British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Swindon End Of Era Meeting.

Yes sorry I came across poorly there. I guess I'm getting a little frustrated with the situation. No offence intended.

Thank you. I can never remember any real dislike between Swindon and Reading fans or riders, though we all liked it when we were winning! At least 3 Racers fans on this thread are wishing the club well and we all want to see Swindon remain for many years.

Agreed, and having attended both the first and last meetings at Smallmead, I will confess to having a soft spot for our 'noisy neighbours '

Apologies again.

ER.

• Like 2

Thank you. I can never remember any real dislike between Swindon and Reading fans or riders, though we all liked it when we were winning! At least 3 Racers fans on this thread are wishing the club well and we all want to see Swindon remain for many years.

You never used to stand on the 3rd bend in the 70's/80's then RTR? :P

Indeed, I wish the Robins well in their push for a new stadium, but with GI involved you can't help but be pessimistic. Ideally for me Swindon moving to Oxford would be great. I live in Oxfordshire and it be nice and neutral for us Racers fans to enjoy some speedway again, but I don't really want to see that happen, it's a possible outcome but not the best one for either Swindon or Oxford fans.

I used to love our Bank Holiday outings to Smallmead for 11 then home for food before the Abbey in the evening.

We used to stand on the 3rd bend by the pits at Smallmead and there was a lot of barracking and banter, I think it was in the foremost well mannered?

Then again, I am now a lot older and the memory might be lacking detail?

I just hope the Robins survive and would love to see the Racers and Cheetahs return at some future time, but the sport in this country needs a new strong leadership to knock it back into shape first!

• Like 2

I'm not sure about well mannered. I learnt quite a few new words & expressions during my childhood stood on the 3rd bend during Racers/Robin derbies.

Lots of banter, but never any trouble from what I recall, well someone did throw a can at Jim Lynch when we dumped you out of the play-offs in 2006, but we'll let you off that and hope that whoever did threw it aim is better if the opportunity ever arises again. ;)

I used to love our Bank Holiday outings to Smallmead for 11 then home for food before the Abbey in the evening.

We used to stand on the 3rd bend by the pits at Smallmead and there was a lot of barracking and banter, I think it was in the foremost well mannered?

I just hope the Robins survive and would love to see the Racers and Cheetahs return at some future time, but the sport in this country needs a new strong leadership to knock it back into shape first!

It was the same going to Oxford and taking the mick out of the speedway star seller, hundreds of Robins fans grouped next to the pits.

Edited by A ORLOV

I do miss those Reading meeting's and used to go to every Smallmead meeting there 1984/89 when Mad Wellie rode there loved it followed Per as well really great on those Monday nights.
  • Like 1

You never used to stand on the 3rd bend in the 70's/80's then RTR? :P

Indeed, I wish the Robins well in their push for a new stadium, but with GI involved you can't help but be pessimistic. Ideally for me Swindon moving to Oxford would be great. I live in Oxfordshire and it be nice and neutral for us Racers fans to enjoy some speedway again, but I don't really want to see that happen, it's a possible outcome but not the best one for either Swindon or Oxford fans.

I sat on the grass on bends 1 or occasionally 4 if the weather was really good, but generally preferred the straights and the seats near the bar until Stadia UK/Gaming International took over and hiked the bar prices - and rarely pay Swindon's prices with them when I visit now!

No former Racers fan wants you to be duped and turned over as we were. Please please get the MP, council, newspaper and other internet news folk insist on the clause that the new one be ready and open before the old one is demolished or closed. Also we dont know yet if Oxford is going t be available or have I missed what would be good news?

Weird really i ended up supporting the Racers in that period as well there was never any needle between Reading and Swindon not really the only time i can remember is in 1980 Autrey rode a incident between Briggs ( Jnr) Gresham,Spinka that got heated.After that i loved the 3TT meeting's with Oxford as well great days i loved the two meetings in one day.
  • Like 1

:o Sid, you were a closet Wackie!

Well, suppose it made a change to support a successful title winning team :D

:o Sid, you were a closet Wackie!

Well, suppose it made a change to support a successful title winning team :D

For all the good it did ya :P (sorry, but you Reading fans did start it!)

• Like 1

We had to take a sabatical to give our M4 neighbours a shot at some glory Buzz. Felt it only fair that another generation or two of Robin fans got the chance to experience what it felt like to win something :lol:

Weird really i ended up supporting the Racers in that period as well there was never any needle between Reading and Swindon not really the only time i can remember is in 1980 Autrey rode a incident between Briggs ( Jnr) Gresham,Spinka that got heated.After that i loved the 3TT meeting's with Oxford as well great days i loved the two meetings in one day.

Gresham getting "heated" - think that was par for the course every meeting sidney :)

• Like 1

It was the same going to Oxford and taking the mick out of the speedway star seller, hundreds of Robins fans grouped next to the pits.

Remember a mass punch-up between Swindon and Oxford fans, and a Swindon coach was stoned, resulting in the fans getting off and chasing the Oxford sods, perhaps early 80s, more needle than Swindon-Reading. Why did they extract the urine out of the SS seller?

Was chatting to a Swindon-born ex-Reading fan the other week at Blunsdon, recalling the days at Tilehurst when the won the league in 1973. Remember the stadium by the main railway line. Sold accident insurance to the riders at Smallmead mid-80s, and last visited when Swindon hammered them in 2007, hundreds of Robins fans there, Mad Wellie Reading boss.

Sad sight when I work in Green Park and see the derelict site now, then you look at the majestic MadStad down the road and recall when the Royals were at that old tip at Elm Park, and sometimes got lower crowds than the Racers!

Edited by haydon hat

Remember a mass punch-up between Swindon and Oxford fans, and a Swindon coach was stoned, resulting in the fans getting off and chasing the Oxford sods, perhaps early 80s, more needle than Swindon-Reading. Why did they extract the urine out of the SS seller?

he was a bald geezer with a bad attitude, always giving verbals to the punters. He was an easy target really.
  • Like 1