British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

biased opinion.

I know plenty of OAP's who fought in the wars and still go to speedway. My dad for one. It's not for me to tell you that you have little respect for you're elders.

So my biased opinion, that I portrayed using facts is rubbished but then you come up with proof of many OAPs having fought for the country because of one OAP, your dad? :D

So you know your dad, now how many OAPs do you know who go to speedway? He's 1 out of how many? Did you dad get a discount when he was just an "adult"? As I said, if you want to give a armed services a discount then you should have an armed forces discount like they do in America and in Dominos pizza. But frankly I think thats pants too, as nobody is forced into the armed services these days.

That’s slightly contradictory logic is it not?

Well just put it this way, I used to go to two or three meetings a week, now I can't usually afford to go to one. As pensioners go I'm not a poor man, but I have to prioritise and I don't smoke or drink. My logic wasn't contradictory, if Speedway got bigger crowds they'd probably feel confident in putting the prices up even more.

A great deal of thought went into this revision, the following information from the highly respected IFS may be of interest:

The current generation of pensioners is better off than ever before, and for the first time have incomes higher on average than the rest of the population, the director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) Paul Johnson will say in giving the inaugural Pensions Management Institute annual lecture later today (18.30 Tuesday 20 Oct 2015).

Johnson will set out how modelling by IFS researchers suggests that pensioners’ incomes will continue to rise for at least the next decade. However, it is unlikely that later generations will do as well. Future state pensions will be less generous on average, there has been an extraordinary fall in rates of home ownership, and, in the private sector, a collapse in membership of defined benefit occupational pension schemes. Younger generations are also likely bearing some of the cost of these generous occupational pension schemes from which they themselves will never benefit.

Johnson will also use his lecture to outline some policy priorities for making state and private pensions more stable and sustainable, for example ending the so called triple lock on the state pension and bringing stability to the taxation of private pensions.

Drawing on work by IFS researchers, Johnson will show how:

Pensioners now have higher incomes on average than the rest of the population, once housing costs and family composition are taken into account. Pensioners’ incomes have continued to rise post-recession as the incomes of working-age households have fallen.. (Cont).

No doubt there will be individuals who don't fit this general view, but our view is that a concessionary rate for seniors is no longer appropriate.

We have however made a much bigger investment in making speedway more affordable for families and juniors, and the majority of the feedback I have had so far supports this action.

• Like 6

So my biased opinion, that I portrayed using facts is rubbished but then you come up with proof of many OAPs having fought for the country because of one OAP, your dad? :D

So you know your dad, now how many OAPs do you know who go to speedway? He's 1 out of how many? Did you dad get a discount when he was just an "adult"? As I said, if you want to give a armed services a discount then you should have an armed forces discount like they do in America and in Dominos pizza. But frankly I think thats pants too, as nobody is forced into the armed services these days.

The expected putdown.

My dad goes with and speaks to several other guys who fought in the war and that's just at wolves and brum.

No doubt you will be asking for names/DOB/war fought/rank etc but I will let you carry on embarrassing yourself.

It's proving to be the laugh of the day at least so thanks :t:

• Like 2

Well just put it this way, I used to go to two or three meetings a week, now I can't usually afford to go to one. As pensioners go I'm not a poor man, but I have to prioritise and I don't smoke or drink. My logic wasn't contradictory, if Speedway got bigger crowds they'd probably feel confident in putting the prices up even more.

The price of speedway has gone up well ahead of the rate of inflation. It cost £7 to get into Newport Speedway in 1997 which is £11.37 in 2015 but the average PL entry price seems to be £14 or £15! That means it's 30% too high!

A great deal of thought went into this revision, the following information from the highly respected IFS may be of interest:

The current generation of pensioners is better off than ever before, and for the first time have incomes higher on average than the rest of the population, the director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) Paul Johnson will say in giving the inaugural Pensions Management Institute annual lecture later today (18.30 Tuesday 20 Oct 2015).

Johnson will set out how modelling by IFS researchers suggests that pensioners incomes will continue to rise for at least the next decade. However, it is unlikely that later generations will do as well. Future state pensions will be less generous on average, there has been an extraordinary fall in rates of home ownership, and, in the private sector, a collapse in membership of defined benefit occupational pension schemes. Younger generations are also likely bearing some of the cost of these generous occupational pension schemes from which they themselves will never benefit.

Johnson will also use his lecture to outline some policy priorities for making state and private pensions more stable and sustainable, for example ending the so called triple lock on the state pension and bringing stability to the taxation of private pensions.

