British Speedway Forum

Personally I think times have changed since then. European speedway existed back then but not to the degree it is now. With the top league speedway being in Denmark, Sweden and Poland to me it makes sense as a world class rider to compete in them to earn the money to give me a reasonable standard of living when I retire.

3 meetings a week on a regular basis is a tough call for anyone, what with the travelling, looking after bikes, and having a home/family to think of. Having a meeting in the UK, especially now as the EL is a shadow of its former self, is one meeting too much, added of course that one meeting per week moves about the week making any sort of planning/routine go out the window.

OK, it could be said that competing in the UK Championship is a semi plus a final..... but then the organisers put the semis so close to a world championship gp weekend. What does a top rider do? Go out full belt in a UK championship semi, risking injury when next day he is in a world GP match with a chance of winning the GP/world championship. There would be a serious risk this world class rider would race if he gated, but not be so keen to mix it and risk injury if he didn't get the gate. I know which I would choose, and to make it clear, it would be the latter - tootle round.

And if you notice that is what Tai seems to do in the GPs anyway. If he gates he goes for it, if he not in the front after a lap he sometimes (not always) settles for 2 points or even 1, knowing points make prizes and even one point at the end of the season could mean the difference to being world champ or not.

To me, Tai is thinking sensibly, and with British speedway being in the state its is, I don't think it matters one jot to press coverage whether Tai is in the British final or not.

I am sure they will be interesting discussion re Robert Lambert as he develops, will he ide in the UK or will he elect Den/Swe/Pol as his means of league career and do the same as Tai - its only a matter of a short time before we find out IMO.

So you're expecting Robert Lambert to ditch the British final in a few years then ?

Where did you get that idea from

I stated it would be an interesting talking point as he develops... and we wont have long to wait I dont think.

Woffinden is entitled to choose where and when he wishes to ride, but the British Championship should not include riders who choose not to ride in the British leagues. It's depriving places from those who do make the commitment.

Woffinden is entitled to choose where and when he wishes to ride, but the British Championship should not include riders who choose not to ride in the British leagues. It's depriving places from those who do make the commitment.

so we want a british championship, without the best british riders? kinds of take it away from the title really?

• Like 1

I disagree, we want the best line up possible of British riders regardless of whether they ride in the British leagues
  • Like 1

Surely the same should then apply to being picked for team GB ?

I think tai should be recalled to British speedway now as they do in Poland

Surely the same should then apply to being picked for team GB ?

I think it's a different thing. Great Britain rides as a team and in international competition, whereas the British Championship is an individual domestic competition that should be based on a qualifying criteria.

Of course it doesn't help that the pay scales for the British Championship are likely not encouraging for the top riders, and the BSPA compounds this by scheduling rounds of what should be one of their premier competitions against major international events.