British Speedway Forum
Gresham

Bristol Bulldogs 1977-78

Wonderful memories of a less than perfect track...but good memories all the same!

I disagree, if the link had been put where you suggest, I for one would not have seen them as the History section is a place I rarely visit.

I'm sure it will receive a wider audience here.

It could always be moved there later.

Clearly HISTORY is the correct section to put this thread in. To make sure I don't miss anything, when I visit this site I just click "View New Content" which is towards the top left side. That gets all new posts in each of the sections. That's how I got to read about Bristol Bulldogs 1977-78.

I'm open to correction....but I heard it was stopped due to rare migrating birds using that land.

Was not Andy originally linked with the Rebels? I think he migrating birds were something of an urban myth for a while. My understanding is that the 'nature organisation' (my words) to whom that was attributed actually denied all knowledge and it was subsequently confirmed that there were no outstanding objections to the granting of planning permission. Right on cue the financial slump screwed up everyone's plans ...... since then everything has gone very quiet :sad:

• Like 1

Was not Andy originally linked with the Rebels? I think he migrating birds were something of an urban myth for a while. My understanding is that the 'nature organisation' (my words) to whom that was attributed actually denied all knowledge and it was subsequently confirmed that there were no outstanding objections to the granting of planning permission. Right on cue the financial slump screwed up everyone's plans ...... since then everything has gone very quiet :sad:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it could still be a goer then.

The frustrating thing is that Avonmouth would be the perfect place for a speedway track. In Bristol but in industrial Bristol and not residential Bristol so unlikely to ever be effected by houses.

The frustrating thing is that Avonmouth would be the perfect place for a speedway track. In Bristol but in industrial Bristol and not residential Bristol so unlikely to ever be effected by houses.

IIRC 'no house within 3 miles'. I guess that all we can do is keep our fingers crossed for someone with the necessary deep pockets to happen by ..

The Poole line up in the 1978 picture left to right is Malcolm Simmons, Andrezj Tkocz, Christer Sjosten, Colin Gooddy, Neil Middleditch, Martin Yeates and Mike Curoso..................

Hope that helps

RP

• Like 1

Wasn't there a local tv news story on the proposed track at Avonmouth that also featured Glenn Cunningham??

Sure I remember seeing it.

I'll stand to be corrected,but i think you will find that Bristol City Council have now "planted", two b---dy great wind turbines on the proposed site.

Was it in the Severn Rd/Chittening Rd area then?

It was to have been a multi-sport motorcycling complex including moto-cross. Agree that it would have been a perfect location.

Best place I've seen for a Speedway track close to Bristol, is just off Jctn 18 of the M4. It's already a MX facility. Easy access and no houses for miles.

All can be seen on here... http://swtrax.co.uk/direction/

If you google earth the site, you can see how suitable it is.

Edited by Gresham

Best place I've seen for a Speedway track close to Bristol, is just off Jctn 18 of the M4. It's already a MX facility. Easy access and no houses for miles.

All can be seen on here... http://swtrax.co.uk/direction/

If you google earth the site, you can see how suitable it is.

That really reminds me of the setup that was intended on the MX side at Avonmouth. I wonder if it's the same people?

• Like 1

At that time there were plans to redevelop Ashton Gate, the 1.5 million was the estimated cost of moving the location of the proposed new stands to make the room needed to get the track in.

• Like 1