British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Adolf(o) Marama Toyo

Adolf Marama Toyo, sometimes nicknamed by local press and friends simply as "Tojo Marama" ("Toyo Marama" and also "Toio Marama") was a well known rider and an accomplished mechanic from Fiume, Istrian Peninsula (then Italy, today Croatia). A mysterious halo often created by himself, surrounded his personal history; Marama Toyo was the son of an Istrian family of Egyptian origins, according to a source he was born at Alexandria, Egypt. Also the word "Marama" could have been a pseudonym, meaning in Croatian language "foulard", this has not yet been confirmed.

Marama Toyo who worked longtime as a sea captain all around the world, presumably watched speedway races in Australia, while travelling. Back in Italy he was the creator of Italian speedway and dirt-track racing in the early 30s in the Borgomarina Stadium at Trieste and in the black coal track of Moretti Stadium at Udine, in which riders from Italy and Eastern Europe ran together. His riding ability kept on growing through the years, he became a prominent racer in the region, exciting the crowd with his courageous riding style.

In the late 30s he joined Moto Galbusera of Brescia, the first Italian speedway motorcycle make. Marama Toyo with Plinio Galbusera, founder of the company, designed a 4-cylinder 250 cm3 engine with two compressors and a new two-stroke 8-cylinder 500 cm3 engine, which was presented in the 1938 Motorcycle Salon at Milan. Unfortunately the development of the machines was stopped due to the outbreak of Second World War.

After the end of the war, Adolf Marama Toyo came back in racing, battling against great European riders, included Croatian brothers Mrač, Babich and Fritz Dirtl of Austria. He lost his life in an accident which happened shortly after the end of a dirt track race held at the Ippodromo di Montebello, Trieste, Italy, on 30 May 1946. It is uncertain whether he was riding a Galbusera motorcycle or any other make.

Having a look through some programmes I came across the name of Adolf Marama Toyo

A new name to me.He was listed as being from 'Suez',so thought I might have stumbled across yet another African rider.Looking further I found this on a greek moto forum.Seems the guy was quite important in starting the sport up in Italy and was also involved in developing an engine or two with Plinio Galbusera

Edited by iris123