British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

I'd be interested to see the Coventry definition of a 'concession'.

I know adults that are a full time student.

I was a full time student at 29.

Surely it's not difficult to specify the qualifying criteria?

Full time? Age related? University or college?

Best bet is just to cheese everyone off whether they qualify or not,

Great business sense. :nono:

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 2

What evidence do want? Names and addresses of the culprits? When someone thinks they are getting away with a good scam they are unable to keep their mouth shut and it soon becomes common knowledge. Anyway the concession was aimed at FULL time students not mature students who worked during the day and occasionally attended a college at night.

Fair enough. And has that been specified explicitly so that students know what the rules are ?

Unlike you I cannot predict the future.

I guess you are one of the supporters who has been benefiting from this £5 gesture to genuine students and does not like the idea of paying full price.

Just because I challenged what the money grabbing promotion have done doesn't mean I don't pay full price, which I have done for 20 plus years.

• Like 1

holy moly - just read the latest on the "official" bees site of the student admission policy being withdrawn due to it being "abused".

Horton and Watson - you so so desperate and obviously on a different planet. You need bums on seats big time - so a student coming in for say 5 quid less than the the normal 17 quid rate men's you get 12 pounds of income, plus the potential of a programme sale, bag of crisps, maybe a pie and if you lucky, a glass of Coke. Now, master or miss student are gonna give you a miss - especially with the rubbishe you putting on show at present.

I fifty plus, and the student policy means bugger all to me. Come on guys, get a life !

My edit - for rubbishe please read. S H I T and E. - anything less does not emphasise how bad things are.

But it was abused, someone posted somewhere that he and everyone he knows was gonna get in for a fiver, how stupid was that ..... some people obviously don't want their clubs to survive!
  • Like 6

Cant believe people are defending people that are abusing the system. It was designed to help young people in education to attend meetings. How many fans do clubs lose when they reach the age of 16-18 because of the price increase? Massive shame but can understand why the promotion have took this stance, why should people who cheat the system get in cheap while good honest people are paying adult rate is good faith.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Cant believe people are defending people that are abusing the system. It was designed to help young people in education to attend meetings. How many fans do clubs lose when they reach the age of 16-18 because of the price increase? Massive shame but can understand why the promotion have took this stance, why should people who cheat the system get in cheap while good honest people are paying adult rate is good faith.

So right, the ones who have abused the offer should be ashamed, clever dicks aren't they!

Surely the solution is anyone they're not convinced is a real student is given the benefit of the doubt that meeting but is asked or further proof for the next meeting. Most people will have an admission letter from university/college. It's not an impossible hurdle to over come.

The issue is that the club didn't actually state who the offer was aimed at. It was typical speedway without any explaination. Without any T&Cs a student price that allows NUS card holders in is just that. Am I to assume that when I genuinely had my NUS card 2 years ago (wasn't a student but worked an educational company) that any company offering a student discount wasn't offering it to me? What was I meant to be looking for? How was I to know if McDonalds "spirit" of the offer was aimed at full time students or me? What about the cinema? They all said NUS cards so I claimed the discount. Same now with Coventry Speedway.

It comes back to Mick Horton saying/doing something but getting it wrong/not understanding it.

Edited by SCB

I think Mick naively thought that customers would be honest. Very silly I know and you would think he should no better.

I think he has every intention of putting something in place that targets the correct student audience.

Mick has a habit of meaning well but not putting enough thought into his ideas.

I think Mick naively thought that customers would be honest. Very silly I know and you would think he should no better.

I think he has every intention of putting something in place that targets the correct student audience.

As the 2016 team proves ;)

• Like 2

If people read the statement correctly, it says it is being withdrawn 'at this stage' and that the club are going to be working with local universities etc over the next few days to find a way forward.

It's a shame that it wasn't sorted before the season started, but perhaps the system, which has been in place for a while, has never been abused to such an extent before.

They need to get rid of the NUS discount and control student admission themselves, deciding on a clear definition of who it applies to. Students should have to apply for a club student card in the same way a supporter would apply for a season ticket, with proof of enrolment on a full time course and photo ID. This would then be shown at the turnstile to enable the student to gain the discount on entry.

It would be relatively easy to set up.

Seems pretty sensible to me.

This x100. The number of times hes done something and had to back track is silly now. I genuinely think the guy always means well and has the best of intentions though.

Surely the solution is anyone they're not convinced is a real student is given the benefit of the doubt that meeting but is asked or further proof for the next meeting. Most people will have an admission letter from university/college. It's not an impossible hurdle to over come.

The issue is that the club didn't actually state who the offer was aimed at. It was typical speedway without any explaination. Without any T&Cs a student price that allows NUS card holders in is just that. Am I to assume that when I genuinely had my NUS card 2 years ago (wasn't a student but worked an educational company) that any company offering a student discount wasn't offering it to me? What was I meant to be looking for? How was I to know if McDonalds "spirit" of the offer was aimed at full time students or me? What about the cinema? They all said NUS cards so I claimed the discount. Same now with Coventry Speedway.

It comes back to Mick Horton saying/doing something but getting it wrong/not understanding it.

Unless you're stupid it's obvious who the offer was aimed at imo!

How wicked of him expecting honesty and integrity!

Except it really wasn't. People were tweeting the club before the first meeting to ask what constituted a "student" and then they were told NUS card holders. So if you had an NUS card that was deemed enough, nowhere else was there any other convoluted rules of "spirit" or "what they meant". If they didn't mean NUS card holders they should have explained this. The point is they didn't know and they don't know now do they? If they had some clear rules they would state them, the fact they have removed it (possibly as a temp thing) suggests they didn't know themselves!

I think telling people they "abused" the offer is pretty pathetic when they asked on twitter and got an answer.

So for the stupid people, who was the offer aimed at? Bearing in mind the club posted this yesterday afternoon 6 hours before removing the student price,

"STUDENT ADMISSION
Monday April 04, 2016
COVENTRY wish to clarify the arrangements for student admission at Elite and National League meetings this season.
We require proof of full-time student status, and therefore an NUS card will be required to gain entry at the student rate.
We hope this clarifies any previous confusion over this issue."
Edited by SCB

How wicked of him expecting honesty and integrity!

Like a lot of speedway rules etc, this price offer was not thought out properly, he should have added an age limit.

But there is a 66 year old I know who is going to college full time, who technically is a student.