British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2016

Interesting they announced the remaining 2 riders the week after the talk in, what a surprise. Coincidence or to head off at the pass an avalanche of embarrassing why no PK questions? If, as seems a popular opinion on here, it's about money, it would have been interesting to watch CVS try to spin his way out of it because, as is usual, he wouldn't admit the truth.

I know which one my money's on and it ain't coincidence. Maybe I'm just a cynical old sod but it's pretty certain Masters & Thorssell were signed prior to the talk in but they were told there's an embargo on the news until after last tuesday. The announcement has been left for a week because to announce it earlier would have been too obvious.

• Like 3

:lol:

Interesting they announced the remaining 2 riders the week after the talk in, what a surprise. Coincidence or to head off at the pass an avalanche of embarrassing why no PK questions? If, as seems a popular opinion on here, it's about money, it would have been interesting to watch CVS try to spin his way out of it because, as is usual, he wouldn't admit the truth.

I know which one my money's on and it ain't coincidence. Maybe I'm just a cynical old sod but it's pretty certain Masters & Thorssell were signed prior to the talk in but they were told there's an embargo on the news until after last tuesday. The announcement has been left for a week because to announce it earlier would have been too obvious.

Totally agree with all that.

PS.****** I remember your fall out and consequent boycott of Wolves meetings.But dont remember what it was about(or is it secret). :neutral:

Still not 'gobsmacked' by the news to be honest. Feels like expecting a brand new Ferrari only to be lumbered with a Mini Metro instead.

Awaiting the correction to the press release saying they've made a mistake and we've signed Steve Masters instead of Sam.

• Like 1

Thorsell has a higher average than Lindgren, 6.18 compared to 6.11.

does this mean that Lindgren will be starting the season at number 2 or 4 ?

Yes he will. The rider from the "heat leader list" don't have to ride as heat leaders. Hans will almost certainly be the same for Poole

Thorsell has a higher average than Lindgren, 6.18 compared to 6.11.

does this mean that Lindgren will be starting the season at number 2 or 4 ?

already announced that Freddie will start as a second string.

There were lots of questions about PK 2 weeks ago. And it was confirmed he wasn't ultra keen and only in the back up plan which he seemed happy about.

Whether those 2 were already signed we will never know , however Jacob had changed his avatar twice the night before the announcement to him racing in wolves colours so I gathered plan A was on!

It's always about the money PK is the consummate professional and the term of not being "ultra keen " to return is spurious to say the least ,I am under the impression he would have come as a second string ,maybe his scoring power in this position was too expensive 20 out 21 at Coventry last season if my memory serves me correctly .

• Like 2

It's always about the money PK is the consummate professional and the term of not being "ultra keen " to return is spurious to say the least ,I am under the impression he would have come as a second string ,maybe his scoring power in this position was too expensive 20 out 21 at Coventry last season if my memory serves me correctly .

Correct. But then scored 3 or 4 in the B fixture.

Correct. But then scored 3 or 4 in the B fixture.

Wasn't that when he was riding at number 1 to give Freddie a break?

He was signed as a second string but because the rest of the team rode poorly he ended up being a heat leader - and by Peter Adams admission took one for the team by riding at number one to give Freddie a break from there.

Wolfie

• Like 5

Wasn't that when he was riding at number 1 to give Freddie a break?

He was signed as a second string but because the rest of the team rode poorly he ended up being a heat leader - and by Peter Adams admission took one for the team by riding at number one to give Freddie a break from there.

Wolfie

Correct.

It seems PK has 'taken one for the team' over and over. I've lost count the amount of times he's been the one left out of sides. As one of the clubs most loyal servants in its history he has been treated very poorly.

• Like 5

Correct.

It seems PK has 'taken one for the team' over and over. I've lost count the amount of times he's been the one left out of sides. As one of the clubs most loyal servants in its history he has been treated very poorly.

Absolutely true but the inescapable fact is that he is not getting any younger, plus the fact that breaking his back at KL in 2013 is a massive injury even for a much younger man to overcome. I agree he keeps himself in good shape and has forgotten more about the sport than many will ever know, but signing him woukd be a gamble. I have watched several times the meeting when he came to Lakeside with Wolves in 2010 or 11 and scored a maximum and some of his great meetings in Lakeside colours and what was amazing in those matches was his sharpness away from the tapes. I really think these days thst sharpness has largely gone. Much I am a great admirer of the man I think Wolves are doing the right thing in going for someone younger. Time will tell.

Absolutely true but the inescapable fact is that he is not getting any younger, plus the fact that breaking his back at KL in 2013 is a massive injury even for a much younger man to overcome. I agree he keeps himself in good shape and has forgotten more about the sport than many will ever know, but signing him woukd be a gamble. I have watched several times the meeting when he came to Lakeside with Wolves in 2010 or 11 and scored a maximum and some of his great meetings in Lakeside colours and what was amazing in those matches was his sharpness away from the tapes. I really think these days thst sharpness has largely gone. Much I am a great admirer of the man I think Wolves are doing the right thing in going for someone younger. Time will tell.

Still think he would be the best s/string in the league IMO

• Like 4

IMO what should have happened is we should have signed the best 2nd string in the EL and made it public that this, come what may, (and if that was what he wanted) would be PK's last hurrah in Wolves colours then everyone could move on in 2017. As it's turned out he will now loom over Wolves next season, every time Thorssell doesn't come up to expectations it'll be 'If that would have been PK that wouldn't have happened' etc etc. They've made a rod for their, and Jacob's, collective backs. As I've said before, God help them if he signs for someone else and produces.

Until and unless he does sign elsewhere, Thorssell has his own Swedish Sword of Damocles hanging over him.

• Like 3

Peter Karlsson would be the ideal choice if you had 5.55 left and it was 2006 but he is now at the age where he looks to be settling down to a regular race schedule in Sweden and Poland only but may come to Britain if required for a period of time.

Can see the reasoning in signing who they have but can't see this team matching the strengths of Poole and Belle Vue and Swindon look like they will also be strong with two good riders backing up the clear top rider in the league.

Coventry have a good top two if they can get the Kasprzak of old and Woryna can settle down with Garrity likley to challenge for a heat leader role.

Wolves could surprise a few but to do that Lindgren needs to be back towards the scoring that made him the leagues number one rider three times and Thorssell can start scoring away.

Still think he would be the best s/string in the league IMO

Totally agree 100 %.He is still quality.

In some respects i hope he signs for someone else,scores big and rubs cvs and adams noses in it for for penny pinching.If you want the best expect to pay for it cause you know exactly what you get with the Legend himself. 100% commitment to the Wolves. Asams and Cvs don't deserve such commitment and loyalty.

• Like 5

Totally agree 100 %.He is still quality.

In some respects i hope he signs for someone else,scores big and rubs cvs and adams noses in it for for penny pinching.If you want the best expect to pay for it cause you know exactly what you get with the Legend himself. 100% commitment to the Wolves. Asams and Cvs don't deserve such commitment and loyalty.

If there is one thing that you can accuse CVS and Adams of, that is being too loyal in the past, not making changes! Peter Karlsson is an all time legend and is in my all time top 7 (fan since 1967) and I have huge respect for the rider and the man. However for next season the choice of Thorsell/Masters or Karlsson is for me 50/50 and not clear cut, I can see both sides of the argument.

• Like 5