British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2016

The statement isn't just about Cradley.

The statement clearly states Wolverhampton Speedway will be running on alternate Mondays.

The very fact that Wolves fans are questioning it is reason enough for a statement to have been issued.

The lack of one simply treats supporters with contempt and the attitude of "Why should we put a statement out" just fuels that.

Although the number of meetings won't change, fortnightly speedway is something a number of fans have been very vocally against... now it is here.

From the perspective of alternate Mondays I'd imagine a statement is imminent.

I agree it's been a talking point for some for a while however we hardly have weekly speedway as it is so it's just the usual posturing by some .

My only slight concern is if there are extra Mondays to be slotted in due to bad weather etc but so long as it's clear wolves have priority it shouldn't be an issue. So I'd hope any statement assures us of that.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but Wolves 14 home EL fixtures in 2015 weren't all in the first 3 months of the season were they??

In which case there would/will be loads of spare Mondays!!

The statement isn't just about Cradley.

The statement clearly states Wolverhampton Speedway will be running on alternate Mondays.

The very fact that Wolves fans are questioning it is reason enough for a statement to have been issued.

The lack of one simply treats supporters with contempt and the attitude of "Why should we put a statement out" just fuels that.

Although the number of meetings won't change, fortnightly speedway is something a number of fans have been very vocally against... now it is here.

Great post BW.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but Wolves 14 home EL fixtures in 2015 weren't all in the first 3 months of the season were they??

Correct, most won't grasp that however and will view fortnightly speedway as a bad thing, as we are already seeing on here and on other social media forums.

The promotion were very naïve to not think that would be the case.

What they should have done, at the same time as the Cradley announcement was put out a statement explaining the situation.... maybe even put a bit of spin on it.

Leaving it as it is has one result, negative publicity.

• Like 2

At least there won't be two meetings a week, meaning the track won't be overused.

However, with Belle Vue moving to Fridays, it leaves us sticking out like a sore thumb on Mondays.

In some ways you have to credit CVS.

He's found a way to make the TNT plan work!

Had he run Elite League one week with Wolves and a Wolves NL or even PL team the next week.. the crowd for the lower league would have been awful.

However, simply call it Cradley and as we have seen the Heathens come out en masse.

The landlords are kept happy as extra meetings, on the night they want them on and the books are nicely balanced with the money made from Cradley.

Next season Wolves will have probably have a minimum of 16 fixtures ( 14 league, 1 olympique, 1 British final )

Next year if league / regulations stay the same Cradley will have a minimum 12 fixtures (9 league , 1 KOC, 1 Gold cup,1 Golden Hammer )

I say minimum as Cradley had 2 additional KOC matches plus 1 gold cup plus an additional challenge match.

This is also on the likeliness that Wolves don't make the play offs.

Add in an average of 3 rain offs and you are looking at a minimum 31-32 available Monday nights

2nd week of March to the end of October is around 30 weeks so I reckon they are short of Mondays before the season starts.

Although not wanting to see the Heathens close I'm not happy about it bringing fortnightly speedway, 1 rain off could be a month without a meeting people are still going to be reluctant to attend if its an iffy night weather wise or on the TV.the way crowds have been last year fortnightly speedway could be the death-knell.

• Like 2

Does make you think Why didn't Wolves look at entering the National League in the past with so fee Elite League fixtures.

Cradley will now track a team of Max Clegg and Matt Williamson but if it was Premier League they could have added Kyle Howarth and Ashley Morris along with club assets like Ricky Wells and Nicolai Klindt

Had this have been a Wolves team each week in different competitions it could have worked but this way Cradley get a home track and a year to get ready for the Premier League in 2017

Does make you think Why didn't Wolves look at entering the National League in the past with so fee Elite League fixtures.

Cradley will now track a team of Max Clegg and Matt Williamson but if it was Premier League they could have added Kyle Howarth and Ashley Morris along with club assets like Ricky Wells and Nicolai Klindt

Had this have been a Wolves team each week in different competitions it could have worked but this way Cradley get a home track and a year to get ready for the Premier League in 2017

You've got this completely backwards.

The ONLY way this could work is this way as it is two totally separate fan bases.

Wolves running a NL team on alternate weeks to the EL team? You'd get about 100 there.

One way it would work out far better is Wolves and Cradley both in the EL, Cradley have the crowds to sustain it, and the derby clashes, the place would be rammed.

However, they're not going to give up the cash cow that is NL racing with the Wolves reserve team.. cough.. sorry, I mean Cradley.

• Like 2

So we finally have a statement , strange he was planning once a fortnight before the teaspoons deal was finalised but they announce it. As for challenges and fixture fillers quite honestly the Gary Petersen Memorial meeting became a shocking embarrassment in terms of the line up no wonder he was loosing money on it. With the majority of the top riders electing to give the UK a miss bring back the KOC , clubs couldn't make it pay because riders couldn't be arsed so why should fans pay to see a select team.

I for 1 am not pleased there will be speedway every Monday at Monmore as I am a Wolves Fan not a spoon I want to see Wolves each week.

Edited by shadowfax
  • Like 2

I first went to Monmore Green at the back end of 1967, and as a Wolves fan, have been used to weekly meetings, be it Friday or Monday, since then. For me, I am disgusted with the move and have no wish to share our race night. As has already been pointed out, a rain off would mean a month between meetings. In accommodating Cradley CVS is risking the Wolves fan base. As he is involved with the 'Cradley' promotion he is thinking with his pocket and not his head. A disaster in the making and CVS will only have himself to blame. Fans might well find something else regular to do on a Monday night.There also seems to be a very strong correlation between the time that Cradley have been at Wolves and the lack of sucess Wolves have had. Eye off the ball syndrome ? Reverse the situation and imagine Wolves racing alternate Saturdays at Dudley Wood, would that have been allowed to happen ? Never in a milion years!

Perhaps the Spoons should be renamed the Cradley Cuckoos.

Edited by Beowulf
  • Like 1

Did I miss something in 2015? Did Wolves run every week on a Monday from March 15 to October 31?

• Like 1

Did I miss something in 2015? Did Wolves run every week on a Monday from March 15 to October 31?

No, but obviously we still had consecutive Monday meetings, now that option is no longer available to us.

Edited by Beowulf
  • Like 4