Pensioners now have higher incomes on average than the rest of the population, once housing costs and family composition are taken into account. Pensioners incomes have continued to rise post-recession as the incomes of working-age households have fallen.. (Cont).

No doubt there will be individuals who don't fit this general view, but our view is that a concessionary rate for seniors is no longer appropriate.

We have however made a much bigger investment in making speedway more affordable for families and juniors, and the majority of the feedback I have had so far supports this action.

You just need to look after the U35's now. My heart bleeds for their poverty. :rofl: Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 1

It is a bit contradictory to say the sport should price its self in line with other minority sports (it does) but then say its ok for other sports to do it because they get bigger crowds, so basically, by your own logic they simply screw more people over?

I think there is a fine line for the sport between fair pricing and pricing people out, comparing the average price (£15/20) it falls in line with most minority sports, and is actually a lot cheaper than most forms of entertainment.

I am sorry if you aren’t able to attend as often as used to, but I wouldn’t (without even knowing your circumstances) say that blame lies at the door of the pricing structure of the sport.

Let’s face it, if it was £2.50 to get in, people would still say it should be £1.75

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

The expected putdown.

My dad goes with and speaks to several other guys who fought in the war and that's just at wolves and brum.

No doubt you will be asking for names/DOB/war fought/rank etc but I will let you carry on embarrassing yourself.

It's proving to be the laugh of the day at least so thanks :t:

But you're not getting this. They get the discount for being an OAP. Not someone in the armed forces. If you want an armed forces discount ask for one, or go to Dominos for a pizza!

Johnson will set out how modelling by IFS researchers suggests that pensioners’ incomes will continue to rise for at least the next decade. However, it is unlikely that later generations will do as well. Future state pensions will be less generous on average, there has been an extraordinary fall in rates of home ownership, and, in the private sector, a collapse in membership of defined benefit occupational pension schemes. Younger generations are also likely bearing some of the cost of these generous occupational pension schemes from which they themselves will never benefit.

Pensioners now have higher incomes on average than the rest of the population, once housing costs and family composition are taken into account. Pensioners’ incomes have continued to rise post-recession as the incomes of working-age households have fallen.. (Cont).

The IFS or the BSF?! I know who I chose to believe :D

You just need to look after the U35's now. My heart bleeds for their poverty. :rofl:

I don't think you realise how poor off the U35's are. The IFS are proper, serious and well respected and even they say its the case. But it's not good enough for you.

Edited by SCB

We are also told that we are in a period of deflation, but many do no see this in practice.

But you're not getting this. They get the discount for being an OAP. Not someone in the armed forces. If you want an armed forces discount ask for one, or go to Dominos for a pizza!

The IMF or the BSF?! I know who I chose to believe :D

I get it, I got it .

You it seems have missed my point.

Yes they get a discount for being OAP, my point is that some of them deserve it using the example I have given.

I get it, I got it .

You it seems have missed my point.

Yes they get a discount for being OAP, my point is that some of them deserve it using the example I have given.

And some of them don't. And some "adults" probably "deserve" a discount too if having been to war is "deserving" of a discount.

The IMF or the BSF?! I know who I chose to believe :D

I don't think you realise how poor off the U35's are. The IMF are proper, serious and well respected and even they say its the case. But it's not good enough for you.

Who mentioned the IMF? My reference is to the IFS, a completely different body.

My mate fought in Afghanistan and I can tell you he wouldn't want to be treated any different to anyone else. Not that it should make any difference as were are talking about an OAP rate, not an armed forces rate.

Johnson will set out how modelling by IFS researchers suggests that pensioners incomes will continue to rise for at least the next decade. However, it is unlikely that later generations will do as well. Future state pensions will be less generous on average, there has been an extraordinary fall in rates of home ownership, and, in the private sector, a collapse in membership of defined benefit occupational pension schemes. Younger generations are also likely bearing some of the cost of these generous occupational pension schemes from which they themselves will never benefit.

Pensioners now have higher incomes on average than the rest of the population, once housing costs and family composition are taken into account. Pensioners incomes have continued to rise post-recession as the incomes of working-age households have fallen.. (Cont).

Explains it very well!

Edited by woz01

Who mentioned the IMF? My reference is to the IFS, a completely different body.

Opps. Or them too!

Blimey! Isn't there a forum somewhere else for the old v young, L v R argument that has nothing to do with speedway.

Coming back to the subject, I wonder who the new No 1 will be......

• Like 1