British Speedway Forum
Fromafar

In My View Ss Article.

WHAT people say and how they vote isn't always the same thing in all walks of life

MHQ.

Exactly. It's also the case that what seems like a great idea to the person that first thinks of it, often doesn't so good when the details are held up for scrutiny in committee

Care to list exactly what you have in mind Mother T?

What again!!!!!!

Nah, it's obvious!!!

Rye House, Belle Vue, Scunthorpe, Leicester, Somerset, Glasgow, King's Lynn, Redcar, Buxton, Eastbourne.

Edit: ...and Kent.

I understand Redcar and Leicester are leased from their respective local authorities.

So David Hemsley doesn't own Leicester Speedway?

TERRIFIC interview with Buster Chapman in SS this week. So refreshing but just a shame that his election couldn't have come before the AGM rather than after it. Typical of the old regime. Things including the MC might have been very different.

• Like 1

TERRIFIC interview with Buster Chapman in SS this week. So refreshing but just a shame that his election couldn't have come before the AGM rather than after it. Typical of the old regime. Things including the MC might have been very different.

Yes, how annoying that established procedure has to be followed...

So David Hemsley doesn't own Leicester Speedway?

Basically, yes he does. Doesn't own the land though. That's owned by the City council, leased to another company DH owns although the speedway company seems to deal directly with the council.
  • Like 1

Yes, how annoying that established procedure has to be followed...

BUT it wasn't the established procedure as you probably well know.

RADICAL proposals from Chapman ... wants to organise a fans' forum to hear what supporters have to say ... rewrite the rulebook .... lots of good stuff but it will take take and require the backing of his fellow promoters. But the guy is determine to make changes and deserves to be heard and supported

• Like 1

BUT it wasn't the established procedure as you probably well know.

Wasn't it?

I'd imagine the terms of office of the MC members are quite specific, as are the nomination processes and when the elections have to be held.

RADICAL proposals from Chapman ... wants to organise a fans' forum to hear what supporters have to say ... rewrite the rulebook .... lots of good stuff but it will take take and require the backing of his fellow promoters.

I suppose it depends on what's meant by a fans' forum. It's hardly like the problems aren't obvious, but what's needed are sensible and practical proposals to address those. Not really convinced an open meeting will come up with the best ideas, and most just turn into a rant or come up with 'radical' suggestions like 'promoters need to start promoting' whatever that's supposed to mean.

Saying stuff like 'rewriting the rulebook' is also easy to say, but you need to work out the competition format, fixtures, team equalisation principles, guest and doubling-up rules, and so on.. before you can even start. It's also pointless rewriting it if the rules are constantly ignored, misinterpreted or special dispensation given anyway.

In fact, you actually need to be asking people who don't go to speedway as the sport isn't going to be sustained by the current fan base, no matter how much you reform the sport. I suspect many of the current fans would like to see the return of track marshals marching out in white coats to the strains of 'Imperial Echoes', war cries, jackets covered with badges, and faithful recreations of the back straight bogs at Swindon, but I suspect this isn't going to appeal to a new audience.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

NORMAL procedure would have the Chairman and the MC elected at the start of the AGM rather than two weeks later.

I suppose it depends on what's meant by a fans' forum. It's hardly like the problems aren't obvious, but what's needed are sensible and practical proposals to address those. Not really convinced an open meeting will come up with the best ideas, and most just turn into a rant or come up with 'radical' suggestions like 'promoters need to start promoting' whatever that's supposed to mean.

Saying stuff like 'rewriting the rulebook' is also easy to say, but you need to work out the competition format, fixtures, team equalisation principles, guest and doubling-up rules, and so on.. before you can even start. It's also pointless rewriting it if the rules are constantly ignored, misinterpreted or special dispensation given anyway.

In fact, you actually need to be asking people who don't go to speedway as the sport isn't going to be sustained by the current fan base, no matter how much you reform the sport. I suspect many of the current fans would like to see the return of track marshals marching out in white coats to the strains of 'Imperial Echoes', war cries, jackets covered with badges, and faithful recreations of the back straight bogs at Swindon, but I suspect this isn't going to appeal to a new audience.

DAMNED if he does and damned if he doesn't in your eyes. Ever the cynic.

One thing he is determined to do is get rid of the double tactical sub rule... which in itself would be a major step forward. As I say, give the guy a chance.

• Like 2

One thing he is determined to do is get rid of the double tactical sub rule... which in itself would be a major step forward. As I say, give the guy a chance.

Good grief ~ that will be a blow to The White Knight as he might have to give up his protest and start attending matches again. :lol:

• Like 1

NORMAL procedure would have the Chairman and the MC elected at the start of the AGM rather than two weeks later.

DAMNED if he does and damned if he doesn't in your eyes. Ever the cynic.

I think HA was making a valid point. It's all very well to come out with platitudes like "re-write the rule book " which means different things to different people. In fact it's only a small section of the rule book covering racing rules and team building that needs attention. What's he going to rewrite on the technical aspects such as machine specifications, duties of officials, etc which cover quite a bit of the rule book ? And as HA says, there is no,point in rewriting any rules if they are not going to be properly enforced.

It's good he has a positive attitude but let's see a bit more flesh on the bones before we carried away.