British Speedway Forum
hyderd

2016 Swc Semi's And Final 29/30/july 2016

With GB in the final you'll see the World Champ. Plus another GP rider in Bomber.

Cant get better than seeing the Champion making a very rare show in the UK

Obviously it's not a proper world cup anymore, with this seeding to the final nonsense. Scott Nicholls shouldn't be picked. He's shown no interest the last few years. Woffy, Bomber, Cookie and Lambert are the obvious four.

• Like 3

Obviously it's not a proper world cup anymore, with this seeding to the final nonsense. Scott Nicholls shouldn't be picked. He's shown no interest the last few years. Woffy, Bomber, Cookie and Lambert are the obvious four.

So what you are saying is it hasn't been a proper World Cup since 1984?

and I guess you never recognised the World PAirs championship or World Individual Championship, where the host nation always had seeding to the final?

agree terry, its hardly a world cup when its a one off match!

So, it's never been a proper world cup, apart from 1986 and 1987 when there was the ill fated WTC finals series?

Edited by waihekeaces1

I thought last years world cup was superb (wanting brits to do it) 2 wonderful rounds and just missing out. yes it was great,.

BUT, they went through the rounds, it felt like a competition. what im saying, clearly, is, its a one off game, you can hardly feel part of a "competition" in just one game.

• Like 1

I know we didn't qualify in 76, 79 and 82, but it was a hell of a lot harder then. If we can't make the final now, we really don't deserve to be there. We should have the beating of Sweden and Australia, especially on our own track.

• Like 1

it was only harder then due the ridiculous qualification system, which meant two of the weaker nations were guaranteed a spot in the final at the expense of stronger nations (in particular 1982, where there were only two places for England/USA/Denmark who were miles ahead of the opposition).

If you look at the nations outside the current top 3, the likes of Aussie, England, Russia are far stronger than any of the "second tier" nations were in the 80s..

So what you are saying is it hasn't been a proper World Cup since 1984?

and I guess you never recognised the World PAirs championship or World Individual Championship, where the host nation always had seeding to the final?

So, it's never been a proper world cup, apart from 1986 and 1987 when there was the ill fated WTC finals series?

My memory may not be as good as yours but I can't remember Britain being seeded a place in the 85 world final at Bradford.

Pretty sure one place was guaranteed for the top placed Brit in the inter-continental final. 100% certain that one Swede was guaranteed for 84, one Piole for 86, one Dutchy for Netherlands 87 etc, so can't see why 1985 would have been any different. Of course in the 70s, there were normally at least 4 spots for the host nation.

Edit: I assume you are talking world individual champtionship, which was the only world final at bradford in 85.

it was only harder then due the ridiculous qualification system, which meant two of the weaker nations were guaranteed a spot in the final at the expense of stronger nations (in particular 1982, where there were only two places for England/USA/Denmark who were miles ahead of the opposition).

If you look at the nations outside the current top 3, the likes of Aussie, England, Russia are far stronger than any of the "second tier" nations were in the 80s..

I agree with that, it always seemed to be either the Poles or Czechs propping up the rest with a few points.

Pretty sure one place was guaranteed for the top placed Brit in the inter-continental final. 100% certain that one Swede was guaranteed for 84, one Piole for 86, one Dutchy for Netherlands 87 etc, so can't see why 1985 would have been any different. Of course in the 70s, there were normally at least 4 spots for the host nation.

Edit: I assume you are talking world individual champtionship, which was the only world final at bradford in 85.

whilst we are disagreeing on this seeded spot. as a "competition" do you feel you are going to witness a world cup, or a day out

watching a 4TT?

certainly more of a world cup than the old World Team Cup was in my view.

the play off in same week as event leads to a tournament feel far more than the old qualifying system.

I think the SWC in it's current guise is one of the improvements upon the "olden days"

yes, agree its better, racing is top class, great passion, all good for me. Just feel one team having one match, takes away a bit.

it needs to build throughout the week...I didn't notice the finalists last year, as was enthralled by GB..but now we are the finalists,

it feels different this way

yes, agree its better, racing is top class, great passion, all good for me. Just feel one team having one match, takes away a bit.

it needs to build throughout the week...I didn't notice the finalists last year, as was enthralled by GB..but now we are the finalists,

it feels different this way

Dont go then. Easy aint it.

Dont go then. Easy aint it.

what a tw@t......where have I not praised team GB here? where have I knocked ANY English rider here? did I not say the world cup is top class? I actually used the word superb a few messages up! Are you awake or sleep typing????

In an ideal world I would like to see six or seven man teams, with a two team meeting, rather than the current four team tournament style meetings, but I realise that isn't going to happen a) because of the disparity between the top five or six nations and everybody else B) because the tournament would cost too much to run c) would meetings between two teams not the host nation attract a crowd and d) it would be very unpopular with the domestic leagues if it lasted any longer than a week.