British Speedway Forum
raymondbudd

2005/2006 GP Qualification

I remember that from next year GP will be with 16 riders, constructed of 8 + 6 + 2 qulaifiers;

However I read that from 2006 there will be no direct qualification to the GP's, with the line up being 8 + 6 + 2 wild cards.

Is this correct? Surely they cannot close the shop on qulaification. This is the sort of behavoir I expect from English Ruby union, not british speedway.

I've backed BSI until now, however I feel that this is extracting the urine a little.

Any news yet on the actual GP format from 2005 and onwards. All the formats people have come up with so far have been good but would see many pointless races. Is a knockout formula possible?

Any news yet on the actual GP format from 2005 and onwards. All the formats people have come up with so far have been good but would see many pointless races. Is a knockout formula possible?

AFAIK, it'll be the format being used for this year's WC qualifiers. This is the traditional 20-heat format, with the top 8 progressing to knockout semi-finals and a final.

A knockout format for 16 riders is not really practical as it would result in too few heats (14).

AFAIK, it'll be the format being used for this year's WC qualifiers. This is the traditional 20-heat format, with the top 8 progressing to knockout semi-finals and a final.

A knockout format for 16 riders is not really practical as it would result in too few heats (14).

That isn't going to be very good! I assume that each position will result in x ammount of points? Therefore some riders come the end of the meeting will be in a situation where it doesn't really matter.

Is there not a better system?

It could run with the knockout system having D,C,B & A finals resulting in 17(?) heats, still not enough i suppose.

The Champions' Chase meetings which used to be held at Hackney used a knock-out style formula where everyone was guaranteed at least two rides. I can't remember too many details and suspect the current GP format has been based on it. What I do remember though was that those meetings had many more heats than normal and also that a lot of riders could enter the meetings early stages.

Can anyone remember the format in more detail?

Is there not a better system?

Not really. I have seen an 18-heat variant of the knockout format, but that still means four meaningless heats for places 9-16. In any case, you really a format with at least 20 heats.

Going beyond 14 heats with 16 riders basically means a certain number of meaningless heats.

What I do remember though was that those meetings had many more heats than normal and also that a lot of riders could enter the meetings early stages.

Wasn't the Champions Chase for around 32 riders?

What I do remember though was that those meetings had many more heats than normal and also that a lot of riders could enter the meetings early stages.

Yes I believe it was now you mention it.

Yes I believe it was now you mention it.

Is this not the meeting being resurrected in the PL this year, at Kings Lynn...

I believe the format to be based on the Czech Golden Helmet.....

I cant believe that BSI have been infected with the disease that has affected speedway for so long:

A) The format for the world final SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED! - why is there a need to change things around every season or two?! IMO the GP's work - if it was a case that the BSPA put pressure on BSI then they should have held firm - I dont know what the viewing figures are for SKY but if they are good enough why dramatically reduce what has become the flagship of our sport?

B ) In terms of qualification - not only as others have mentioned it will make a mockery of our sport - and also take away the romance of the event - how many football fans are secretly pleased that Millwall made it through to the FA cup final and will be supporting them on final day?

IMO the GP's work - if it was a case that the BSPA put pressure on BSI then they should have held firm

B ) In terms of qualification - not only as others have mentioned it will make a mockery of our sport

I seriously doubt the decision had anything to do with the BSPA. I think it's more likely that they've realised that someone can save money by paying eight fewer riders. I don't think BSI pay out the prize money themselves, but lower operating costs might make it easier to find new local promotions willing to stage GPs - something that has proved difficult in the last couple of years.

I'm generally not in favour of abolishing the qualifying rounds, but they had become pointless with all the riders that were being nominated directly. It should either be that all new riders have to qualify, or they should all be nominated to minimise the disruption caused by the qualifying rounds.

I see also that the Czech`s are saying if enough German fans buy tickets for their GP then a German rider will be given a wild card.So its not about getting the best riders together, more about who is going to attract more fans :o

The traditional 16 rider 20 heats format might work for the GPs if the order of the heats is rearranged. Number the riders 1-14 based on the previous GP results with the wild cards 15 and 16 and switch what are now heats 1-4 to 16-20 as follows:

Heat 17 - 15,14,16,13

Heat 18 - 10,11,9,12

Heat 19 - 5,7,6,8

Heat 20 - 1,2,3,4

This way you stand a better chance of keeping the meeting alive until the end, whether or not you have semis and a final. These seem pointless in a meeting where everyone rides each other once.