds. 5.go from strength to strength.

• Like 1

Saturday should be the race night for a family sport.

If it means no GP riders then that's the way forward.

How many kids go to speedway? From what I can see you can count them on a few hands.

Most spectators are middle-aged and above!

How many kids go to speedway? From what I can see you can count them on a few hands.

That is so true, most youngsters would rather sit at home playing games on the phone or pc.

• Like 1

There were loads at Swindon yesterday.

• Like 1

There are quite a few children who support the Lions and they have done since the club started up again, to lose them now, then you are losing the fans of the future, If they raced on a Friday then there would not be a problem other than Coventry also race on a Friday. My grandson comes to the Lions with me and it would be a no,no if they raced mid week as it would be far to late by the time we got home. It is usually after 11.30pm by the time we get back, and for a 10 year old to get up for scholl the next morning, it is not the best way for him to stay awake at school.

There are a lot of family members who bring along son's and daughters. We should be looking after these kids, because in 10 years time it will be them that stand here with thier wives or girlfriends, with a new generation of Lions fans to come.

Lets think about the future of the sport. It is time we stopped bowing and scraping to Poland and Sweden.

So be it if we have to run British speedeway with Brititish riders, I would rather see that than the rubish they have dished up this year and they still dare to call it Elite.

• Like 2

Nail on the head there. If Leicester plan to continue running Saturday nights they need to start thinking about targets for next season now. Ignore the so called big names / has beens that ride in Poland and look at a more home grown side.

2 x decent EDR's like this year. 2 double uppers who ride the track well e.g Garrity, Summers, Masters then look for EL only riders like Nicholls or Morris then add a Swede/Dane if required?

Build strength in depth rather than being obsessed with a "big name" and start to build the relationships between riders and fans so they have a team to back rather than ask "who?" or "where is.....?"

If they raced on a Friday then there would not be a problem other than Coventry also race on a Friday.

Lets think about the future of the sport. It is time we stopped bowing and scraping to Poland and Sweden.

So be it if we have to run British speedeway with Brititish riders, I would rather see that than the rubish they have dished up this year and they still dare to call it Elite.

Well if the Lions are in the El next year, Race night is going to something other than Sat or Sun so you may get your wish for a Friday but somehow I think it will be Thursday.

However, if you want to see all British rider teams then to overcome the Eu restraint of trade laws you need to vote for Brexit. although no problem in keeping the Aussies out.

Cant help but think good job such rules were not in place during the Blackbird Road days . just think - No Boulger, Michanek, Terroma, Titman, to name a but a few home riders, never mind the likes of Briggs, Moore, Major, Olsen, Penhall, Nielsen and Gundersen for the visitors.

Surely, rather than devising a plan to keep the best riders away from the UK it would be preferable to plan to make the UK the best place to see speedway that attracts the best riders and provides the means for British talent to make progress. After all, when the best overseas riders were here in the UK it didn't stop the likes of Boocock, Wilson, Collins, Lee & Loram making their mark on the world stage did it.

Edited by 1 valve

...........1 Valve...................... Thursday or Friday race night would by removing the "Poland problem" and provide the promotion the opportunity of attracting better riders to create a more competitive team which would attract the much needed additional support.

Unfortunately the 'Poland problem' probably wouldn't go away as they seem to be using Friday's as well now. :neutral:

That is so true, most youngsters would rather sit at home playing games on the phone or pc.

That tells you a story as to how things have changed in the last 30- 40 years..

That tells you a story as to how things have changed in the last 30- 40 years..

Good lord, something we agree on. lol

Good lord, something we agree on. lol

It happens.. ;)

Summary for the Lions 2017 - 1. Stay in EL. 2 race Thursday or Friday. 3 attract (some) better riders & be more competitive. 4.Attract bigger crowds. 5.go from strength to strength.

Couldnt agree more. Continued to race on a Saturday this year (and limited the options for team building) so as not to reduce the crowds. Seen an alarming drop in the crowd as the team isnt competitive enough. If there is fixed race nights next year (and we're still in the elite league), I assume more riders will be made available. If we can keep the core of this team and add two heat leaders from the potential influx of riders (and I stress potential!!) we'd have a competitive team.

For the first time in my life, Ive struggled to get Leicester City tickets this season- success will draw the crowd. Entertainment will draw the crowds.

A team that lines up something like:

1. Smolinski (has said he'd return to England with fixed race nights)

2. Klindt (knows the track, knows the fans, will probably have a low average, goes reasonably well at home)

3. Houggard (has impressed me this year. Not a number 1 but has shown he could be a strong third heat leader)

4. Wozniak (provided his polish clubs allow it, exciting, quick, learning, full of potential, loved by the fans)

5. A gp rider possibly? Someone who might return? Janowski? Zmarzlik? Pawlicki?

6. Auty (our fast track rider of the past 2 years, scores well, exciting, trier- will he still be in the draft next year?)

7. Starke (be impressed if we could keep him, been quality for us this year.. be surprised if he wanted to come back though)

That team would probably fit within the averages. Keeps a core of Lions riders that know the track and do their job well. Adds strength and experience. A lot depends on the riders that make themselves available to ride in the UK next year and who everyone else gets, because the Lions do seem to get what no one else wants

• Like 1

Personally I think David and Yulia Hemsley have done a fine job in bring speedway back to Leicester.

The stadium is very good and shows what can be done when building a facility for the sport from scratch ( albeit with a slightly less than perfect track).

Unlike some other people here who think David lacks business acumen or is just plain stupid I think the club is well run.

The only thing I think you can accuse him of is a bit of over ambition and a maybe being a little stubborn.

As is patently clear you cannot run a successful EL speedway team with a Saturday race night (Eastbourne). However David has said that switching to a mid-week slot doesn't work as there is a significant drop off in attendance. Surely the best option then is a return to the Premier League where he can retain the Saturday night slot and with better rider availability in that league he can build a competitive team again and present a better racing experience.

I'd never criticise him for wanting to compete in the EL as I imagine it was always his ultimate aim when resurecting the club but it hasn't worked out so cut your losses and return to a model that works and most importantly the sport is retained in the city and the track continues to operate.

I'm a Swindon fan and intend going to Beaumont Park next Saturday and I wish the Lions all the best for the rest of the season.

This whole post , especailly the bit where you make claims that David Hemsley resurrected Leicester speedway . shows how little you know about David And Yulia Hemsley , or the resurrection of Leicester speedway ,

• Like 1

This whole post , especailly the bit where you make claims that David Hemsley resurrected Leicester speedway . shows how little you know about David And Yulia Hemsley , or the resurrection of Leicester speedway ,

I'm interested, please expand.

I'm interested, please expand.

To actually explain would take far too long , there is such a back catalogue of stuff that people either dont know or have conveniently forgotten . my post to gresham 78 is merely tipping my hat to the people who put in all the hard graft over 28 years to bring Leicester back some of whom are no longer with us and most are no longer part of Leicester speedway

• Like 1