British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2016

Isn't Wednesday Denmark's race night? Personally I think 'most' riders are quite happy with things how they are ~ it's just the mistaken belief that all the GP/star riders will come rushing back if we rode on one set night. Thursday was a disaster for Coventry when they tried it, although coming bottom of the league that year didn't help.

Not necessarily. A large chunk of supporters would be happy to see their team riding Friday/Saturday/Sunday with riders of a similar class. Fans were still leaving in their droves when the so called top riders were here.

All the Cardiff GP proves is that it is a once yearly event that people are happy to attend. Yes, to watch the 'top boys' but mostly as a social occasion to meet up with friends they only see once a season.

Wednesdays appear irrelevant even to the Danish riders as the likes of Iversen, Bjerre, Porsing ride Wednesdays here.

I agree a lot of supporters want regular speedway and those appear to be happy with any standard. Speedway needs that regularity no matter what country or league you are in.

However the chunk of supporters who are dwindling are those that want a strong top flight.

That chunk will be virtually lost other than the World Cup and Cardiff which is the point I'm making.

The demand is still there as Cardiff proves.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Speedway, full stop and watch all levels including riding at amateur level. That won't stop even if the EL is no more.

That said I will become a casual supporter like so many before me.

Plus of course we will lose any credibility as a sport by having no top level league.

Same for any sport. Take away the Premier league Football league and the sport would lose any credibility and a massive chunk of it's support.

You could possibly still have a meeting on a Monday on Sky but still have a regular race night for the league. Sky seem to be happy to have Poole home meetings on a Wednesday, cant see why that cant happen for all? Sky will no doubt be looking to fill midweek with other sports now they haven't got the Champions League coverage.

you can't have a meeting on a Monday to suit SKY unless Monday is one of the fixed nights which id imagine is a big possibility. Otherwise it would be a 3 day league which appears it has already been agreed 2 days are happening next year.

SKY certainly have run some Tuesdays and Wednesdays but it appears Monday is the night that suits them best. Mess with that at your peril I say.

We need SKY.

• Like 1

Wednesdays appear irrelevant even to the Danish riders as the likes of Iversen, Bjerre, Porsing ride Wednesdays here.

I agree a lot of supporters want regular speedway and those appear to be happy with any standard. Speedway needs that regularity no matter what country or league you are in.

However the chunk of supporters who are dwindling are those that want a strong top flight.

That chunk will be virtually lost other than the World Cup and Cardiff which is the point I'm making.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Speedway, full stop and watch all levels including riding at amateur level. That won't stop even if the EL is no more.

Plus of course we will lose any credibility as a sport by having no top level league.

Same for any sport. Take away the Premier league Football league and the sport would lose any credibility and a massive chunk of it's support.

you can't have a meeting on a Monday to suit SKY unless Monday is one of the fixed nights which id imagine is a big possibility. Otherwise it would be a 3 day league which appears it has already been agreed 2 days are happening next year.

SKY certainly have run some Tuesdays and Wednesdays but it appears Monday is the night that suits them best. Mess with that at your peril I say.

We need SKY.

Why ?

Those commenting on sky not wanting to days other than Monday must have forgot that last year we didn't have regular Monday speedway on sky. There were some Tuesday & Wednesday fixtures.

• Like 1

Why ?

why not???

Those commenting on sky not wanting to days other than Monday must have forgot that last year we didn't have regular Monday speedway on sky. There were some Tuesday & Wednesday fixtures.

How many??

Some not many.

We need SKY.

Of course you can have a fixture on a Monday to suit Sky, they have a contract! As I said previously we have been getting more meetings on a Wednesday and id expect that to continue now they need fillers due to losing the CL.

But isn't this why Buster Chapman has changed Kings Lynn's race-night from Wednesday to Thursday for the 2016 season?

I would've thought that KL moving to a Thursday is an indication of one of the BEL's future 'fixed' race-nights. which then puts the futures of Ipswich, Redcar and Sheffield under some question.

• Like 1

macca56, on 04 Jan 2016 - 2:39 PM, said:

But isn't this why Buster Chapman has changed Kings Lynn's race-night from Wednesday to Thursday for the 2016 season?

I would've thought that KL moving to a Thursday is an indication of one of the BEL's future 'fixed' race-nights. which then puts the futures of Ipswich, Redcar and Sheffield under some question.

Perhaps there will be a Thursday night League & a Friday night league ! Our Clubs will have to fall into one or the other to make the paymasters at Sky happy .It would be a bit strange Sky putting Speedway up against Premier League Darts on a Thursday though .

Of course you can have a fixture on a Monday to suit Sky, they have a contract! As I said previously we have been getting more meetings on a Wednesday and id expect that to continue now they need fillers due to losing the CL.

more on a Wednesday??? I can recall 2 or 3. Hardly constitutes more.

Who knows what the reason for the Stars changing their race night it certainly was rumoured of if being to suit one rider.

Yet the stars run Wednesdays with Danes in their side for how long now??

I'd imagine Mondays and Wednesday or Thursday being the likeliest IMHO.

no way on earth will all clubs do Monday or Wednesday 1/2 of them will be finished midway thro season

All clubs would have one fixture each week so they would all finish at the same week.

Wolves v Leicester and Swindon v Lakeside on the Monday then Poole v Coventry

and Kings Lynn v Belle Vue on the Wednesday for example for one week.

Why ?

British Speedway needs Sky because of the money as it keeps most clubs afloat and unless they changed their mind there would have to be one fixture each week on a Monday so riders would have 3 or 4 consecutive nights about 5 times a season.

British Speedway doesn't need a set night to continue but if they want a better product and hope to see the big names appear here they would have to have a set night and to make the Elite League creditable and stop clashes of fixtures for riders doubling up

....Incognito.....All clubs would have one fixture each week so they would all finish at the same week.

Wolves v Leicester and Swindon v Lakeside on the Monday then Poole v Coventry
and Kings Lynn v Belle Vue on the Wednesday for example for one week.

Wouldn't it be nice if those plans worked out but we all know they wouldn't because if there was a dodgy weather forecast the match/matches would be off.

Kings Lynn surely changed race night to suit our Danish riders and ready for next year, we had Wednesday and Thursday meetings last year.

Kings Lynn surely changed race night to suit our Danish riders and ready for next year, we had Wednesday and Thursday meetings last year.

If that is the case it is quite ironic that Iversen and maybe Porsing will be missing from King's Lynn in 2016.

Wolfie

If that is the case it is quite ironic that Iversen and maybe Porsing will be missing from King's Lynn in 2016.

Wolfie

But we have Mads back and for the future it is obviously the right decision .....

And possibly a Danish number one too.

And possibly a Danish number one too.

But who?

Nicki has said no, Niels the same, Kildemand like Niels has said no. Bjarne is at Lakeside.

Other than those who is left? Larsen? MJJ? Neither are number ones are they?