British Speedway Forum
Paul Johnson

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2016?

Did they say if scunny would be fiddling averages early doors next season or not :)

Name a promoter that does not fiddle his averages....... It is common place and nothing is ever done to stop it.....it goes back over 30 years at least

What was said last night about riders that will potentially be in next years team?

Take it as read that Josh, Ryan, Carlos and Alex are deffo and then dependant what comes out of the AGM possibly a draft pick current NL rider? Then it's a choice No 1 big hitter or once again "strength" in depth? I do get the impression that Carlos will start at reserve and if so then we work from there. IMO we need a No 1.

Unfortunately if meetings clash with our grasstrack commitments we can't attend unless we run a njl team as well and Richard Hollingsworth decides to pick a certain young rider then it's a different story

Edited by phillwhitewasmad

This IS good news coming straight after our steelworks announcement of job losses. On tv, people would have seen a steelworker who is, also, a councillor & scorpion supporter.

On the race night change it would undoubtedly suit some & not others. On fridays, 2 shift workers could only attend every other week.

On the team front, i would think & hope josh is nailed on, Ryan if he gets in a top 4 state championship, Alex is now a "brit" so visa does not apply(shame his CMA increased so much but showed what he is capable of, Wilko even at his age, still learning & running a few meets in the Elite, taught him a few things but he needs to improve his gear & spares & Nike who improved from a 3pt CMA to 4.5. Zdenek on a 7 which will be reduced if & when he completes his 4H &4A meetings to get a proper CMA(currently after 3 meetings 15 rides & 12 points giving a minimum 3pt average) gives us scope for a change if required. This gives plenty of room for a brit draft rider at 7 & still only makes the team average around 41. Is it too weak, who knows but it will be within Rob's budget.

Even TJ & Leigh Lanham come into the equation if the budget will allow. TJ now a recognised no1 & Leigh did an awesome job home & away when filling in at the end of the season.

Oops! It should say "a 2 shift worker" & not mean only 2 people.

Edited by IronScorpion

Hopefully the agm will bring in that assessed averages cant drop or at very least have a floor.

Allowing the likes of Holub to be on a 3 in tge PL would defeat any objective the potential Brit #7 plan has.

• Like 1

I think if a rider comes in on a 7 for arguments sake his average should be worked on a rolling system, say 20 meetings at a non existent 7 so when they actually start riding one meeting at a time is reduced by a true score so after twenty meeting you have a true average and will stop newcomers dropping to reserve instantly

Absolutely delighted that Scunthorpe are racing next season. Never seen a bad meeting there, & the track is always set up to produce good racing.

• Like 1

Holoub cant be on a 3 average after his 4 home and aways? even he went to a 5 he would still be a reserve.

sorry not to see Thomas as he would of fetched the stay away fans back from this year but i can understand he probably wants paying No1 noney. i too would like a team with a "big" no1.. cookie, stead, king,barker etc but i cant see us getting their likes if we cant afford thomas.

so me for Josh will be no1

josh

alex

carlos

ryan

zebedee

leigh

adam ellis

and i can see carlos, alex, leigh, possibly zeb swopping reserve places hence building a team to strength

Home one week and away the next would be cheaper for the fans as you should in theory have 2 meets a month instead of 4, and it lets the training schools and amateurs to run.

As pointed out fridays suited some more than the others but the motorway closures made it difficult for travelling fans, home and away as they couldnt get in time after leaving work, sundays were good in the old days but was that because we were competitive? But i know that all the people who championed a sunday better turn up, no excuses like "well its was a hot day so we went to cleethorpes" I am one of those shift workers and could only get everyother friday so already rob has increased my visits 100%?

Edited by neck brace tony

Not many people mentioning Lunna, I still think he's a real talent just needs to work on the mechanical side of things.

• Like 1

Not many people mentioning Lunna, I still think he's a real talent just needs to work on the mechanical side of things.

Would love him back but the last conversation we had he wasn't sure if he was even coming back to England next year , he's currently doing his national service. After a sticky start he nearly got his average back to his assessed 5 and will be a bargain next year for somebody having seen all the tracks now and getting his setups something like

• Like 1

If the AGM, as it should, comes up with some proper structure, then there would be no need to even think about this. Baring forced changes through injury, there needs to be a set window, say 1st June to permit the first team change. To me this would seem fair and sensible on all sides.

I must say "15" definitely gone just like that is an awful lot to lose! Obviously, I don't know what the issues are but that's worrying and there may be others? For sure the promotion need to be aware of this type of thing when making their decisions. I sincerely hope that at least a few of the 15 can find a way of being there at some point? The promotion certainly don't need to be switching to Sunday only to find numbers even less! As regards every other Sunday, it was intimated as being "more or less" & that with the Bank Holiday dates then it would all pretty much pan out. We'll see?

If the AGM, as it should, comes up with some proper structure, then there would be no need to even think about this. Baring forced changes through injury, there needs to be a set window, say 1st June to permit the first team change. To me this would seem fair and sensible on all sides.

I must say "15" definitely gone just like that is an awful lot to lose! Obviously, I don't know what the issues are but that's worrying and there may be others? For sure the promotion need to be aware of this type of thing when making their decisions. I sincerely hope that at least a few of the 15 can find a way of being there at some point? The promotion certainly don't need to be switching to Sunday only to find numbers even less! As regards every other Sunday, it was intimated as being "more or less" & that with the Bank Holiday dates then it would all pretty much pan out. We'll see?

I have just read on the SGB site that Rob says and I quote "The problem is obvious the traffic on a Friday evening is just getting worse and worse ". He also says that " with just 7 meetings left had the crowds not improved in the way they did it would have been the end of the Scorpions. The race night was on a Friday and the crowds increased. With an increased crowd Rob has decided to change race days, did he ask the regular supporters if they preferred Friday or Sunday ? As I said in my in my last post I hope that the crowd increases, without the 15, and the EDW is open to Speedway for a few more years.

Edited by archie21

Why can't Holub drop to a 3pt CMA? That will be his new average according to the rules. All you have to do is check the BSPA site & check the averages of other riders. Palovaara & Konopka are 2 that spring to mind. There are others that started at 5 and soon dropped to around 3 then reserve so there is nothing illegal in it or manipulation.

Reading between the lines of what Rob has said about talking to 5 or 6 riders who wish to return could give a team close to

Josh 8.00

Zdenek 7.00

Ryan 6.68

Alex 6.26

Leigh 5.78

Wilko 5.33

Draft 3.00

Finishing 3rd from btm should give us a decent rider if we have a similar selection process to the Elite.

Nike not chosen because of his National Service call up.

Have to agree with Broadsiders suggestion of a window before which you can only change your team due to injury or unforseen circumstance. 1st June would be fair enough.

I agree on Nike Lunna not likely to figure from the off. Hes a talent; and one we nutured through a tough 2015 campaign.If he ended up loaned out someone will profit on a 4.5 average!

I included MPT in my 1-7; but Leigh Lanham would be a good call on 5.71. Bags of know how on all tracks; capable of posting double figure scores. The draft rider; finishing third bottom we presumably get an early pick. Cannot see Adam Ellis coming our way; but if we brought back our own find; MattyO we would be getting a rider in great NL form and ready to step up to PL. Could see some decent scores for him from reserve. Expect him to be one of the picks in an NL rider draft.