British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Ok, so put those races in front of a 1300/1500 gate instead of 5000+ with just a scattering of fans on back straight and corners. Take away the Dave Lanning commentary, grass, Ole Olsens interviews with Gary Newbon, replace the race suits with leather, and swap out the uprights for laydowns, and it isn't that much difference to today..

You've obviously never been to Hyde Road. The grand final to the season was the BLRC, always a full house of 40,000 fans. Each club had their No 1 rider there. Fans from all tracks around the country traveled to this meeting to see riders like, Ove Fundin,Ronnie Moore, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Terry Betts, Malc Simmons, Barry Briggs, Eric Gundersen,Tommy Knudsen, Peter Collins Chris Morton,Ray Wilson, there are loads more who I'v not mentioned as the list is endless and the racing was always first class with an atmosphere filled with friendly banter from the many traveling fans.

As I said earlier, Those were the days.

Edited by hyderd
  • Like 2

You've obviously never been to Hyde Road. The grand final to the season was the BLRC, always a full house of 40,000 fans. Each club had their No 1 rider there. Fans from all tracks around the country traveled to this meeting to see riders like, Ove Fundin,Ronnie Moore, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Terry Betts, Malc Simmons, Barry Briggs, Eric Gundersen,Tommy Knudsen, Peter Collins Chris Morton,Ray Wilson, there are loads more who I'v not mentioned as the list is endless and the racing was always first class with an atmosphere filled with friendly banter from the many traveling fans.

Err? I went to several BLRC'S in the 1970's (late) and 80,s (more) and yes, those meetings and World Championship rounds, Leicesters Golden Gauntlets and similar events UK wide had tremendous fields, and support. That what I was commenting on was not a major individual event. I also have to say, the crowd maketh the meeting, 5,000 can make a dull meeting seem not.

40,000???? When was that then?

40,000???? When was that then?

1976, 1977, 1978 and 1979 added together!! ;)

• Like 2

Err? I went to several BLRC'S in the 1970's (late) and 80,s (more) and yes, those meetings and World Championship rounds, Leicesters Golden Gauntlets and similar events UK wide had tremendous fields, and support. That what I was commenting on was not a major individual event. I also have to say, the crowd maketh the meeting, 5,000 can make a dull meeting seem not.

Hyde road was a fantastic day out funfair first then the speedway and a zoo if I remember right

Hyde road was a fantastic day out funfair first then the speedway and a zoo if I remember right

No it was ZOO first then the speedway THEN the funfair...
  • Like 5

Yes, a quick walk across the Speedway track to get to the funfair and probably the only reason I could persuade my two to go to Belle Vue.

• Like 1

No it was ZOO first then the speedway THEN the funfair...

I didn't bother with the zoo we use to do funfair speedway then funfair again

We use to go down to Wembley for world final get of the coach bit of banter with the other fans on the under ground to Battersea funfair then back to Wembley for the build up to the final happy days

• Like 1

I didn't bother with the zoo we use to do funfair speedway then funfair again

We use to go down to Wembley for world final get of the coach bit of banter with the other fans on the under ground to Battersea funfair then back to Wembley for the build up to the final happy days

I must admit to being envious of your trips to battersea funfair . always wanted to see it but sadly never did

I must admit to being envious of your trips to battersea funfair . always wanted to see it but sadly never did

Went on the big dipper at Battersea Funfair about 2 weeks before the tragic accident!

I don't think the ashes were actually scattered but were buried in a container where the old start line used to be, but I could be wrong. :unsure: I'm sure I read somewhere this bit won't be affected by any building work, but I don't know how they work that one out.

Nor me Gem . developers can put a house on a piece of land the size of postage stamp and that is what they will do with every last bit of Brandon ,

Went on the big dipper at Battersea Funfair about 2 weeks before the tragic accident

Double lucky then

Edited by speedibee

Nor me Gem . developers can put a house on a piece of land the size of postage stamp and that is what they will do with every last bit of Brandon ,

Double lucky then

Yes indeed. Did make me think a bit after that happened. I know we are getting off topic now but it is close season!

Interesting article from someone that was on it when it crashed here:

https://open.abc.net.au/explore/46025#credits

• Like 2

It was your last few words that made me comment back (and it isn't that much difference to today..), It's no where near as good today as it was in the 70's and indeed the 80's, is this because we have stood still whilst the Poles, Danes and Swedes have kept moving ??

• Like 1

It was your last few words that made me comment back (and it isn't that much difference to today..), It's no where near as good today as it was in the 70's and indeed the 80's, is this because we have stood still whilst the Poles, Danes and Swedes have kept moving ??

It's the same game In Poland Sweden and Denmark , except in the percetion of councils governemnts etc . if its what the people want the Authorities in those countries provide it and offer assistance as they do equally with other sports , if it's not Football in the Uk the only authority interest is in preventing it , I make an exception of course in the case of the new Belle Vue , where i hope the flagship new facility ma just inspire some other cities councils to be a bit more even handed

• Like 3

Josh Bates misses a few meetings early season, not looked further ahead. Surely we could ride at Swindon and Kings Lynn when Sheffield dont have a home meeting.