British Speedway Forum
speedibee

Nigel Boocock Ashes Laid To Rest

According to the local paper, proceedings are due to officially start at 11.00am so would suggest if you can't get there till 11.00am you should still be in time as the service itself is unlikely to start with the actual committal?

• Like 2

Yes, I would imagine that will be the last thing to happen.

Thank you very much for the replies. Hopefully I can get there a bit earlier anyway.

Just returned from the commemoration service for "Little Boy Blue". The event was very well attended with at least, I would estimate, 500+ fans and riders. Great to see some old familiar faces, even if they do look somewhat older and with many of them showing the aches and pains resulting from their riding days!

A fitting tribute to "Booey", one of the sport's best entertainers from the sixties and seventies. Interesting facts in the programme state that Nigel topped the British league averages in 1965 with 11.09 points CMA (including 17 maximums from 34 league matches that year) and 11.16 CMA for the remaining 10 non-league team matches. He also averaged 10.70 CMA for the seven year period from 1964 to 1970! That's some record, especially bearing in mind the quality of opposition at that time. His last race in the Bees colours, which he won, was on 09 October 1976.

• Like 9

Great rider, always one of the best away riders seen at Blunsdon, and some good battles with Briggo, Ashby, Kilby, Broady. Memorable 11 points scored at Swindon for GB v. Sweden 1968 in front of 12000, GB winning, big scores from Ashby Broady and brother Eric.

Edited by Mad Moose

A fitting tribute to "Booey", one of the sport's best entertainers from the sixties and seventies. Interesting facts in the programme state that Nigel topped the British league averages in 1965 with 11.09 points CMA (including 17 maximums from 34 league matches that year) and 11.16 CMA for the remaining 10 non-league team matches. He also averaged 10.70 CMA for the seven year period from 1964 to 1970! That's some record, especially bearing in mind the quality of opposition at that time. His last race in the Bees colours, which he won, was on 09 October 1976.

Those statistics are amazing given the opposition at the time. From the eulogy by Eric Boocock and interviews with some former team mates, sounds like he was ruthless with gate positions!!

I know Peter York comes in for criticism on here but I thought he was very good today.

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 2

I know Peter York comes in for critism on here but I thought he was very good today.

100% agree. TBH I wasn't looking forward to listening to Peter York, but he presented the occasion with remarkable ease.

As for attendance I would have thought 800+, four deep along the back straight and the grandstand was about 60% full. This gives a good impression of the turnout

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12508784_966704233399619_5247631981164800795_n.jpg?oh=566e40575eeb80f21ca84eb9bbf90a86&oe=570A9792

Nigels final lap. Courtesy of David Presscott on facebook

New link below, but you may need to log onto FB to view, apologies if that's the case

Edited by full-throttle
  • Like 2

100% agree. TBH I wasn't looking forward to listening to Peter York, but he presented the occasion with remarkable ease.

As for attendance I would have thought 800+, four deep along the back straight and the grandstand was about 60% full. This gives a good impression of the turnout

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12508784_966704233399619_5247631981164800795_n.jpg?oh=566e40575eeb80f21ca84eb9bbf90a86&oe=570A9792

Nigels final lap. Courtesy of David Presscott on facebook

https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gif

Final lap link wont work for me

I have added them directly to the thread now for easier viewing.

No I won't files too big!!

Edited by dj350z

Four deep along the back straight? :o No-one was there, in fact I think it was closed off as was the end section of the grandstand.

I haven't got a very good camera but if anyone wants to have a look at my photos they're here. https://www.facebook.com/janet.hambleton/posts/10154467547727785?pnref=story

Four deep along the back straight? :o No-one was there, in fact I think it was closed off as was the end section of the grandstand.

I haven't got a very good camera but if anyone wants to have a look at my photos they're here. https://www.facebook.com/janet.hambleton/posts/10154467547727785?pnref=story

of course, I don't know why I posted back straight, should have read home straight, it's been a long time so forget which as which, not helped because the tapes were missing :lol:

• Like 1

I researched the 1965 season a few months ago and last night put the stats on the Internet. You can see Booey's record that year alongside his Coventry team-mates at http://myspeedwaysite.co.uk/1965coventryscorechart.html. Apologies for the naff formatting, it's my first go at creating a website, but enjoy the stats. Edited by Gatwick Rocket