British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle 2016

Lewis' injury was very unfortunate and agree I can't understand why we haven't replaced Phillips - can only assume there literally isn't an alternative.

But we had the opportunity to get Victor down to reserve thus negating the loss of Lewis. With R/R Victor can take two of his former no 2 rides, Matty can take heat 8, leaving only 1 ride to account for. Surely that's a better option than signing a rider who is not likelt to get anywhere near the points Lewis was getting?

The only possible reasoning I can think of is the unwilingness to run with a 6 man team. But if anyone is injured surely we'd be allowed to sign a replacement or at least use a guest.

thats how i see it, quite suprised there was no one in the NL to give a run out instead of DP... Still we have what we have i suppose.

not sure, thought you could have one if you were using RR?

To be honest Arson, Lewis Rose has been such a key member in your team and will be a miss, even if Morris is at reserve. He okay but can he score as Rose has? I fancied Newcastle for title given their performance at Somerset. Maybe it down a little with Rose missing? Key will be this Sunday against Rebels and a good guideline on how it will possibly pan out.

Edited by Catch Me If You Can

not sure, thought you could have one if you were using RR?

I'm amazed so many teams don't bother - specifically for the scenario I outlined above - I guess they don't want additional costs, but at home there must be a local junior to have as a standby??

I think r/r would be good option with Vic at reserve, but as said it leave's Danny to have at least 4 rides,,, dunno if or who a no.8 would be tho ???

we might find 1 and the Morris move might not be approved,,,

if it is, we need no 'off nights' in the top 5 and, Danny to find some kind of form,,, hopefully he will :)

The real big risk (especially running r/r for your 5th average rider) is getting an injury early in a meeting - especially pavlova - you then would have potentially 1 rider in some heats and/or have Phillips taking 7 rides - if this was a play off match could be difference between winning/losing overall so I can fully understand why you are looking to get a full team in place

Yes I would prefer a full team but not when the change significantly weakens us as this has done. In this instance I would definitely have taken the risk. With Morris & Phillips at reserve I can't see us beating any of the top teams in the play-offs anyway. Edited by NJC71

But does a number 8 have to be a (sub-)3 pointer or just lower than the current number 7 (who could be on more than a 3)?

Lewis' injury was very unfortunate and agree I can't understand why we haven't replaced Phillips - can only assume there literally isn't an alternative.

But we had the opportunity to get Victor down to reserve thus negating the loss of Lewis. With R/R Victor can take two of his former no 2 rides, Matty can take heat 8, leaving only 1 ride to account for. Surely that's a better option than signing a rider who is not likely to get anywhere near the points Lewis was getting?

The only possible reasoning I can think of is the unwilingness to run with a 6 man team. But if anyone is injured surely we'd be allowed to sign a replacement or at least use a guest.

Hit the nail on the head. More injuries, especially early in a meeting, would be suicidal and could cost us the meeting. In the Playoffs you have to be potentially looking to win any meeting. I am not disappointed with Morris, but let's not think he is anywhere near the form of Lewis has had recently. There is not a rider at his average at the moment capable of outscoring him IMO. Morris has had brilliant spells with other clubs and showed signs of being potentially a much higher average rider than 4.58. This is now his chance to show us that previous times, when he has been considered for the Diamonds, were justified. Think how many similar riders like Schraam, Tero, Mills, Simon, Pepe, and now Viktor were written off and dropped, only to come to Brough and restart there careers to become much better and higher averaged riders. Why Ashley hasn't kicked on in say the last 4 to 5 years I don't know. He has usually been the one dropped from teams, to get a higher averaged rider in to strengthen a team, so that is hardly failure. I used to watch him in about 2010, and at that time his entry into the bends was a la Kenni Larsen and Will Lawson. Full on and sideways, making it easier to be in line ready for the next straight. Let's hope he remembers that, because if he does, we might have a real find on our hands. But not of course to the level of Lewis I add. Suit being made for Ashley I hear, but sadly Lewis's kevlars had to be cut off him to be examined, prior to being despatched to the hospital.

Welcome Ashley, I really hope you will surprise many.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

one good thing is that he has won races at Brough in the past, and not only beating dross,,, so if he can gate we might be ok at home.

wandered why he's always on the move tho, but if thats what we have we can only encourage the lad.

• Like 1

But does a number 8 have to be a (sub-)3 pointer or just lower than the current number 7 (who could be on more than a 3)?

The number 8 must not be listed another teams 1 - 7 and must not have a green sheet average above 3. Furthermore he can only be used in the place of the rider replacement rides.

