British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Jack Parker - World Speedway Champion In 1932?

Some interesting old footage here from Pathe News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppQc6ieJfs&list=PL6wiRn3_YDsAOoil72rMpMSVG2Qfp1uF2&index=2

There's some great old stuff on there, as we all know. But this one from 1932 interested me because, when the riders are introduced, Jack Parker is announced as the "present World champion".

I assumed this must be becuase of the well known "Star Riders" Championship, but looking it up he only won that in 1934.

So, any idea why Jack Parker would be announced as World Speedway champion in 1932? Golden Helmet holder perhaps? Or was it just the announcer bigging him up?

Some interesting old footage here from Pathe News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppQc6ieJfs&list=PL6wiRn3_YDsAOoil72rMpMSVG2Qfp1uF2&index=2

There's some great old stuff on there, as we all know. But this one from 1932 interested me because, when the riders are introduced, Jack Parker is announced as the "present World champion".

I assumed this must be becuase of the well known "Star Riders" Championship, but looking it up he only won that in 1934.

So, any idea why Jack Parker would be announced as World Speedway champion in 1932? Golden Helmet holder perhaps? Or was it just the announcer bigging him up?

On the http://www.speedwaychampions.com/world-champions.php website it reads "In the UK two competitions existed which, at the time or since, have been termed or considered as World Championships. With 2-man match races between star riders often the highlight of any dirt-track race meeting, - the top stars were initially excluded from league race teams - , a match race competition for the ‘Individual World Championship’ was initiated in 1931 by the Promoters Association, the first nominated holder of which was Vic Huxley who beat a nominated challenger, Colin Watson. Huxley was then challenged by Jack Parker who beat the first champion to relieve him of the trophy and be declared Individual World Champion. However, after the event the Speedway Control Board refused to recognise the title: the competition subsequently became the ‘British Individual Championship’, the pre-war forerunner of the British Match Race Championship. Notwithstanding, Parker always maintained his World Champion status, for he had an inscribed trophy as proof !"

Edited by Guest

That looks like it, Gustix. Very interesting.

That would certainly explain it.

That's about it gustix. The only thing I would disagree with is your saying, "With 2-man match races between star riders often the highlight of any dirt-track race meeting - the top stars were initially excluded from league race towns."

I wasn't just 2-man races. There were plenty of normal 4-man races for a number of major trophies run on a sort of grand prix line over the whole season. These were the mainstay of the 1928 season. When team racing was introduced in 1929, the promoters thought that these trophies amongst the star riders were more popular with the punters than team matches and so excluded the star riders from team events to continue with their trophy races. However, they were very quickly proved wrong, and by the end of the 1929 season, the star riders were allowed into the teams.

• Like 1

That's about it gustix. The only thing I would disagree with is your saying, "With 2-man match races between star riders often the highlight of any dirt-track race meeting - the top stars were initially excluded from league race towns."

I wasn't just 2-man races. There were plenty of normal 4-man races for a number of major trophies run on a sort of grand prix line over the whole season. These were the mainstay of the 1928 season. When team racing was introduced in 1929, the promoters thought that these trophies amongst the star riders were more popular with the punters than team matches and so excluded the star riders from team events to continue with their trophy races. However, they were very quickly proved wrong, and by the end of the 1929 season, the star riders were allowed into the teams.

I didn't say anything Norman. I was just Posting the comment as it appeared on the website that I gave the Link to which is http://www.speedwayc...d-champions.php