British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

Any chance of a list of sports in answer to my question?

Perhaps if you would clarify your question it might get a better response.

The anti-playoff brigade want the league title to be one title and a totally separate one for the playoffs. In wanting this they believe the league title would carry more credence.

On that basis, there aren't any sports who do that.

However, those sports who dish out a trophy to the league winners, but it doesn't really mean anything as the winners of the playoffs are what its all about then you have.

Rugby Union

Rugby League

NFL

MLB

NBA

NHL

Darts

Australian Rules

Cricket

I'm sure there are more too.

You'd find it much easier to compile a list of team sports that DON'T have playoffs.

Yes ..the rounds were bringing no crowds in so thats why is was it was binned ..I can see it now ... Lakeside v leics at Swindon in front of a massive crowd lol

But that's a scenario that wouldn't happen unless they were total idiots, If it was Lakeside v Leic it would be held at say Peterborough. On a weekend. Or if Wolves and Coventry at Perry Barr. If you think that would bring no crowd. Well we'll just have to agree to disagree.

totally agree,as someone who saw a side win 5 ko cups, I can assure you these "tin pot cups" did work

• Like 2

Cheer up

When did cricket change? I'm pretty sure Yorkshire finished top of the league and were crowned champions this year.

When the indian 20 /20 cricket started the biggest and best league in the whole world with massive crowds and awash with money and sponsors ..not quite as good as the county championship with it's 300 fans per match I grant you

• Like 1

totally agree,as someone who saw a side win 5 ko cups, I can assure you these "tin pot cups" did work

VHS worked well for years too.

• Like 1

But that's a scenario that wouldn't happen unless they were total idiots, If it was Lakeside v Leic it would be held at say Peterborough. On a weekend. Or if Wolves and Coventry at Perry Barr. If you think that would bring no crowd. Well we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yea there would hold up's on the motorway if it was at Peterborough :rofl: Sadly as I said fans very rarely travel away in numbers these days making your idea a non starter .

So why then do you think the KO cup fell by the wayside. Was it maybe because crowds were so huge there were major concerns for their safety. Could it have been there was so much cash coming through the turnstiles that they couldn't fit it in the car boot. Or could there be another reason.

• Like 1

derrrr, the league is a massive flop, ave 700 a week at most venues, league cup is a flop, in fact the whole sport in England is a flop. the ONLY success crowd wise IS the play offs, so do we just hold 2 games a year??? we just give up "promoting" the sport and throw away cup comps?

Yea there would hold up's on the motorway if it was at Peterborough :rofl: Sadly as I said fans very rarely travel away in numbers these days making your idea a non starter .

Your opinion, I will politely disagree sir.

Edited by PNYC

I can only speak by experience,i have witnessed "5" koc finals, they have ALL been well supported with away crowds as well

However, those sports who dish out a trophy to the league winners, but it doesn't really mean anything as the winners of the playoffs are what its all about then you have.

I think the American and National Leagues are still generally considered worth winning in their own right, even if the big prize is the World Series.

The Stanley Cup has a more interesting background as it was historically a challenge cup that teams from different leagues could play off for, subject to the approval of the trustees of the cup. As such, I don't think it technically belongs to the NHL and as such other leagues could challenge for it, although there are now none of sufficient standard so it's not happened for years.

Australian Rules

Aussie Rules has the best playoff system, whether it be the Final Four, Final Five or Final Eight system currently used (the Final Six system used for a while was rubbish though). Finishing higher in the league table (although it's not a full home-and-away round robin) gives more advantages to those sides - whether home advantage, bye or double chance.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

So why then do you think the KO cup fell by the wayside. Was it maybe because crowds were so huge there were major concerns for their safety. Could it have been there was so much cash coming through the turnstiles that they couldn't fit it in the car boot. Or could there be another reason.

Wasn't that the competition that introduced the farcical match-race option for a team so many points behind? I can't remember exactly because I stopped going when they turned it from a meaningful competition to a Mickey Mouse one. Ah, that could be the 'another reason' you're looking for.

• Like 2

Wasn't that the competition that introduced the farcical match-race option for a team so many points behind? I can't remember exactly because I stopped going when they turned it from a meaningful competition to a Mickey Mouse one. Ah, that could be the 'another reason' you're looking for.

The reason they brought it in was to try to save it as was already a dead duck ..so not the reason your looking for .