Personally I think Newcastle have done the right thing in tracking a seven man team. Victor is averaging less than 5 away from home and he would be required to take 7 rides guaranteed. It would only take an injury to someone else and you are really struggling. Bearing in mind the promoters only had a 2/3 hours to get someone in place before the midnight deadline I think they've done ok. Besides should Lewis' injury not be as bad as first feared we can still, I believe, bring him back in.

• Like 2

A few year ago when we won the league, or finished top of it anyway, we never replaced Steve Worrall after he done his leg and I think thats what cost us in the play-offs, just IMO tho :)

The number 8 must not be listed another teams 1 - 7 and must not have a green sheet average above 3. Furthermore he can only be used in the place of the rider replacement rides.

if thats correct, I think we've done the right thing.

Hit the nail on the head. More injuries, especially early in a meeting, would be suicidal and could cost us the meeting. In the Playoffs you have to be potentially looking to win any meeting. I am not disappointed with Morris, but let's not think he is anywhere near the form of Lewis has had recently. There is not a rider at his average at the moment capable of outscoring him IMO. Morris has had brilliant spells with other clubs and showed signs of being potentially a much higher average rider than 4.58. This is now his chance to show us that previous times, when he has been considered for the Diamonds, were justified. Think how many similar riders like Schraam, Teo, Mills, Simon, Pepe, and now Viktor were written off and dropped, only to come to Brough and restart there careers to become much better and higher averaged riders. Why Ashley hasn't kicked on in say the last 4 to 5 years I don't know. He has usually been the one dropped from teams, to get a higher averaged rider in to strengthen a team, so that is hardly failure. I used to watch him in about 2010, and at that time his entry into the bends was a la Kenni Larsen and Will Lawson. Full on and sideways, making it easier to be in line ready for the next straight. Let's hope he remembers that, because if he does, we might have a real find on our hands. But not of course to the level of Lewis I add. Suit being made for Ashley I hear, but sadly Lewis's kevlars had to be cut off him to be examined, prior to being despatched to the hospital.

Welcome Ashley, I really hope you will surprise many.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Dave. Victor at reserve and good cover for the R/R rides was an absolute no brainer for me. Nothing against Ashley at all and hope he is a big success, but we would have been far stronger with Victor at reserve.

If we can't find a competitive number 7, Ashley is going to be under big pressure to score well. Not seen anything in his scores this season to suggest he'll get the points we'll need for this to be the better option of the 2 available. And that's no disrespect to him, I just think we'll be asking far too much of him.

Personally I think Newcastle have done the right thing in tracking a seven man team. Victor is averaging less than 5 away from home and he would be required to take 7 rides guaranteed. It would only take an injury to someone else and you are really struggling. Bearing in mind the promoters only had a 2/3 hours to get someone in place before the midnight deadline I think they've done ok. Besides should Lewis' injury not be as bad as first feared we can still, I believe, bring him back in.

I think you will find that George was on the phone whilst standing next to the Ambulance. :shock: Ashley is no stranger to Newcastle Speedway, and I bet George would had have somebody in mind for every position prior to Sundays meeting, just in case. Certainly recently released riders would have been known and top of the list. Given that Lewis has had an operation on his triple broken collarbone, and with shoulder damage, I would say his season is over and he needs to concentrate on a full recover to come back here next year.

I am still not convinced that his rapid stop on Sunday was in fact caused by a hole in the track. As the Speedway Updates updater said, if it had been a hole, there would haver been more movement of the bike and possibly Lewis fighting to visibly stay on. Instead the bike stopped instantly, and Lewis was over and shoulder first into the shale. Yes it was reported that both Robert and the unfortunate Bewley said there was a soft spot, but that's different from a hole. At least one mechanical, with me and HT, think it had to be mechanical issue, probably a Primary Chain.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Dave. Victor at reserve and good cover for the R/R rides was an absolute no brainer for me. Nothing against Ashley at all and hope he is a big success, but we would have been far stronger with Victor at reserve.

If we can't find a competitive number 7, Ashley is going to be under big pressure to score well. Not seen anything in his scores this season to suggest he'll get the points we'll need for this to be the better option of the 2 available. And that's no disrespect to him, I just think we'll be asking far too much of him.

It is for most people Neil as well, but you have to consider each meeting has to be approached as winnable in a playoff system. As others have also said, early injuries especially to VIktor, and a poor guest, ie, Bates for Stevie) would/could lose that meeting, and we could be out of the playoffs. With a 7 man team you are better prepared for injuries, as long as it is not Ashley.

I think you are about to be surprised at what Ashley can do.

Edited by Tsunami

I didn't know it was a triple break. That's unfortunate for Lewis. i was working on the fact that a collarbone seems to take anything from 2 weeks to six month.