British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2016

Biggest change this team needs over the summer is an out and out number 1.

We simply don't win enough heats.

Danny King would be the ideal candidate if he could be prized from Ipswich.

• Like 1

Biggest change this team needs over the summer is an out and out number 1.

We simply don't win enough heats.

Danny King would be the ideal candidate if he could be prized from Ipswich.

my understanding is panthers had discussions with king this season but he wouldn't wait forever for panthers to commit and Ipswich needed a answer hence why he signed for them and we ended up with olly allen

I believe Danny agreed his Ipswich contract for last season in October.....

that teams around 38.00. taken from bspa w/site. is the el average 32 or 35 with draft riders ?.. if draft riders are to be used in the pl, i would think the team building average would be around 32 points per team.

don't think the current 42.50 will operate in 2016 if the draft thing is in place.. as i said, more like 32 or something in that area.. plus i don't think there will be enough quality riders to go around .

that teams around 38.00. taken from bspa w/site. is the el average 32 or 35 with draft riders ?.. if draft riders are to be used in the pl, i would think the team building average would be around 32 points per team.

don't think the current 42.50 will operate in 2016 if the draft thing is in place.. as i said, more like 32 or something in that area.. plus i don't think there will be enough quality riders to go around .

It's only going to water down the product and quality further with 2 NL riders. Just change the rule and say 2 british reserves per team and keep 42.50

We had a genuine number 1 in Robert Lambert.

Lambert beat Cook around Armadale on his first visit.

His average suggests otherwise

Edited by dazpanther
  • Like 1

It's only going to water down the product and quality further with 2 NL riders. Just change the rule and say 2 british reserves per team and keep 42.50

It could be argued that the PL needs to be 'watered down'

Ideally the league structure needs to nurture progression - a NL heat leader should be a competitive PL reserve/lower second string and similar between PL and EL.

Currently the top PL riders are higher second string/lower heat leader in EL and there is a gulf between the NL and even PL reserve berths.

A proper draft in the PL could be the first stepping stone to getting the future structure right.

If that means losing the top few from the PL and also getting rid of the the foreign bottom end then IMO thats the right thing to do.

• Like 2

Ideally the league structure needs to nurture progression - a NL heat leader should be a competitive PL reserve/lower second string and similar between PL and EL.

Currently the top PL riders are higher second string/lower heat leader in EL and there is a gulf between the NL and even PL reserve berths.

A proper draft in the PL could be the first stepping stone to getting the future structure right.

If that means losing the top few from the PL and also getting rid of the the foreign bottom end then IMO thats the right thing to do.

It would get rid of rubbish like Konopka, Maassen and Dilger, seriously these blokes are no better than NL riders so a draft would not do any harm.

Just reduce the points limit of the PL by 6-7 points for the top five with two draft reserves and teams aren't even being watered down really.

Oh it is watering it down, NL riders are often well off the pace when given guest bookings at PL level.

I agree regarding Konopka etc just make the rule that both reserves need to he brits.

It will force the top riders out of the PL

The league structure used to nurture progression perfectly well. That's the post of an apologist for the annual rule and structure tinkering in speedway's continued race to the bottom. You might also add that if we lose more fans then it's a price worth paying for a wholesome local product.

The league structure used to nurture progression perfectly well. That's the post of an apologist for the annual rule and structure tinkering in speedway's continued race to the bottom. You might also add that if we lose more fans then it's a price worth paying for a wholesome local product.

In no way am I an apologist for the annual tinkering - quite the opposite.

Ideally there would need to be little if any changes to the basics each year. It is the annual tinkering that has in many ways created the problem.

However (ironically) in order to solve the problem of too much tinkering you have to make further changes.

These changes need to be with a longer term view though and not viewed from an individual 'how can my club gain from this' position as seems to happen currently.

It would get rid of rubbish like Konopka, Maassen and Dilger, seriously these blokes are no better than NL riders so a draft would not do any harm.

Just reduce the points limit of the PL by 6-7 points for the top five with two draft reserves and teams aren't even being watered down really.

I would like to see a rule brought where if you sign an assessed averaged rider they remain on that average untill they go above that figure, so the likes of Konopka, Edberg and Co would still be on their starting average.

• Like 5

In no way am I an apologist for the annual tinkering - quite the opposite.

Ideally there would need to be little if any changes to the basics each year. It is the annual tinkering that has in many ways created the problem.

However (ironically) in order to solve the problem of too much tinkering you have to make further changes.

These changes need to be with a longer term view though and not viewed from an individual 'how can my club gain from this' position as seems to happen currently.

They don't do long term though and everything is short term even though it isn't dressed up like that. I agree that it's always reactive in response to self created problems. They just hope that it bottoms out at some point, but they started a snowball going downhill and it shows no sign of stopping. Until the lunatics are not running the asylum, isn't it naïve to think that self interest will not continue, whatever they come up with.