British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

The question shouldn't be whether they have a cup or trophy for finishing top of the league, but what actually matters.

Rugby League for instance, there is a trophy for who finishes top.. does anyone remember it? Not really, all that matters is who wins the Grand Final.

All the American Sports have division winners, then winners of their respective conference.. but again, the one that is remembered is the big prize.. the Superbowl, the World Series, the NBA Championship etc

As for the 'chap at work'... the average sports fan will know full well how playoffs work and that the winners of the playoffs are champions.

It's only a select group of old time speedway fans that invent that people get confused.

I would say that, in Britain at least, the average sports fan would say that winners of play-offs get promoted.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

Now living in the states I do see the value of the play offs. It creates a great end to the season. Much better then when a team clinches the league with X amount of matches to go. Yes it can be frustrating if you've topped the league all year but it's all about peaking at the right time. Everyone knows the rules going into the season, there are advantages given as a reward for finishing top, the fans love it (certainly most as shown my live and TV audiences) the riders love it, clubs make money, I really see zero down side to having the play offs.

Edited by PNYC
  • Like 1

The Play-Offs have proved popular, but should the bumper crowds compensate for a shorter season for those teams that didn't make the cut? To me, they are a jazzed up version of how important the SS Knock-Out Cup Final was, before the Play-Offs bullied it off the park.

The Play-Offs have proved popular, but should the bumper crowds compensate for a shorter season for those teams that didn't make the cut? To me, they are a jazzed up version of how important the SS Knock-Out Cup Final was, before the Play-Offs bullied it off the park.

If only speedway could have sold the KO Cup to Sky.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 1

It amazes me we don't have a cup competition with a neutral venue on a set date at latter part of season.

Now living in the states I do see the value of the play offs. It creates a great end to the season. Much better then when a team clinches the league with X amount of matches to go. Yes it can be frustrating if you've topped the league all year but it's all about peaking at the right time. Everyone knows the rules going into the season, there are advantages given as a reward for finishing top, the fans love it (certainly most as shown my live and TV audiences) the riders love it, clubs make money, I really see zero down side to having the play offs.

No it isn't!!

It's all about Sport and Fairness - or it should be.

It amazes me we don't have a cup competition with a neutral venue on a set date at latter part of season.

Why?

There is already too much speedway in this country, what's the point in introducing another tin pot nonsense that nobody cares about?

If the league fixtures were done correctly then they could also have a cup competition in order to make it a decent amount of fixtures for each team.

Edited by PNYC

Are these all rugby?

No

No it isn't!!

It's all about Sport and Fairness - or it should be.

No it's not ....the main thing is to get enough of the public to watch meetings so speedway can carry on

Why ...no one would turn up meaning a massive lost ...so not amazing at all . The most any club in any meeting would likely to bring is about 200 ... fans hardly go to away matches these days .

• Like 1

You think a proper KO Cup Final would bring no crowd? Please...

To me, they are a jazzed up version of how important the SS Knock-Out Cup Final was, before the Play-Offs bullied it off the park.

What did the Spar's sponsorship of the Knockout Cup actually amount to? I seem to recall the sponsorship was quite long lived, so was it just that they bought the trophy one year or provided a couple of crates of beer for the winners each season?

Genuine question...

You think a proper KO Cup Final would bring no crowd? Please...

Yes ..the rounds were bringing no crowds in so thats why is was it was binned ..I can see it now ... Lakeside v leics at Swindon in front of a massive crowd lol

Any chance of a list of sports in answer to my question?

Darts , ,NFL ,Rugby ,Cricket , ...hope this helps the made up man at work who no doubts also laughs at guest riders and double points .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Yes ..the rounds were bringing no crowds in so thats why is was it was binned ..I can see it now ... Lakeside v leics at Swindon in front of a massive crowd lol

Darts , ,NFL ,Rugby ,Cricket , ...hope this helps the made up man at work who no doubts also laughs at guest riders and double points .

Plenty to laugh at there though - isn't there?

Four then, plus us. Thanks for the response, you're the only one that bothered.

What's your thoughts on the injury issues when compared to these other sports?